The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    I couldnt go this evening to the island on Lake Erie as planned. The ferries were not running due to excessive waves. Ha! So, I’m home, happy as a clam, and will go in the morning to meet my friends there. On the way home from work, I bought a bag of crab legs and indulged with root beer. So, I imagine all my friends are at the bars hopping from one to another. They’re having fun and so am I. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    @JenT304 I’m sorry you had anxiety. Has it gotten better as the day wore on? I hope so. I once asked my doctor for some anti anxiety pills I can use only upon an emergency or when I am feeling really anxious. It does help taking one. I dont do it often maybe once a month, but sometimes we need a little extra help to calm down. Sending you hugs!
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, wishing you another successful island trip. I guess I’m a hopeless romantic but I’m still wishing you unicorn sightings and other such AF adventures. Please forgive me if I sound presumptuous but I’m hoping you don’t underestimate what fun you can have AF. Mindless magazines can be fun, but I think more magical things than that are in store for you. I hope you discover things your tipsy friends can’t even imagine.

You’re right! I am underestimating the fun I could have. I have to get my brain off that loop - where I keep thinking I cant have fun at bars or parties without alcohol. Thanks for the pep talk. xo
  • RubyRed427
    @Ke22yB I have seen that. Even at 7 am. A few people siting at the bar in an airport. It is quite sad. Hope you have a safe trip!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @whitpauly Yes 79 days are awesome!! As @RubyRed427 says relapse has to do with our thinking. Annie Grace & Craig Beck deal with alcohol relapse & the one thing Craig Beck talks about is how we all convince ourselves that drinking has benefits & if a person relapses within the first 6 months they still are believing that alcohol has benefits...they haven't convinced themselves yet that there are NO benefits to alcohol. So perhaps that is why your urge was SO strong. Sometimes we act on our urges without taking the time to examine what we are thinking at the time. Hey, been there done that many, many times as I think most of us have. So you are in good company.

Anyway, this can be a learning experience for you & US because we are in this together & support each other no matter what...so I am cheering you on. Please do not allow the guilt to eat you up. Guilt is a good thing in order to help us make an amend, but beyond that it's not productive.

Today is a new day...hoping the best for you <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Hi....Me again. Just watched the Craig Beck video on relapse. Knowledge is power & he talks about knowing what to expect so that we are aware of what is happening...and also becoming "obsessed" with arming ourselves with knowledge about how to stay AF...anyway, it's worth watching because any of us can relapse & preparation is key in preventing it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Around some circles a relapse it's sort of known as not reaching your "bottom"...yet.

One hasn't been sick enough...or had enough days of a horrid hangover...or done enough stupid things...or lost a enough jobs...or ruined enough friendships...or hurt enough people...yet.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @whitpauly Don't beat yourself up. You had 79 out of 80 days sober. That's better than me and a lot of other people. Be proud of what you did. And Julie is right, write down your feelings about it so you can refer to it when you want to remember how you felt about it.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    An AF motivation. Thursday morning we flew to Florida got to the airport just after 9 noticed the number of people at the bar by 10 AM felt bad for them. Boarded the plane and on our way by 11:30. Two of the ladies sitting behind us as the trip went on were progressively louder. We believe they had a small flask they were sharing. The landing was a bit of a rodeo bucking and bouncing. There was activity behind us as one of the ladies said “ on no sweet Je$u$ and we realize she threw up as we were landing. The embarrassment she was feeling was painful. After a bit I was able to make out what she was saying “ not worth it “ so @whitpauly realizing you are on a good path that might have a few bumps means you just focus on your success and move on
  • lorrainequiche59
    Good Morn to All...Where is everyone? Hope weekends for all of us went well!!

@kpk54 I used to believe that a person had to hit bottom before they stopped drinking, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I've seen people hit several, what should be, "bottoms" only to go on to have more hangovers, do more stupid things, lose more jobs, ruin even more friendships & go on to continue to hurt more people...including themselves over & over till they die in one way or another from drinking.

I tend to agree with Craig Beck when he says that if a person thinks that alcohol is of some benefit, they will continue to go back to it. I also believe that once a person has damaged enough brain cells drinking, the re-structure of their brain, or the irreversible damage, changes their ability to reason things through or care enough to stop it. For some the only bottom they'll hit is 6 feet under unfortunately! For me, the saddest part is when they perpetuate the cycle by procreating & passing their damaged legacy on to their families. And then we all get to repeat it until WE stop it!! I really hope that is where we all are in this journey. <3
  • RubyRed427
    Okay, day one here. I could really use some support.

We are here for you. What’s your motivation?
  • RubyRed427
    @HazelsLunchbox @SisterSueGetsFit When you search for less alcohol- one day at a time July 2018”, be sure to go to the first page of the thread. You will see tons of resources on that first page:)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    bottoms differ for everyone. some people it's a dui, others losing custody, a really bad hangover, an OD. One of my favorite stories is a lady who had had the stereotypical rock bottoms and continued to drink but one day she burned the thanksgiving turkey and that started her journey. we never know what it will be for people to stop drinking or using.

i've been at the airport bar that early or earlier. going on vacation and enjoying a mimosa or margarita. or sometimes just getting a soda and socializing or chatting with the bartender. don't judge other people by your old drinking habits.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    bottoms differ for everyone...one day she burned the thanksgiving turkey and that started her journey. we never know what it will be for people to stop drinking or using.

Yep.

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Okay, day one here. I could really use some support.

We are here for you. What’s your motivation?

@RubyRed427 My motivation is to just be a better person. I feel like my drinking has gotten out of control, and more so, recently. I quit for 3 months a couple years back and need to do it again. I at least need to prove to myself I CAN quit for at least 30 days. I also want to lose the 15 pounds I've gained back. I want to look forward to coming home to something other than a drink. Really, I just need a break from it for a while. It's particularly hard because by boyfriend it quite a heavy drinker as well. That's pretty much what we do. I know I need to reexamine my relationship in more that this factor, but it's a really big one. Thank you for listening.