November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Rest day today, walked the dogs for just under 2 miles.

November Goals: 28 miles
    11/2: 2.15
    11/4: 2.47
    11/6: 2.59

I made a ticker!
    exercise.png

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I just caught up with about 200 posts. wow!

@rheddmobile great race report, and a great job on the race for you and your husband.

Run/walk - Run walk is pretty much mandatory for ultras unless you're an elite. I power hike any significant ascents, and many of the insignificant ones. Some runners do use a prescribed run/walk. When I ran the Superior Spring 50K in May I ran with a guy who subscribed to a run 5/walk 1 mile plan. At the end of one of his 5 mile run intervals we said our goodbyes and wished each other well as he slowed to a walk. He later passed me on one of his runs and finished ahead of me. Considering how I get muscle fatigue late in an ultra, I should consider doing something like that on my next ultra, but it's so hard to force yourself to walk when you still feel good. This was the trouble I had at the Loopet Loppet last month. I felt great so mostly ran 28 miles, then had to walk the rest. Even if it doesn't improve my time I'd probably feel better with a structured run/walk.

HR training. @garygse covered it well a few pages back. I'd like to offer more insight as to why you don't want to run faster than necessary. There are solid reasons for hitting certain heart rates during certain runs. Recovery runs, easy long runs, tempo runs, LT runs, strides, intervals, etc. If you're into HR monitoring, you're trying to hit certain heart rates for each type of run, which have a specific purpose and benefit.

Some here have mentioned they know they're running their easy runs at higher than "conversational pace", but it works for them. I'd caution you, though, that running faster than necessary carries risk over time. The point of an easy run or recovery run is to provide a low-stress stimulus to your heart, lungs, bones, muscles, etc. This helps in recovery, add training volume, and keeps you fresh for the next days run. If you're running these runs any harder than that, you're doing your body a disservice. You're guiding principle should be to run at the slowest pace which still provides the benefit of the prescribed run. This keeps you injury free and fresh, as well as keeps the level of cortisol, a stress hormone, at a lower level. Any miles run at a faster pace than this carry no additional benefit but do carry additional risk.

There's a term called "junk miles". Now this means different things to different runners, but in this context, it's anything run too hard to be considered an easy run, but not hard enough to be considered a threshold run. You're putting on more stress than an easy run, but not getting any additional benefits, or not getting them as efficiently as you could had your dialed in your HR for the specific purpose of the run.

On the other hand, if running at such a pace makes you happy, who am I to say not to do it?

Well I attempted a flat out run. Definitely hit my peak, stopped at 4k cause I started feeling light headed and slightly nauseated, so definitely zone 5. Max hr was 181 haha

Then I had an epiphany, I have a wrist based HRM, not a chest one. So accuracy is way off.

What I did realise is when I feel comfortable is probably zone 3, with occasional strides into 4. Today's run was definitely a 4, and hit 5.

So basically I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing.

Have to say, it was fun going that quick lol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Then I had an epiphany, I have a wrist based HRM, not a chest one. So accuracy is way off.

This is not true. Assuming you have a Garmin, Apple, or another major brand, they are accurate. Oh and assuming you are wearing it in such a way that the sensor is close to your skin and not bouncing around.

You could always test it by manually measuring your heart rate and comparing if you do not believe your watch. Assuming you count well, should be with a handful of BPM.

i did not test mine outside but a borrowed chest HRM was close to my wrist HRM on the treadmill. and it was a beat off at most when i was at the dr.