October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - I only wear trail shoes mostly to keep from slipping on grass when I am running agility but I love my Topo-MT2s. They have the nice wide toe box like Altras and a 3-4mm drop. They are super comfortable and have kept me from having my feet slide out from under me many times. I think they could transition well from trail and/or snow and ice to road as well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq the best place in town to get trail shoes is TC Running Company. Those guys live and breath trail running. Kurt Decker, the owner, is at nearly ever trail race I go to, usually running an aid station. He'll be at my race tomorrow running the aid station and making his famous chocolate chip pancakes... Yum!

Hey if you want to join me for a 5 mile lap as my pacer tomorrow let me know. It's at Theodore Wirth Park. I can have pacers after 1pm and after 6 hours I won't be very fast.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun Great News.
    @emmab0902 Glad you found it and hope the doc's get it fixed up for you. You may not have been in the Running Group very much but you are still destroying the pool.

@polskagirl01 Did a follow request, thanks for setting that up.

Tonight is opening day for the curling season in town so one more activity in my schedule. Not sure if swimming is interfering with running or running is interfering with curling or ..........
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui, @shanaber, @kharmonic, @sarahthes, and @juliet3455 Thank you! It was most welcome news.

@shanaber I'm so sorry about your foot. I hope the x-rays are clear and you get the treatment you need to speed up recovery. I imagine it will be very difficult to stay off it to allow it to heal without some sort of a boot and crutches. Sending you healing thoughts.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all! 16k run done this morning and it was very humbling. I concentrated the first 10k on hills and going slow - not so successful at the going slow lol. I was trying to keep to 6min/km for the first 10k and I did ok, definitely room for improvement - note slowing down haha.

So the first km is flat with the beginning of an incline at the end, the next km is mostly climbing with the odd flat bit, then the 3rd km is varied. 3k is my first turn around. So what I did it go to the turn around, run back to the 1k mark, then turn around and go back up again (5ks run at that point) , and on the way back I turned around at the 2k mark and went back to my turn around point (9k run at that point), then back down to the start point, so by the time I get back to my original start point, I've done 12k, mostly up and down hills. The rest it my second out and back, so 2km out, and then back to the start point. I was had taken some jelly beans for the run, and used them during the first 12k. But I didn't have any water or drink.

I did have a cup of water and another cup of gaterade at my start point. And I stopped and smashed down the gaterade, chased it with a little water cause sooo sweet. Then tipped the rest of the water over me, and kept going. I did stop for maybe 10-15 seconds. I also stripped off my tank and running belt and ran the last in just my bra.

I think this was a bit late for the drink because I was really feeling it. I felt a little sick for a couple of moments after it, but that settled pretty quickly.
    And I think it took about 3k for the drinks to work it magic because the next 2km were sooo hard. I was starting to struggle mentally. But I pushed through, and at 15k I started feeling a little better and I was able to get back into my stride for the last km. At the 16k mark I was really glad to stop - whew - but I did feel I could have kept going another k ot two. So a very humbling experience actually.

@garygse I had your post in mind as I was running and I practiced your suggestions. I realised I I don't activate gluteus or my abs much so I worked on that while running and I notice my abs are a little tender now haha.

So I'm still feeling great, and on track for the half, and now I know that those last few ks are going to be challenging, but it's definitely a mental thing mostly.

Also the new Balega socks are awesome! No blisters today! Thanks for the recommendations there.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm glad everyone's finding @Stoshew71's advice helpful! :smile:

@MegaMooseEsq Good luck with your race on Sunday!
    @RunRachelleRun The news about about your biopsy result is awesome, and must take a huge weight off the shoulders! Regarding the VO2Max/LT tests, I was well rested beforehand which helped a lot, and in between the two tests, the treadmill speed was lowered down to a walking pace to get my HR back down to under 130. Then they asked me to get my HR back to 145, and maintaining 145 for 5 minutes was probably enough (I assume...I have no idea) to flush enough of the excess lactate in the blood. The new HR zones haven't really changed too much from what I was using before (which I think was a slightly tweaked version of the 80/20 calculator HR zones):

Z1 Warm Up
    Old: 118-134 ... New: 111-129
    Z2 Easy
    Old: 135-151 ... New: 130-149
    Z3 Aerobic
    Old: 152-167 ... New: 150-169
    Z4 Threshold
    Old: 168-187 ... New: 170-183
    Z5 Maximum
    Old: 188+ ... New: 184+
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    aaaah
    i was just thinking when we had some chilly weather i wish there were jackets or shirts that had a split for the watches
    and tadaaa and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg

Just wanted to post and thank you for posting this link! My jacket arrived today and I love it. Haven't run in it yet but I love the color and weight and all the vents. And it was about a third the price of the last running rain jacket I bought. The only thing I was worried about was the built in buff looked potentially annoying and it turns out it has snaps so it can removed.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Complete rest day today. Slept in and everything.
    @RunRachelleRun Yay for the great pathology report.
    @shanaber Hope your radiology report is promising.
    @MegaMooseEsq looking forward to Sunday's race report.
    @7lenny7 Would come pace for a lap if I still lived in the area, love Theo Wirth Park.

Long slow run tomorrow. Have a great night everyone.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq the best place in town to get trail shoes is TC Running Company. Those guys live and breath trail running. Kurt Decker, the owner, is at nearly ever trail race I go to, usually running an aid station. He'll be at my race tomorrow running the aid station and making his famous chocolate chip pancakes... Yum!

Hey if you want to join me for a 5 mile lap as my pacer tomorrow let me know. It's at Theodore Wirth Park. I can have pacers after 1pm and after 6 hours I won't be very fast.

Aw, that sounds like a lot of fun and right in my neighborhood (my ten-miler last weekend was a loop from my house, around Wirth Lake, and back), but with the half on Sunday morning I want to keep the legs quiet tomorrow. Plus I spent two freaking hours on the phone with my mortgage broker today and need to actually work tomorrow if I want my next paycheck to have any heft to it. I’ll be wishing you luck, though - that race sounds bonkers! If I don’t have any luck tomorrow I’ll have to make the trip out to TC Running - it sounds like a great shop. The closest running store to me is a Running Room and I’ve had mixed experiences there.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Okay, I thought of another question: I know it’s not what you’re supposed to do, but I’m considering bringing some jelly beans with me to nibble on during the half. I say “not supposed to” because I have never actually eaten anything mid run, although I did take 2-3 cups of energy drink during the last half and was fine. I meant to experiment with fueling in the meantime but totally forgot. I’ve never had any GI issues while running other than the occasional rumble. That said, I’ve never really felt like I needed anything during my long runs other than water, I’m just curious if the sugar might give me a bit of a boost, and also maybe help with the dry mouth I’ve been getting more often as the weather gets colder and drier. Plus I don’t like the taste of energy drinks. Bad idea, terrible idea, or other?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Okay, I thought of another question: I know it’s not what you’re supposed to do, but I’m considering bringing some jelly beans with me to nibble on during the half. I say “not supposed to” because I have never actually eaten anything mid run, although I did take 2-3 cups of energy drink during the last half and was fine. I meant to experiment with fueling in the meantime but totally forgot. I’ve never had any GI issues while running other than the occasional rumble. That said, I’ve never really felt like I needed anything during my long runs other than water, I’m just curious if the sugar might give me a bit of a boost, and also maybe help with the dry mouth I’ve been getting more often as the weather gets colder and drier. Plus I don’t like the taste of energy drinks. Bad idea, terrible idea, or other?

Lots of runners use jelly beans. There is even a special line of jelly beans for runners. I highly suggest you try it with a test run first of course, but eh, I have never obeyed the "nothing new on race day" rule myself so I do not really have room to talk there I guess. :smiley:

I would still try the sports drinks because they have the electrolytes you need.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary I've just heard from the uni, and they have changed my schedule all around. I'm not meeting them at 11am and having the photoshoot at 12-1. I'm scheduled to do 12k on Wed, still keen to join in? Timing might be a bit tight though lol

Hmm, could be a bit tricky. If you finish at 1pm and head out immediately it could work - we’re only 15-20 mins away. However, I’m only up for 6-7km... your call. Text me on 021 676 034 on the day if you like.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I have been so absent... I truly miss you guys... Many things have been demanding priority over my running, but I am getting up at 3 a.m. to drive 2 hours to my 50k race tomorrow. I am not ideally prepared since I have missed several weeks of running, but I signed up for it and I told everyone here that I was running it, so by God I will run the damn thing.

@LaDispute57 have a strong race today!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    https://loopet.dbspatial.com/details.php

I'm bib number 22. I wouldn't expect to be on the board until some time around 8am central time

Oh good someone to results-stalk today :D