Less Alcohol - November 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    raindogmaa wrote: »
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Welcome to the new people. Congratulations @forestdweller1! Five months is amazing. @MissMay that sounds awful. How awesome you were able to handle the situation in a way that you feel proud of. Yay!

I failed on my weekend away. I started out well. I ordered two large bottles of Perrier at the concert, but the night was just too long (there was the initial wait from when doors opened and then three bands for a total of 5 hours). I ended up ordering a wine, which would have been fine, but it came in a can and was 8 oz. That was large enough to get me quite buzzed (my tolerance is quite low currently) and proved to be my undoing, and I ended up saying yes to another. I learned: a) I am currently not able to go sit in a bar/club for more than a couple of hours and not drink; b) once I have the first drink, I am likely to have a second (and third and maybe fourth).

Starting over. Day 4 AF. My birthday is in a couple of Sundays, and I have to figure out a fun activity that will not involve drinking. My liver is unhappy with my two nights of drinking, so that should be sufficient motivation to take a good long break again.

That right, start over. Eventually it'll get less and less if u focus on af it'll will come.

Happy, happy birthday to u when it comes. If u want to drink on your birthday may be u could try to keep dry till then. Then on your birthday have sips of water through out the night . That keep u hydrated and fill u up. Alcohol is dehydrating. Abt!! Have a super wonderful day :)

Thank you! I want to try not to drink until we go on our family snowboarding holiday in December, so I am going to aim for AF till then. That will be about a month.

I sure am noticing how awful I feel the next day after drinking. And water just doesn’t seem to cut it for me when I am out, but the flavoured Perrier was delicious. I felt weird ordering a third Perrier. Geesh. So silly thinking about that now. And I have to let go of trying not to drink my calories in those nights. I thought I had, but when the time came, I quickly ordered the wine. It would be much better for my health to have a pop or juice than a drink or drinks.

My way out now is soda water or mineral water with sliced lemon or berries. You can have as many as u want, by the end of the evening u feel good.

I either have bitters and soda or lately I've been asking for tonic water and lime. It's a different taste but it adds variety and makes me feel like part of the crowd!

What's it like for calorie intake?
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Hi everyone... Usually Thursday night is me with a glass of wine watching Grey's Anatomy (and let's be honest 1 usually turns to 2-3). Tonite I watched with a nice hot cup of tea and now off to bed. Yay me! Moving along nicely with my goal of no drinks until Thanksgiving.
    I’m doing the same! No drinks until Thanksgiving!

• SanDiegofitmom
    Day 4 and first non-wine weekend in a while. I’m looking forward to it actually! Have a good weekend all!
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    Hi everyone... Usually Thursday night is me with a glass of wine watching Grey's Anatomy (and let's be honest 1 usually turns to 2-3). Tonite I watched with a nice hot cup of tea and now off to bed. Yay me! Moving along nicely with my goal of no drinks until Thanksgiving.

Way to go! I was the same way, but with more nights and shows than just Thursday with Meredith Grey! Having tea really helped me and made me sleepy in a good way. Keep it going!
  • raindogmaa
    raindogmaa Posts: 205 Member
    raindogmaa wrote: »

I either have bitters and soda or lately I've been asking for tonic water and lime. It's a different taste but it adds variety and makes me feel like part of the crowd!

What's it like for calorie intake?

12 oz of Tonic Water is 124 calories -- so I definitely have only one for sure.
  • ElC_76
    edited November 2018
    MissMay wrote: »
    Hey everyone. WOW look at the long timers getting back in here. Great to see you again @SanDiegofitmom, @htimpaired and @Alzzi76( yup I recognized you😉)

Ohh dammit :D ..

Thanku for the welcome. Its great to be back in B)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Just starting so here goes!

@annliz23 Woo hoo! Well done on your first step.

What are your plans for alternatives to your usual ritual?
  • Orphia
    Writing is one of the ways that not drinking has made me more productive and creative.

I wrote on my blog about less alcohol and my going over 9 months so far.

Link on my profile, which is public. /shamelessplug :smiley:

• Orphia
    Sunday dinner is always a test for me. Itll b 5 weeks today

@ElC_76 Ah yes, that homesick sort of Sunday night feeling.

It's only made worse by feeling guilty and making Monday morning crappy.

Rise above, and roll on your 6th week! Hugs.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Hi all the new-to-me faces! Loving all the insights.

I am finishing up day 7 af, and I am noticing some grumpiness/depression, but I am sure that it is not new and was just previously ignored or hidden by alcohol. I have used alcohol as a way of self-medicating since my teens. It has been tough to feel all the feels lately.
  • SanDiegofitmom

I am finishing up day 7 af, and I am noticing some grumpiness/depression, but I am sure that it is not new and was just previously ignored or hidden by alcohol. I have used alcohol as a way of self-medicating since my teens. It has been tough to feel all the feels lately.

I’m on day five (doing a 10 day AF challenge until Thanksgiving) I am also grumpy and my kids driving me nuts lol.

• ElC_76
    edited November 2018

I'm very sympathetic. That's my old tune and still seeing it as old. I'm hoping it'll never come back.
    I have now found alternatives. I still have the occasional old thoughts of just having a shot to help me get over what I'm going through but I have come this far and don't want to break the streak.
    Also the after feelings of guilt and intoxication has been bad enough for me to dread it again. The money that gets spent in detoxing to feel good again isn't worth it. Makes it double spending.

Hang in there.. your doing great job.. that feeling will soon b over. Itll be from detoxing. Your body has been used to alcohol so u have to break the habit. But u need to replace it with a treat.. Something u enjoy that's healthy.
    Atb!!.. we are here to support.. <3
  • ElC_76
    Orphia wrote: »
    Sunday dinner is always a test for me. Itll b 5 weeks today

@ElC_76 Ah yes, that homesick sort of Sunday night feeling.

It's only made worse by feeling guilty and making Monday morning crappy.

Rise above, and roll on your 6th week! Hugs.

*Hugs * .. thanku for your kind words.. :)

Week 6 has begun.. o:)B) I drank Sanpellegrino with lemon slices. Ready for another 5 k run/ walk when I get home.

(I used to have go straight to bed and wouldn't see me till next day. My family duties waiting for me to wake. Not nice :/ )