WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Well got most of the food into my FIL and applied for assistant director of recreation at the nursing home..they hired someone you and inexperienced ,so time will tell ...but hey at least I put the wheels in motion....
    Can't hurt for trying....
    Now taking creepy guy across the hall to Dr appointment over at the hospital...
    Then will come home and do some cleaning..whoo hoo fun day off..
    Tomorrow I'm taking my friend Lil that watches Alfie up to see her daughter that had surgery...so that will be my good deed for the day..
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2018
    Lisa I find people baffling too. In 2013 I left a job. Frankly, I was thrown under a bus and the workplace was AWFUL so I gave my two week notice. For the next two weeks, people were like : She has already quit, why does she bother coming in... and being genuinely surprised when I set up transitions meetings with the people who would be taking on aspects of my job or projects.

I can not imagine acting in any other manner, I had already felt bad because I gave the minimum ‘accepted’ notice of two weeks. (As all previous jobs I had held for any length of time got months or more notice of when I’d be moving on).

For your Drama queen to add mischief to the list!?! I settled for changing my network password to an innocent looking word that referenced a computer game tyrant (GLadOS) but knew no one would ever even see it let alone ‘get’ the joke. Wow, she was something else- I’m glad you and your co-workers were not left with Mahem to clean up!

Rye

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen in VA: We have long time friends who live in Florida. I talked to them yesterday and they were doing just fine. I hope it is still true. they don't live close to either coast. :star:

Lanette: We have the same opinion of Puget Island. It is too low for safety in high water times. We know that it has been flooded in the past, but so has our own home. There was water in the ground floor of all of these homes while the project was still under construction. My next-door neighbor lived here back then, and they stayed in the upstairs of their home. So far, we have been much luckier. We’re keeping our fingers crossed that our luck holds out for the long run. The reason these places flooded in the first place was a mistake up river at Bonneville Dam. They let too much water out at the wrong time so that it coincided with high tide here. The river occasionally runs backwards during high tides and the folks operating the dam didn’t account for the tides when they released the water. :ohwell:

Heather: Sending good thoughts for an official closing. :heart:

Lisa: Have you tried Lactaid? I see Karen asked the same question. It helps me digest milk sugars. I seldom need it at home because I can control the ingredients in our food, but when we eat at a restaurant I always take some because I don’t know what is in the food. I keep tablets in my purse and in our vehicles as well as in my medicine cabinet. I haven’t heard of papaya enzymes before. :flowerforyou:

Pip: So sorry you lost Lenny all those years ago. He looks like a nice guy. You were lucky to find Kirby afterwards. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Allie: Good luck with the job application. I think you would be brilliant in that position. :heart:

I went to the Equestrian meeting yesterday and was given a job that I am totally unqualified for. I am an assistant to someone else, and she put me in charge of finding guest speakers. I don’t see any winning possibilities for me and I’m pretty upset about it. I don’t know horse people outside of the ones that are members. My (so called) friends in the organization laughed. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Rebecca- Love that apology meme

Lisa - I don't understand people like that, it only reflects badly on them and shows their true character. I 100% agree with you about road trips. My husband and I have settled many a disagreement on a drive, likewise my daughters and I have also solved many of life's mysteries while driving. I remember when my youngest was a teen and I would drive her and her friends back and forth to Cadets, I learned so much about their lives while just being quiet. There were times though that I had to remind them that a Mother was in the car.

Margaret - That was incredibly rude of the people to expect all of that childcare from your friend. My daughter and her fiance that are getting married next summer have been trying to decide if they should hire a sitter for their reception/dance for people that want to use it. 90% of the guests at their wedding will be visiting here and will have to bring their children. Children are invited to the wedding, reception and dance, but they thought it might be nice for those parents that wanted to enjoy part of it without children. I don't know if they have reached a final decision on that or not yet.

Michele - You mentioned glitter paint and it gave me an idea for one of my craft fair items this year. I am making jewelry holders that have quotes on them such as "She leaves a little sparkle wherever she goes". I think I will paint the word Sparkle with glitter paint. Thanks!

Meg - That is an intense course!

Machka - I have not used a sleep tracking app, but have used my Fitbit and found it to be fairly accurate

Allie - Good luck on the application - You are braver than me driving the creepy guy. Your friends, family and neighbours sure are blessed to have you in their lives. I hope they all appreciate everything you do for them.

Heather - Hope something happens soon for you. Living in limbo must be so tiring.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    Very true katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    ok so im home... his appointment is tomorrow,,,,i cant take him as im taking Lillian up to her daughters house..
    I was just told to take my birdfeeder down... let me tell you this Pi$$es me off to no end..they dont want rodents and the rodents attract coyotes...i bought a squirell proof bird feeder and bought already shelled sunflower and meal worms as there wont be any waste to drop.. ughhh get me so angry...
    the creepy guy... just creepy i went over there to get him for drs appointment and he said oh thats tomorrow. no can do... so i go in and spend an hour making chili in crock pot and he is near me touching my back... ewwwwww just get away... i am not going back...
    so I am home, and it is supposed to rain hard this afternoon, going ro rest a bit, and then read the bylaws and see if I can fight people on this.... but dont want to rock the boat...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    pud3rp6nge6f.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Rebecca- Love that apology meme

Margaret - That was incredibly rude of the people to expect all of that childcare from your friend. My daughter and her fiance that are getting married next summer have been trying to decide if they should hire a sitter for their reception/dance for people that want to use it. 90% of the guests at their wedding will be visiting here and will have to bring their children. Children are invited to the wedding, reception and dance, but they thought it might be nice for those parents that wanted to enjoy part of it without children. I don't know if they have reached a final decision on that or not yet.

Good call for sitters. The problem for the wedding my friend went to was there was no good place to watch the kids at the wedding venue, and they had to take them to the venue which was an hour away so the wedding party could get ready. . Her husband is the type that will say bring it on we can handle it. Are you sure you don't have more children you want us to watch? He has always been like this,
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    Pat--Sorry to hear about your DSIL, cancer is such a nasty thing. :'(

I stopped at the clinic Tuesday after work and got the second part of the shingles shot. My arm is really sore, but it is done.

Janetr--Sounds like you are a very caring and compaasionate person. Take care of yourself at the same time.

Allie--You do what is right for you. Forgivness is a great gift for yourself.

Terry--Sending hugs and prayers. <3

Sharon--Sounds like you are doing good and should be ready for surgery soon.

Lisa--Pray the biopsy is neg. Enjoy the ride and time spent with DS.

Well the day long meeting yesterday made for a long day. I did learn somethings about changes coming in the next couple months.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Katla49 wrote: »

I went to the Equestrian meeting yesterday and was given a job that I am totally unqualified for. I am an assistant to someone else, and she put me in charge of finding guest speakers. I don’t see any winning possibilities for me and I’m pretty upset about it. I don’t know horse people outside of the ones that are members. My (so called) friends in the organization laughed. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Being in a position you are underqualified for is a terrible feeling. I would certainly be asking to have that changed.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – hope the road trip was excellent, the medical stop boring, and that all rights its self at work with the awful employee gone.

Ali – part of taking care of you is avoiding creepy guys! Yuck!

Heather – sending good thoughts that the pieces all come together! Quick!!!

Pip – In some ways I bet it seems like a long time, but in other ways losing Lenny seems like yesterday. Sending a hug.

Eating yesterday was completely nuts! If it was edible I ate it – no idea why, I was just super hungry, I was 200 calories over by lunch, and did not stop eating….Today is back to being reasonable – thank goodness! For me I still fight with hunger pains especially around lunch, it is because of my most morning schedule which is 5am up – dog walk 1.5-2 miles, small breakfast about 6:15 out the door about 7am – 20-30 minutes drive time to which ever garden client is scheduled for that day, then 3-4 hours of gardening, and a 20-30 minute drive home. Then lunch and starting of 6-8 hours of embroidery often with a dinner break in my embroidery hours. I really need to bring my lunch, but no where is there any way to heat anything up, or any place to eat, so really I need a lunch in my hand to eat while I drive. That is totally not ideal. But better than stopping for crap. I have tucked in my car a baggie of coffee flavored hard candies, they work out to 17 calories each and usually one is all I need to get me past anywhere that is tempting me.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited October 2018
    :)Katla, I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I think you should speak up at the Equestrian group and politely and firmly decline to accept the position they imposed on you. I know you to be a talented woman and there are many jobs you go do extremely well for them but not the one they gave you.

:)Allie, sorry to hear about your bird feeder. We live in a neighborhood with lots of rules and we don't like some of them, but thanks to rules, we know that people put their garbage cans away, keep their yards nice, don't park junker cars on the lawn, don't paint their houses horrible colors, and don't do many other things that we don't like. It's tricky to accept the burdens along with the benefits of where one lives.

:) I danced for longer today than last week, so my recovery continues. I was smart and didn't stay for the whole class.

<3 Barbie
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Machka, I have had a fitbit for a few years now, supposed to have a sleep tracking app on it, but really all it does is track when you are not moving. I can lay there quite still for a considerable length of time, trying to will myself to sleep, so while it said I got "x" hours of sleep, what I really was doing was laying still for "x" hours.... Not really very satisfying for me. I suspect, and this is only my opinion-I'm far from being an expert, but you have been under a great deal of stress since hubby's accident. Even tho he is getting better, there is still the various agencies to deal with (can't imagine THAT nightmare!) as well as his health and your busy, busy schedule. I'm glad you decided to take this term off (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) and I'm assuming that's helping ease the stress a bit, but still you have a VERY full plate, one that would make a lot of us mere mortals curl up and cry! I can certainly understand your unhappiness at waking up tired every morning, that certainly doesn't make your work load easier. I wish I had some wise words for you, but all I have is have you considered a sleeping tablet? Or even something like valerian or melatonin? I tried melatonin, didn't do a thing for me, but helped a co-worker considerably. My problem isn't, and never has been, falling asleep. Staying asleep is my issue, I currently take 25mg of amytripline every night. It is non addictive, I can still fall asleep without it, but as I said before, falling asleep is not the problem. I would wake up after a few hours and my brain would start working, very frustrating. I still wake up in the night needing to use the toilet, but then am able to drift back to sleep usually quite quickly. The only reason I am still tired the next day is if I stay up too late, which unfortunately happens way too often! lol
    Lisa in AK, my sympathies on the dodgy tummy, I have a slight lactose intolerance as well. I well remember a night that involved mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese and seafood, so yummy, but YIKES! I did pay for those! Hope your biopsy goes well and that the results are what you are hoping for. Unfortunate about your former co-worker. I guess we all need those people in our lives every once in awhile. Glad she only perpetrated mischief in the computer system! How wonderful that your son is going with you, so nice to have company on the trip and yes, I have to admit, some of the best conversations I've had with my kids have been on road trips!
    Heather, I am so glad that we did not have to deal with that horribly long chain that you are dealing with in relation to selling/buying! I agree, that mortgage company definitely needs a bomb put up them! Pics of the grandkids and hubby yesterday were lovely!
    Allie, sorry to hear that your dear FIL is on the downhill slope. I'm sure that your loving attention is the bright spot of his day, even tho he may not show it sometimes. Good luck with creepy guy! Just remember, if he gets frisky, you can take him down! (hopefully it won't come to that tho....) Good for you for applying for the job of assistant rec person, I think you'd be great!! Hmm, just read your next post about creepy guy, yeah, he'd have to back off if he wanted me over there ever again! Did you say anything to him? Perhaps he's unaware that he's making you uncomfortable. Good luck with the birdfeeder and the bylaws.
    Barbie, so happy to hear that your back is coming along. Also happy to hear that you are being very smart and not pushing it to heal faster. We all know how that usually works out!
    Terry, so wonderful to hear from you, sorry to hear that you are having so many issues right now.....

Yesterday was a good day til after dinner, then I'm not sure what happened, I was like the incredible eating woman! Really should have gone and brushed my teeth, but I didn't so have had to deal with the consequences. (the scale was not pretty this morning!) There is some water retention happening, but still.... Have higher hopes for today! So far it's good and will have to get to bed earlier today as I work tomorrow so will need to get up earlier as I do want to get to the gym in the morning. I have been trying to get some paperwork and that kind of stuff caught up on. Submitted about $1500 worth of claims to my extended benefits provider, hopefully everything will be approved and I'll get a nice fat check!
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Oh *kitten*!!! I just found out my Paypal account is hacked.
  • Snowflake1968
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Oh *kitten*!!! I just found out my Paypal account is hacked.

Oh no!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hi all: Hope you are all having a good day. We are eating out tonight at a Mexican restaurant to support the Crop Walk in our community. A portion of tonight's proceeds will go to support our local community kitchen as well as hunger issues around the world. A worthy cause I think. I am eating lightly today and will choose carefully this evening.

Barbie - Glad you are able to increase your exercise without problems.

Katla - Could you not have declined this position or did they not tell you the full extent of what it involved. If you go ahead with it you could learn a lot. When I was in a saddle club in SD we had a farrier come explain mustang trimming and another came that did specialized shoeing for problem feet. We also had a demonstration of equine massage. We took a tour of an Arabian breeding farm, had the boys ranch that used horses for therapy come tell about their program. You might get someone to talk on fitness for riders. I bet there are horse rescues in your area that would be glad to publicize their programs. You are supposedly the assistant so ask the person you are assisting for contact information or maybe your riding instructor could help you out.

Allie - You should stay away from that creepy guy. Bottom line, bird feeders attract rats big time and for that reason we only feed hummers. Our barn cats have brought huge rats back from our neighbor's place and she has several bird feeders on her patio.

Heather - Still thinking good thoughts for your real estate transaction.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA