Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few different gyms over many, many years and I've never seen it. I'm sure it happens from time to time just about anywhere you can imagine. I've been harassed many times on the street, though.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I've been to a few different gyms over many, many years and I've never seen it. I'm sure it happens from time to time just about anywhere you can imagine. I've been harassed many times on the street, though.

OMG, I love your profile pic. I think I just snorted.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I’ve noticed some of the people walking by the yoga classroom sometimes staring a little....but thirty middle aged and older ladies all in down dog position rear ends facing the window would be a sight, I suppose. Harassment? Never. And a few of those starers have come and joined us.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    megsmom2 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed some of the people walking by the yoga classroom sometimes staring a little....but thirty middle aged and older ladies all in down dog position rear ends facing the window would be a sight, I suppose. Harassment? Never. And a few of those starers have come and joined us.
    I think there may be more of that than people realize. I know I was once closely watching a woman doing power cleans because it’s a lift I wanted to learn how to do, and I suddenly realized that she probably thought that I was being creepy.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fortunately - I’ve personally never seen that or experienced it. Ive been a member of my gym for about 10 years. I find MFP forums to be much more hostile than any person I’ve run into at my gym!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was a lifeguard at a gym so I got to hear and see lots of stuff all the time... one guy was banned for comments he made to women, but after a month or so he was allowed back in for reasons I don’t understand. He would make comments to us female lifeguards when we were working and it made our shifts really uncomfortable.
    I definitely prefer running in the great out doors, it’s a very safe community, even early in the morning I see many officers out on patrol on my running route and I don’t feel scared and no one bothers me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Only a few times have I witnessed it in my 35+ years in the the gym. Most of it occurred in the 80's and 90's though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've going to gyms in the US and then in Europe for years and never experience any problems either. They always feel like very accepting environments where everyone is there to do their own thing. The problems have been outside in the "real world" where I've had people yell or honk from cars when I'm riding my bike slowly up big hills. I just wave back and smile. I might be struggling, but I'm getting more exercise than they are in the car so who cares?
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    At my gym I was never really harassed, but what made me quit was the owner making a comment about complaints about my body odeur. Note this was a woman's only gym and there were a number of ladies that saw the gym mostly as a social thing vs really workout area.
    I was one of the few that I actually worked hard at the gym and did not participate much in the banter and I don't wear those artificial perfumes that most ladies in that gym wore.
    I sweat when I work out hard and yes that smells like sweat I am sorry I thought this was a GYM? I know who did the complaining She was always complaining about body odeur hating around in after a hard workout session in the class before us. Unfortunately she is also a very loyal, socially very central customer and mother of one of the trainers and the gym was struggling.

Anyway I asked around in my social circle and everybody was stunned about the comment. I am not a smelly cat at all. Just like to work out and sweat out my stress.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    no. thirty years ago women were really not welcome and men were very verbal about it....not now.

Agreed - had this happen in my Student Union gym 25-30 years ago - 2 guys came in as I was leaving & I was told 'This is for men only' by one. The other guy questioned him ('is that right?' & he replied 'No, but we don't want them in here do we?') no staff around to report it to - I regret not engaging now, and in fact I just never went back there.

That's the single, only time it has happened to me though - fast-forward a few decades and several gyms and all have been fine. A combination of context and lack of staffing meaning that sweetie thinking he could get away with trying (well succeeding really!) to intimidate
  • lisamichelleh
    lisamichelleh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm sorry to hear men were saying that. We have a a super enthusiastic gym owner who greets everyone by their full name (usually yelling from across the gym if he's not at reception). Also calls out when you leave, and has run outside to protect women being harassed by a meth head down the road. Very welcoming gym!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've always felt very welcoming and not experienced harassment.
    I've been in different gyms in several countries over the years.
    I might get the occasional stare from men but I either ignore them or give them a stern look and that's normally enough to mind their own business.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    no. thirty years ago women were really not welcome and men were very verbal about it....not now.

Agreed - had this happen in my Student Union gym 25-30 years ago - 2 guys came in as I was leaving & I was told 'This is for men only' by one. The other guy questioned him ('is that right?' & he replied 'No, but we don't want them in here do we?') no staff around to report it to - I regret not engaging now, and in fact I just never went back there.

That's the single, only time it has happened to me though - fast-forward a few decades and several gyms and all have been fine. A combination of context and lack of staffing meaning that sweetie thinking he could get away with trying (well succeeding really!) to intimidate

If it only happened once, it seems unfair to agree with the generalization women weren't welcome and men were very verbal about it.

Also, it's likely that the culture at all gyms were not identical.

What I was agreeing with is that it doesn't happen now. I also agree that all gyms are not identical.
This discussion has been closed.