The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    ::hides from Tabata:: My poor abs, last time I did Tabata I had trouble sitting up. We determined too advanced right now and went back to bicycle kick crunches. I have been told there is more tabata types beyond abs, and I fear, oh yes I fear, for it is in my future she assures me.
    Lol, my client roll eyes and whimper when I tell them we're doing Tabata that day. But my 3 clients who got their lowest BF% ever all did it with disdain. They all will admit it's worth it in the end, but they don't enjoy doing it.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    So, with this Tabata Protocol... is this for any exercise? I googled it, and it said that it was eight sets of 20 seconds going all out followed by 10 seconds of rest and the video showed it with squats. Does it matter what you do so long as you're following the timing?
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Just posting for reference, maybe some questions in the future! :)
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding shoulder exercises. I have some generalized pain in my left shoulder - the doctor says it is some type of "itis" - bursitis, tendonitis or a slight rotator cuff tear. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and said I can do some light weights. When I do most of my strength work - pushing and pulling - it is no problem. However, I feel the pain when I try lateral raises and the like @ 10#. Is there a specific exercise I should do to try to rehab the shoulder or at least not do additional damage? My shoulders are by far my weakest area and I would really like to develop them but this stabbing pain has scared me off of doing any direct shoulder work at all. Thanks!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    INCLINE PRONE REAR LATERAL RAISE- Great exercise that targets the posterior deltoids (back of shoulders). Set an incline bench between 35-40 degree angle. Lay prone (facing the bench) with feet flat on the floor. Now holding a pair of dumbells and with your arms slightly bent, retract your shoulders back keeping your arms out wide. Try thinking about "touching" your elbows together behind your back. It's not possible (unless you're a contortionist). Going back down, think of yourself hugging a tree. Try not to straighten your arms at all since this can put pressure on the elbow joint. If done correctly, you should feel this in your rear shoulders, some upper back and also some of your trapzieus (rear bottom of your neck).
    This exercise strengthens the rear delts and helps with posture. If you have shoulders that slump forward, work on a computer at a desk alot, suffer from pain around the neck area, it can be because you lack the strength to keep your shoulders back. Strengthening the rear delts helps to keep your shoulders back. Posture is mostly habitual, but stronger rear delts will assist in having better posture.

I so need this! I don't have an incline bench, and not in a position to get one soon. Any other way to do this one, say with a chair, or simply standing a certain way?
    Keep a flat back, bend at the waist to a 40 degree or lower angle. You can sit in the chair and lean over your thighs and do it to, but don't let your back round out.

Thanks again for the advice!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So, with this Tabata Protocol... is this for any exercise? I googled it, and it said that it was eight sets of 20 seconds going all out followed by 10 seconds of rest and the video showed it with squats. Does it matter what you do so long as you're following the timing?
    Yes. For instance if I did forearm curls with Tabata, I wouldn't get my heart rate up high enough. But large muscle exercises like legs, back and chest could be used with it. Most of the time I do it with cardio on my clients. As of late it's been with sprints, but you can do it with jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, running in place. Key is that the 20 sec needs to be all out effort.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have a question regarding shoulder exercises. I have some generalized pain in my left shoulder - the doctor says it is some type of "itis" - bursitis, tendonitis or a slight rotator cuff tear. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and said I can do some light weights. When I do most of my strength work - pushing and pulling - it is no problem. However, I feel the pain when I try lateral raises and the like @ 10#. Is there a specific exercise I should do to try to rehab the shoulder or at least not do additional damage? My shoulders are by far my weakest area and I would really like to develop them but this stabbing pain has scared me off of doing any direct shoulder work at all. Thanks!
    If it's a "stabbing" pain, you shouldn't do the exercise at all. So what kind of lateral bothers it? Front laterals (dumbells raised in front of you), side laterals (out to the side) or rear laterals (to the rear) or all of them?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back with me. The pain is only when lifting to the sides. Stabbing might not be the best description of the pain at this point. When it first began (May 2010), it truly felt like a knife being driven into the ball of my joint. Now, it is more of a dull ache, not constant, but there quite often. I saw my doc yesterday who said I could probably rehab it on my own with some light lifting. While at the gym last night, I did 2 sets of 12 reps of lateral raises with 5# dumbbells. This morning both shoulders feel okay other than "popping" in the sockets each time I raise my arms from the sides. I just want to make sure not to do more damage but still want to try to work on strengthening my shoulders. Thanks again.
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    I find that when Im using weights and trying to life a heavier weight than I normally use that I have problems with my left wrist is there anything I can do too strenthen this? Thanks
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for getting back with me. The pain is only when lifting to the sides. Stabbing might not be the best description of the pain at this point. When it first began (May 2010), it truly felt like a knife being driven into the ball of my joint. Now, it is more of a dull ache, not constant, but there quite often. I saw my doc yesterday who said I could probably rehab it on my own with some light lifting. While at the gym last night, I did 2 sets of 12 reps of lateral raises with 5# dumbbells. This morning both shoulders feel okay other than "popping" in the sockets each time I raise my arms from the sides. I just want to make sure not to do more damage but still want to try to work on strengthening my shoulders. Thanks again.
    If it's "cracking and popping" then it sounds like the tendons are "jumping" over the bones. That's what makes the popping sound. Just about everyone has an exercise that will cause this. Some in the knees, some in the elbows, some in the wrists. If it aches when you lift, but not through regular movements, then it's probably a mild form of tendinitis. Kinda comes with the territory. Work on the flexibility of the joint and massage should help. Stick to weights you can do that don't cause immense pain. I'm saying this with the assumption that there is no ligament, labrum or tendon damage.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I find that when Im using weights and trying to life a heavier weight than I normally use that I have problems with my left wrist is there anything I can do too strenthen this? Thanks
    They sell "grippers" at most sports stores to help build up the forearm strength which will help increase your wrist strength too. I'm assuming you're right handed so try doing some stuff with your left hand. For instance if you put groceries away, do it with the left hand. Clean a tub, use the left hand.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    They sell "grippers" at most sports stores to help build up the forearm strength which will help increase your wrist strength too. I'm assuming you're right handed so try doing some stuff with your left hand. For instance if you put groceries away, do it with the left hand. Clean a tub, use the left hand.

yes I am right handed and thanks fo rthe info
  • ninerbuff
    Options

yes I am right handed and thanks fo rthe info
    Pleasure. Let me know how it goes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    LYING LEG RAISES: This targets the lower abs. People with low back pain may want to try a one legged version of it since it does involve some lower back stabilization.
    Lie on your back on an exercise mat (or soft ground). Wedge your hands under your butt.
    Slightly raise your shoulders and feet off the floor (keep a slight bend in your knees) - that's the starting position.
    Using your abs, raise your legs to approx. 30 degrees. Keep the rest of your body steady.
    Then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position (don't let them touch the floor).
    Repeat until you complete your reps. Remember to breathe properly. Blow out on the raise and breathe in on the lowering.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    LYING LEG RAISES: This targets the lower abs. People with low back pain may want to try a one legged version of it since it does involve some lower back stabilization.
    Lie on your back on an exercise mat (or soft ground). Wedge your hands under your butt.
    Slightly raise your shoulders and feet off the floor (keep a slight bend in your knees) - that's the starting position.
    Using your abs, raise your legs to approx. 30 degrees. Keep the rest of your body steady.
    Then slowly lower your legs back to the starting position (don't let them touch the floor).
    Repeat until you complete your reps. Remember to breathe properly. Blow out on the raise and breathe in on the lowering.

I'm having a moment of pride that I do all the exercises you've detailed. :happy:

That said, the 30 degrees, I didn't know about. I probably raise my legs too high. I'll make the adjustment. Thanks again for the excellent advice.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Man, you give such great info!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I'm having a moment of pride that I do all the exercises you've detailed. :happy:

That said, the 30 degrees, I didn't know about. I probably raise my legs too high. I'll make the adjustment. Thanks again for the excellent advice.
    30 degrees keep tension on the abs. If you raise to high, it takes away the tension. Good job on doing the others. I gotta lotta more and to keep the thread moving, I'll add one every few posts or so.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some great leg exercises that don't tax the knees. I spin alot but it's not trimming my thighs as much as I want. I can do some interval running on a treadmill but my knees will hurt afterwards. I've done squats with weights but can't put as much weight on as I need to build strength because again-the knees! I've been told by a physical therapist not to ever do the leg extension machine because it will put too much stress on my knees. ARRGGHH! So, any advice besides lunges and squats?(which get real old after awhile!) Thanks!