The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,306 Member
    @kcn2bluesky Thanks for stopping in! I do remember you because of your cute picture. Very happy to hear how well things are going. Xo

@ekim2016 You even quit before St. Patrick’s Day :) So impressive to hear how you never looked back. Gives me hope.
  • RubyRed427
    donimfp wrote: »
    Good to read everyone’s posts. New folks, you will find supportive people here. Don’t be a stranger!

I start my new teaching job tomorrow and am SO nervous. The nerves hit me unexpectedly. I’ve been away from the classroom for 19 years, longer than my new students have been alive. A glass of wine would help the nerves but the many, many downsides are just not worth it.

Some ideas and tips: Humor is always good. A joke, a cartoon , etc. Music is also a motivator. Give them A get to know you inventory. You can also find a learning styles inventory quiz they can take so you can get to know their style. You will do great! How old are your students? Adults or juveniles?
  • mhaenzi
    mhaenzi Posts: 1 Member
    Happy to be here!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Thanks for the welcome, @RubyRed427 ! I'm happy to have found you all over here :smile:

Good luck today, @donimfp ! You will do great!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @RubyRed427 Very Cool!!
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Has anybody tried Craig Beck's stop drinking program? Did it work?
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,539 Member
    edited September 2018
    @fdhunt1 a lot of us watch his videos. His no nonsense straightforward approach really resonates with me. I have not tried the program though.
  • SunnyDays930
    Sister Sue, no one here judges anyone else. We are all supportive. Good for you on cutting back. Remember, baby steps still move you forward. <3
  • RubyRed427
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    @RubyRed427 I was the one who mentioned “what do you call an alcoholic who doesn’t go to meetings A Drunk” that’s what my daughter said to me over 10 years ago as I was beginning to go AF and she had been in meetings for 10 years back then fortunately it’s now over 10 years AF for me and no meetings and 20 years for her AF with meetings
    So it’s an individual choice and we have to pick the best course for ourselves

That’s right. I knew I heard it somewhere.
    I dont know if the meetings are for me. I may be like you and handle life without them. I’m still in early stages so for now, I will keep going. I do know that some days I dont call my sponsor; It never occurs to me. So, I’m either not in the habit yet, or it’s not meaningful to me. I’ll see how the next few months play out.
  • Nomseys
    Nomseys Posts: 43 Member
    Does anyone else live with someone who drinks? Today was my day six and if there would of been extra alcohol available I may have given in. Does anyone have tips for the early days and constantly being around alcohol at home?
  • RubyRed427
    Nomseys wrote: »
    Does anyone else live with someone who drinks? Today was my day six and if there would of been extra alcohol available I may have given in. Does anyone have tips for the early days and constantly being around alcohol at home?

Well I live with someone who drinks daily. I poured out my fav booze because I don't care for his (scotch and whiskey). Other than that, I just from and bear it and sometimes get annoyed at how nuch he is drinking (but I keep that to myself).
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    Started the Annie Grace 30-day alcohol challenge this morning. It's the first day of the rest of my life.

How wonderful! I still go back to it to watch some of the videos and to read my journal entries. I learned a lot those 30 days, it was very helpful.
  • Nomseys
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Nomseys wrote: »

Well I live with someone who drinks daily. I poured out my fav booze because I don't care for his (scotch and whiskey). Other than that, I just from and bear it and sometimes get annoyed at how nuch he is drinking (but I keep that to myself).

Thanks for responding Ruby. Yeah I try not to be nagging. I’m trying to stay my course and remind myself that my sobriety does not depend on the decisions he makes or doesn’t make.
  • SunnyDays930
    There was an interesting Annie Grace video about how to live with someone that continues to drink. I think it is helpful. My husband drinks still (though rarely like I did...more sensibly) and I TRY not to be resentful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8&amp;t=7s
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    To live with someone who does the things you are avoiding can be difficult. I find reasons to be outside more. My wife still smokes and drinks when we are on vacation or out to dinner when we are back home. I swim and run so the smoking annoys me even more than the drinking since it’s every day and around the house
    I will be out early and again in the afternoon or read in another room, I have mentioned my feelings but after 45 years many of which I was the heavier drinker which she put up with I adjust and avoid being around if she is smoking
  • Nomseys
    JenT304 wrote: »
    There was an interesting Annie Grace video about how to live with someone that continues to drink. I think it is helpful. My husband drinks still (though rarely like I did...more sensibly) and I TRY not to be resentful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX7YvkzRQC8&amp;t=7s

Thank you for sharing this video. It reminded me that I just need to focus on my journey. A lot of great insight.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Good Morning to everyone B)@SisterSueGetsFit Sounds like a good plan. New start!! You CAN do this! Hoping the best for you <3