WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Keytone Karen - Check your messages for Dana's Facebook page. I did not get your message.

Thanks, Carol! I donated to Dana's daughter's GoFundMe page this morning!

Barbara Was it you that asked NYKAREN about how much yogurt you get from a half gallon of milk? I have some experience in this...and I can tell you there is no answer to this question, LOL! It depends on 3 main factors: The fat content of the dairy product, protein content (part of which ends up in the whey), and the amount of time you drain the whey. In commercial full-fat Greek yogurt, there are 23g of fat in a cup of yogurt. Made from whole milk, which contains 8g of fat per cup, logically you are losing about 2/3 of the volume to drained whey, if you are trying to mimic a commercial product. So 1/2 gallon of whole milk would make:

0.5 x .333... x 16 cups = 2.67 cups of yogurt.

This yield seems low, so maybe I don't strain as much whey as the commercial makers do.

You can end up with yogurt cheese if you drain it for a long time, and that is wonderful as a cream cheese substitute. When I choose this option, I choose a very high-fat product to start with (you could use heavy cream if you were really decadent) and let the whey drain for about 2 days. Delectable!

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lisa (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Lisa - where did this interim CEO come from - has she been in the organization for a while? She doesn't pass my sniff test for being a good leader and evaluating everything in terms of the "big picture". She sounds like a "kid" someone tossed in there. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't blame you for being shocked at the $11,000 being termed a "benefit" - is it listed on your W-2 as income? I am the type that if an authority figure tells me something I know is incorrect, I assume a lot of what they say is wrong. I am so glad you have Rori for an advisor!

Sending hugs and good thoughts that things will settle out once you are home and catch up on sleep. In your new home! One of your unique skills that I really admire is that you are able to land on your feet no matter what. Lisa's Lemonade B)<3

Our phone service was out for 24 hours, came back on last night. Phone, internet, TV. I must say, it was kind of nice being forced to be away from technology. I did take my tablet to the Dr's office to scan emails yesterday since I was able to hook into their wi fi. So I have a lot of catching up today.

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Busy day
    Sharon_ I read your comment about dew early this morning and said What??? It took me a few seconds to connect Dew and rain duh.
    Lisa- <3<3
    Got to get busy
    Sue B Sunshine in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lisa - Yuck! Don't know what to say other than that. Lots of love to you, sister. <3<3<3<3<3<3

NYKAREN - I'm sure I've said this before, but is there a cohort of like minded people who could make some kind of protest about all this junk to the powers that be? Surely these days people are a bit more aware?

Lost a couple of hours sleep last night. Did some helpful reading. I'm not anxious, just that my brain is active.
    Did our exercises. Did some writing. Attacked my wardrobe and sorted quite a bit of it out. Still the top shelf to go. The photos are organised, just there are sooooooooooooo many of them in BIG boxes.
    Then lunch, then we did another trip to the dump. :D Lots of stuff. Then the bottle bank. Loads. Since I've been AF I get through so many glass bottles!
    Then we came back and I WENT FOR MY RUN! o:) Phew, that was a stretch. So glad I've done it.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lisa--I'm angry on your behalf. That must have been really hard to listen to-I would have burst into tears. Not taking into account what you did with the previous CEO re: grants is completely unfair! Grrrrr. Sounds like a situation for Ask a Manager. I don't know if you've ever been to her website, but this sounds like exactly the type of thing she gives advice on. (((Take care of yourself)))
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Rita: When we stayed at South Beach State Park there were three or four camp hosts that rotated duty and the park was nearly full. They all seemed to be parked near the entrance and were easy to find. I hope your help turns up soon. I didn’t notice any camp hosts at the other two state parks where we stayed. The weather was dry, & we were there in the middle of the week. Those parks had a little space available but were well occupied, too. :star: Our Bounder is back at the RV repair place because the water heater isn’t working properly, The thing leaks like crazy if we’re hooked up to water. So far, we’ve never had a shower in our RV. They’ve all been in park facilities. :grumble: :ohwell:

Sue in WA: Taco soup sounds wonderful. I’m putting it on my “to do” list. :bigsmile:

Machka: What is ANZAC Day? :huh:

(((Felicia))): I hope you’re able to get your kidneys back in top shape. I had bladder infections years ago, but no problems with that in a very long time. I was advised to drink cranberry juice back then. It sounds like your doctor is getting right on top of things. That is good. We’ve found that female doctors are usually better and more aware than male doctors. DH was the first one to mention that. Our current doctor is a gem, but the last doctor I had was also a female and I didn’t think she provided adequate care. She always wanted to refer me to someone else, even for very minor things. I didn’t appreciate that. :grumble:

SueBDew: Love the discount policy! :bigsmile:

(((Lisa))): I agree with Lanette about this interim “CEO.” She seems to be way off base in my opinion. :mad:

Heather: You’re doing a great job getting ready for your move. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Yoga today! Yay!!! We have a rainy day & I think we’ll be cozy at home for most of the day. We will see what happens as the day goes along.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I love you guys, and appreciate the support more than I can tell you - also reached out to my husband who gave me 20 minutes out of his very busy morning to just tell me the things I know. I have worth, and that she cannot see it is due to her filters. If I didn't care about my job, this would be one heck of a lot easier.

Lisa in El Paso for way too long already... :neutral:
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    But her overall assessment was that it is still up for question as to whether my grant work over the last year was enough to offset that cost.

Which leaves me trying to cope with the fact that, to her, the grant work I've done over the last year was for something she does not believe should have been done (long story, not worth going into--chalk it up to a huge difference in philosophies from my previous CEO). This means that all the work to bring in a half million more in grants than the year previous has been dismissed as not worth doing, and of no value to the organization. That is her truth.

Lisa -- this is just ridiculous. How can that not be valuable?? I would love to have someone here bringing in that kind of cash into the institution.

I am so, so sorry. <hugs>

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    (((LISA)))
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Tumble came through her chocolate episode with no ill effects, none! Thank Goodness. Kinda wish she had had an upset tummy, to discourage further tabletop forays. We'll just have to be more diligent about pushing chairs in when we get up from table.

Allie ditto what Katla said. Your heart is inspiring. Glad you got such good laughs from the Blue Collar guys!
    Tracey I'm with you about the tangled web. As an adolescent I was an incorrigible liar and it always bit me in the butt. FINALLY learned.
    NYKaren just tryin' to do the math :noway: Freddie's gets ~$6 for a little over 32 oz of Fage fat free approx 9 half cup servings. Sounds like a half gallon of full fat organic milk at ~$5 would cost less for 7 full cup servings so could be a big savings, if I can factor the extra fat calories in... ;)
    SueB hb1dckb9wr7z.gif safe travels and con VERY grats to the DG for his hard work and excellent recovery.
    Heather I used to find it hard to discard out of date dry goods, early training from Depression era parents. It's easier now as Joe is VERY picky about expiration dates ;}
    Rebecca, never thought of clothes in a sauna, most I could imagine is a bathing suit. Surely your swag can be considered a wrap/coverup?
    Felicia "so I don't have diabetes" good on you for finding the positive in scary blood work. (((hugs)))
    Barbie thanks for sharing the good Jake news. Happy just thinking of you at line dance class.
    Michele only an hour of sleep is nothing unusual?
    Sharon :sad:
    Karen in VA thanks for adding the variables to the unanswerable equation calories/ingredient control and relative costs risk/benefit. Never thought of heavy cream yoghurt cheese as cream cheese alternative, might try that!
    Lanette chuckled at your hooking up to the MD office's wifi to catch up on email. How recently would our only options have been dog eared magazines?

Lisa I am stunned :astonished: that the interim CEO could say USD$.5 million in grants over last year was not worth your salary plus travel expenses. t3717.gif
    That simply does not make sense. :noway: Perhaps it IS time to polish up your resume and highlight those grant successes. There are many non-profits out there whose mission would speak to you AND entail less traveling. Just exactly how long is the "interim" expected to be... :devil:

Joe's gone for a bike ride so now's my chance to do noisy things... heavy laundry which makes the washer CLUNK, vacuuming, oh joy!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 19/24, rx/vits 13.5/24, meditate 11/24, walk one more step 20/24, knee exercises 11/24, core 3/12, walk Tumble 3/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 16/24.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Lisa- she sounds like a nut!! ((( <3 )))
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Felica--Sending hugs and prayers.

KJ--What a neat adventure to look forward to with your sister and her friend.

Lisa--WOW!! I am not sure how I would deal with that. After all you have done. WOW!

Not really a lot going on here. I do think I may have a touch of the flu. Not able to keep much down. Maybe that is not all bad. DGD is getting a award at school this afternoon, so leaving work an hour early so can attend that.

Last Friday DH went car shopping. We had been talking about trading the van off as seems to be nickel and diming us. So anyway he brought a 2015 Privus. It is a little car for sure and I admit I do like it so far. Never had one that small or new before. Only thing is I was driving the interstate to Lincoln to visit my friend and I was going 90 before I realized it. Being a Hybrid getting great gas mileage.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    rrigkfte2jwp.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    'Vera' on repeats tonight. I know some of you like it. So do we. :D

Had a lovely AF beer and shared a tin of anchovy olives at 5.15 this pm. Watched Antiques Road Trip and just vegged out. Bliss!

Had a bit of a shock this pm. I've been trying to find the best friend I wrote about in my first volume of memoir. Googled her to no effect. We lost touch when our children were young when I think she was going through a difficult time. Writing my book made me wonder about her. I Googled her husband and came up with someone I was pretty sure was him. I emailed the organisation he works for and asked them to pass on the email. Today he replied. Definitely him and he mentioned her name. He didn't say if my friend was still alive, or what has happened to her, but invited me to email him directly. I am a bit weirded out and haven't done it yet. I feel like a ghost has visited me. Haven't heard from her in nearly 40 years, but I guess if they were still together she would have emailed me, not just him. :/:|
    Will have to collect myself.
    She was my 'blood sister' at junior school. We did the whole pricking fingers and pressing them together thing. We stayed in touch till we were over thirty, when she pulled away.

DH emptied an under the stairs cupboard today. Needs inspection, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lisa, hugs friend! I'm sorry this is happening to you. Calming hugs!💗

Yep, Sharon, I don't understand hangups with undressing. I have been giving this body, and to find disgust with it, is energy that is pointless. Sure, I would love to be a size 4, but its in the same mindset as wishing to win the lottery.

Tomorrow he head down to Tacoma and have lunch with middle son and his wife. Wanting them to see my youngest son before he goes to Japan. It should be a fun, long day. 2 and a half hours drive there. My husband will most likely do the driving, because he knows I hate it. I might take over driving if he gets too tired.
    Made awesome tapioca, but for me it was just too sweet. Saved a bowl for my eldest son. Put a note on the container in the refrigerator. THIS IS TAPIOCA, EAT ME!

Hugs everyone!
    💗Rebecca
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thank you, my tribe, for your sheltering arms and responses. I've been needy too much of late, and this is waking me up to that fact. I gathered all my support systems this morning, my husband, my co-workers, and Rori, as well as y'all, for the lifting up that I needed, and I am ever grateful for the response. I'm sailing on fair waters now, the storm is past, and I just need a following breeze to find the way back to Arkansas next Tuesday.

I hope I can return the favor.

Thank you,
    Lisa in El Paso for a little while longer