The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @73CL350 That's a huge accomplishment. How does it feel?

I had a conversation with my niece today who's 2 years younger. We're more like sisters actually. We hung together as kids & have remained close especially the past 15 years. Coincidently, we both developed a drinking problem in the past 10+years also...at least a daily one. We live a over a hundred KMs from each other so it isn't like we'd get together in person to drink on a regular basis, but often would have a glass or 3 or 4 over the phone at least once a week. Anyway, she's wanting to cut it out till the end of the month when she is having an engagement party for her daughter.

Of course, I've shared my experience with her & she has been a support for me through this and, at the same time, concerned about her own drinking, but not to the point of quitting. SO, it was very exciting to me that she is going to make a serious attempt to do so even if it only lasts till the end of this month. I referred her to Craig Beck, Annie Grace or Kevin O'Leary for support & who knows how it will affect her goal.

Even though we are close, because I'm not drinking & she continued to do so, it changed the dynamics of our relationship. We talk less now because we don't have our wine together anymore, so there was a bit of a loss that I've had to accept. The bottom line is that relationships DO change when we stop drinking!! It is a normal part of the process & can also be a difficult part!

Is anyone else experiencing this currently or perhaps for those who have been AF for decades can you relate? I'd love to hear your experience or struggle. <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    How does it feel?
    Not any better yet. But its early. Im giving it two weeks to start feeling better.

Yes, usually 10 days is the most difficult period according to what others have shared on this thread. I just meant how did it feel to be AF for the first weekend in years. Likely a bit of a void I'm thinking...weekends are usually the most difficult to get through for the first while. So good for you!! You will get lots of support here.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    Good Morn :) Can someone recommend an iphone app for quitting drinking. My niece cannot find the app I use, but I think it is because I have a smartphone & the apps are different.
  • Bellavita32
    Bellavita32 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    How does it feel?
    Not any better yet. But its early. Im giving it two weeks to start feeling better.

Yes, usually 10 days is the most difficult period according to what others have shared on this thread. I just meant how did it feel to be AF for the first weekend in years. Likely a bit of a void I'm thinking...weekends are usually the most difficult to get through for the first while. So good for you!! You will get lots of support here.

I'm fine at home seeing I don't drink at home it's when I'm out in social setting's..
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is sober time, i am sober, sobergrid, 24 hours a day, sobriety counter, and nomo for iphones (check for pricing, some are free some are not)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    73CL3i50 wrote: »
    How does it feel?

I got through the weekend by locking myself in the house. Not a permanent solution I know... but it's what it took.

Best wishes - sounds like you are determined. Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to our friends in the South about to go through this monstrous hurricane. Our thoughts are with you. <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @73CL350 That is an awesome accomplishment! You should feel very proud. 10 days is a big deal!
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    there is sober time, i am sober, sobergrid, 24 hours a day, sobriety counter, and nomo for iphones (check for pricing, some are free some are not)

Is there any on the list here that you'd recommend? My niece found the apps, she isn't sure which to use.

@73CL350 Congrats on 10 days! Any physical withdrawal is over, but the emotional/psychological withdrawal can last much longer. Have you checked out any YouTube videos on quitting drinking? Very helpful to me & others here. Hope they can help you to stay sober also. :)

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 i'm not AF, just friends with a lot of people who have gone the 12 step way. i used to do al anon

but to answer your question. no i don't. i've seen sobergrid and nomo on multiple lists. the best advice is to try them. like some people like mfp and some people like sparkpeople.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    SO quiet on here...I miss reading others' comments.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I hit double digits! (10 days)

Magic number 10. Make sure you celebrate this accomplishment. You are on your way to two weeks. I hope you are feeling better and keep that wolf in the woods. Dont let your guard down. Stay strong and focused. I’m so happy for you!