November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    1.99 miles easy run and lower strength this morning.

MTD: 8.05 / 45 miles

@bubblegum2fitness Do you have a local running club or store? They might be the best to check in with. You may not have too many that are local. I'm in the Lower Mainland, and we almost always have to drive in to Vancouver or at least to another burn. We only have one 5k in our city that I know of, and it's on the sidewalk/not chip timed, so I skip it. I use RunGuides for a good list of upcoming races.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    google gave me this for canadian races
    idk know how helpful it is since my canadian geography is poor other than what i've learned from Due South
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    google gave me this for canadian races
    idk know how helpful it is since my canadian geography is poor other than what i've learned from Due South

Mine is limited to whether or not a city has a hockey team and which conference the team plays in. Other than that, I have no clue.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    Dumb question, but what's the "Woo" reaction mean? Is it a "woo hoo" or is it a "woo - that's crazy" or something else entirely?

LOL - I assume it means Woo Hoo!

No, it does not. It is a very negative remark, according to the mods. The mods also said they plan to USE it to make decsions, but they did not say what decisions. It is a horrible idea and needs to be struck from the board. But, eh, not my house, not my rules.

Originally they said it could mean either and I used to use it as Woohoo! until they updated it to be negative. I don't think they ever moved forward with the point thing. It's been a few years. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Guy fawkes night here so lots of people letting off fireworks. I hate personal ones. Give me a public display any day!

I thought you were in NZ? Why on EARTH do you celebrate Guy Fawkes night?

(Guinea pigs aren’t happy right now - lots of fireworks all around. This will continue all week.)

Cause we still hold on to our colonial roots... yeah its stupid.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Dumb question, but what's the "Woo" reaction mean? Is it a "woo hoo" or is it a "woo - that's crazy" or something else entirely?

No, it does not. It is a very negative remark, according to the mods. The mods also said they plan to USE it to make decsions, but they did not say what decisions. It is a horrible idea and needs to be struck from the board. But, eh, not my house, not my rules.

Originally they said it could mean either and I used to use it as Woohoo! until they updated it to be negative. I don't think they ever moved forward with the point thing. It's been a few years. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Someone recently looked at the coding of it, and apparently there is a bit of code calling it the "WTF" button. So yeah definitely not a positive reaction.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Someone recently looked at the coding of it, and apparently there is a bit of code calling it the "WTF" button. So yeah definitely not a positive reaction.

I've got really mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there really is a lot of bad information out there, and it's a lot quicker to see that something might be nonsense by tallying "woos" rather than reading a bunch of responses. On the other hand, if you want information you really ought to be doing a lot of reading in order to form your own opinion, not just going with a crowd consensus that isn't even backed up by an argument. In any case, the only times I've seen it used in this group is on accident, and I am totally good with that (I got wooed once on a post mentioning strength training but it went away a bit later so I assume it was a miss-click).
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I asked cause I have two of those on a recent post and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. That's a bummer.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I asked cause I have two of those on a recent post and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. That's a bummer.

i wouldn't worry about it for that few. 6 or 7 i look for a mistype. 10 or more i start googling what i did wrong
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

There was a new thread where they were talking about it again. *shrugs* I am continuing to ignore it, just try to warn people not to use it. :)
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Found this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

"In our community Woo means that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true."

.. not that everyone knows that or uses it that way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Well instead of going for a run in a sunny mid 60s weather... I am sitting in a tire shop waiting for them to look at my leaky tire. Yay! #grr
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good to know - I thought it meant "woo hoo" too.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Guy fawkes night here so lots of people letting off fireworks. I hate personal ones. Give me a public display any day!

I thought you were in NZ? Why on EARTH do you celebrate Guy Fawkes night?

We have lots of left over colonial things, Guy Fawkes being just one. However, a lot gets lost in the shift and doesn't work properly - we're on the wrong end of the planet to have fireworks in November. It's not dark enough early enough - the children have to stay up to 8:30-9pm to see them properly.

The same also applies to Christmas lights - By December, it's not properly dark until well after 9pm when all good children should have been tucked up in bed and asleep for hours. Also, when putting chocolate eggs in the garden for the Easter egg hunt, you have to make sure they're in a cool shady spot otherwise they will start to melt within a surprisingly short time (learnt that one the hard way). As for Halloween, which is only just becoming a thing... let's just say I planted my pumpkins last week...

What we're really lacking is some winter time festivities to brighten the cold dark nights. Need to make a bigger thing of Matariki (the Maori new year) which falls in June - good excuse for twinkly lights, fireworks, and warming hearty food.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Not got time to read through the 100-odd messages I need to catch up on, but I’ve been thinking a lot about the ‘What is Healthy?’ question.

For me ‘healthy’ is a vibe a person gives off, more than a measurable body weight, V02 max score or what a person eats. When I started running, and lost a bit of weight, I FELT healthy. I LOOKED healthy, I had energy, I had confidence and I smiled a lot.

Just recently I spent a weekend at a microfestival all about making positive changes and going on adventures (Yestival). A photographer took my photo, and I’ve made it my FB profile picture. I have had nothing but comments about how healthy I look – and yet, this is my face after a night under canvas, no shower, too much beer, all shiny and make-up free. But by god I look healthy. Because, I also look happy.

Healthy to me equates to happy. I’m happy when I’m moving more and able to move more. I’m happy when I’m eating just right (not too much, not too little, and good food, good tasting food). Food to me is enjoyment and it’s about taste. Food is NOT just fuel, it is NOT just something we have to get into us to make the day go by. Movement is NOT just for our long-term survival but for our EVERYDAY incremental survival. Tomorrow that metaphorical bus might mow me down and when they scrap me up off the floor like Flat Stanley, I want to show myself as the best version of myself that I can be, right now. I’m not doing this for my future me, but for my NOW me.

@girlinahat :heart: Very beautiful post.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623894/the-origin-and-meaning-of-woo

@zdyb23456 Bravo on 18 miles, your longest run!!

I did a nice 8 km recovery run after Sunday's HM. Felt good.