November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    For me ‘healthy’ is a vibe a person gives off, more than a measurable body weight, V02 max score or what a person eats. When I started running, and lost a bit of weight, I FELT healthy. I LOOKED healthy, I had energy, I had confidence and I smiled a lot.

Just recently I spent a weekend at a microfestival all about making positive changes and going on adventures (Yestival). A photographer took my photo, and I’ve made it my FB profile picture. I have had nothing but comments about how healthy I look – and yet, this is my face after a night under canvas, no shower, too much beer, all shiny and make-up free. But by god I look healthy. Because, I also look happy.

Healthy to me equates to happy. I’m happy when I’m moving more and able to move more. I’m happy when I’m eating just right (not too much, not too little, and good food, good tasting food). Food to me is enjoyment and it’s about taste. Food is NOT just fuel, it is NOT just something we have to get into us to make the day go by. Movement is NOT just for our long-term survival but for our EVERYDAY incremental survival. Tomorrow that metaphorical bus might mow me down and when they scrap me up off the floor like Flat Stanley, I want to show myself as the best version of myself that I can be, right now. I’m not doing this for my future me, but for my NOW me.

Well said. And I agree wholeheartedly.

I've been thinking about this question over the last few days and concluded that a truly healthy person is a fundamentally a happy person. Happy with themselves - their mental state as well as their eating habits and their fitness; their work and fun activities; their relationships with family and friends; and their ability to tackle and work through challenges; and more.

Happy to report I'm a healthy person!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Guy fawkes night here so lots of people letting off fireworks. I hate personal ones. Give me a public display any day!

I thought you were in NZ? Why on EARTH do you celebrate Guy Fawkes night?

We have lots of left over colonial things, Guy Fawkes being just one. However, a lot gets lost in the shift and doesn't work properly - we're on the wrong end of the planet to have fireworks in November. It's not dark enough early enough - the children have to stay up to 8:30-9pm to see them properly.

The same also applies to Christmas lights - By December, it's not properly dark until well after 9pm when all good children should have been tucked up in bed and asleep for hours. Also, when putting chocolate eggs in the garden for the Easter egg hunt, you have to make sure they're in a cool shady spot otherwise they will start to melt within a surprisingly short time (learnt that one the hard way). As for Halloween, which is only just becoming a thing... let's just say I planted my pumpkins last week...

What we're really lacking is some winter time festivities to brighten the cold dark nights. Need to make a bigger thing of Matariki (the Maori new year) which falls in June - good excuse for twinkly lights, fireworks, and warming hearty food.

What she said, including Matariki!
    and I HATE how retailers are trying to make halloween a thing here. if they didnt bring stuff in, it wouldnt happen cause no one here really cares.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Phone app isn't recognizing my email for some reason. Web page is. Go figure 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Phone app isn't recognizing my email for some reason. Web page is. Go figure 🤷🏼‍♀️

My phone login isn't working either, must be on MFP's end.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

My phone login isn't working either, must be on MFP's end.

Same here. MFP must be having issues
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Whew! Glad it's not just me
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

lol i reset my password before I realised it may not be me. grrr
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the birthday wishes, everyone. It was a very nice day. I had an AWESOME massage, really got into some tight spots and it felt really good. I also saw the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. I love Queen so much and it was fantastic.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/03/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/05/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0

And I'm on the board with some running! I hit the treadmill before my circuit training group, but took it very easy. The first 15 minutes felt stiff and awkward and then I felt like I loosened up a bit and got a rhythm going. Definitely kept the pace slow. Circuit training was rough though - I think my trainer had been taking it easy on me for a while before the marathon and certainly last week after, and now turned the heat back up again. Didn't focus on legs yet, but got more cardio in than I was expecting along with a lot of abs and core. Some of on my hated stairmaster and I admitted to my trainer it's my least favorite thing to do. Not sure that was a wise move!

Great job @rheddmobile on your half. Not sure if I missed any others but congrats to all who raced over the weekend.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Physically, I need it. Tomorrow I should be fine for running in the evening.

Today BAA sent out the link to submit marathon results for improved seeding. The system didn't automatically find me at Wineglass, so I went through the drill of fill out another form, generate a certificate, attach the pdf. Now it gets confirmed manually, which could take a while. But this is low stress; worst case, I'm just seeded according to my Boston 2018 finishing time. I can wait for the wheels to turn and see where I shake out.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's some run @garygse. Nice work!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

lol i reset my password before I realised it may not be me. grrr

It finally let me on using my browser, my app still won't let me on. How are the people posting that they can't log in managing to post? I couldn't get on by any means, the computer wasn't working either. I was getting really depressed at the idea of trying to calculate carbs manually!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm back in by mobile. When i was on the computer, it wouldn't let me log into my diary. I suppose it could be a bit before they get it sorted completely.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »

Re Guy Fawkes...I never knew whether we celebrated because he was caught, or because he tried. :neutral:

Depends on if you're Catholic or not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Mobile App is now working again.