Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    @wmd1979 calories have never been the 'root' cause of obesity nor will become the root cause. No calories have ever jumped into my mouth. They are not like evil and we have to do battle with them daily.

The question is more like why do I overate calories. What about the things in our gut that is telling our brain what they want us to eat. Keto has been breaking cravings for the macros that are bad for our health longer than any of us have been alive.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5496172/

"....By revisiting the causes for obesity, especially those stated by the leading health organisms, this article makes the case to view obesity as a consequence of disturbing the auto-regulation of hormones related to fat production and accumulation by diet composition, in particular that produced by industrialized processed food...."

What macros are bad for health?

The ones that make you health worse
    This is why ones own n=1 results are mission critical.

and those are...?

That's going to be highly individual and based on an individual's health. Someone with IR may do better with low carbs. Someone with autoimmune diseases or arthritis may find their symptoms are improved with very few carbs and worsened with more carbs. The n=1 is the key. What works for Gale, or me, may not work for you. :)
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Some of the posts here read like templates

giphy.gif
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    charlene77 wrote: »
    My husband just lost 70 pounds on Keto! He was supposed to start blood pressure medication in March. His blood pressure is down to 125/70.

He walked in the doctors office today and the doctor was thrilled as soon as he saw him. When he told him what he did, he said he is excited to see his blood work as he thinks his numbers are going to be good.

I’ve started Keto. I am down 31 pounds.

Don’t listen to everyone that says Keto is all about eating bacon.

I eat a ton of veggies everyday. I am actually aiming for higher protein than fat, unlike like many Keto people. I just stay away from sugar and don’t stress about it.

Maybe I should be considered low carb instead of Keto, since I am not into fatty meats.

You both lost weight not because of Keto. You simply lost weight due to calorie deficit. Its that simple.

So predictable, when someone has success with a keto WOE a flurry of following post will claim keto had nothing to do with it. For the record keto has nothing to do with my 22 pound loss and it was effortless with no calorie counting.

The diet she described was absolutely not Keto. She said she eats a lot of vegetables, tries to avoid sugar, and targets more protein than fat. That is not the Keto diet.

The Keto diet is:

1. A fixed, extremely low carb amount, regardless of source.
    2. Moderate protein intake
    3. High fat intake

If someone is not doing that, then it is not the Keto diet.

These plates have 20g of carbs on them. A keto'er could eat one, two or even three of these plates a day and stay in ketosis. Or none, like me. ;) And I'm a few years into this woe.

dn05p0fs0zv1.png

I actually question thr accuracy of those pictures. Mainly because i regularly eat peppers, which average 150-200g which is around 7-10g of carb. If you add in tomatoes and a zucchini, (my average zucchini was 9-12oz at 12g) it would probably be over 20g. Or did they mean net carbs? But even then i would question it.

Maybe i need to do an experiment to see the accuracy and take a picture. I suspect its a bit deceiving.

I suspect the plates are very small and it's a close up.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You better understand it and follow it closely. Too many Go on a Keto diet and they are not sure what they are doing. I had a friend try it long ago. He lost a ton of weight, that's because he nearly died and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. He looked sickly when he got out and he was so weak he could barely stand up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    https://nutritiouslife.com/eat-empowered/food-cravings-really-mean/

@jjpptt2 the above is just a quick find that can help us all learn how to dig deeper on this subject. As noted this is relative a new discovery for most of us.

Just learning calories was not the root cause of my 40 years of obesity has been helpful already.

Calories were the root cause of your obesity though, specifically, too many of them. You can continue to blame cravings or specific foods all you like, but the simple fact was you ate too much. You'll gain weight if you eat too many calories on keto too, and that is a fact whether you choose to believe it or not.

Well no point in studying patients with obesity or it's cause because you have it figured out. Just think of the money that can be saved because you have ruled out genetics and hormonal issues completely.

Genetics and hormonal issues don't invalidate CICO. If a person loses weight, it is because they are at a calorie deficit, not because the magical keto fairy removed their fat stores in the middle of the night. Just think of the money that could be saved if people could understand this one basic principle instead of jumping from one fad diet to the next.

For the record the keto or LCHF WOE is the only diet I have ever tried other than calorie deficit or restriction. I lost 50 pounds and then gained 30 back. So I failed or CICO failed whatever. It didn't seem like it was sustainable for me and I really didn't like it. I am down 22 pounds now and the questions that remain are is this new WOE sustainable and are there any negative effects to be found. Not everyone will like it but my wife and I do. I hope the magical keto fairy keeps visiting us each night for a long time.

In all fairness, you don't really know how effective it is for you still in terms of maintenance. Hopefully, its successful but time will tell.

Calorie counting helped me lose the first 50, but it doesn't work for me now. So i am working on modifying foods to get around 10% from 18% bf.
This discussion has been closed.