WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Sorry if I can't keep up with y'all. I'm a little tired today. But I am reading.

Willow from WA USA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends.
    Happy Birthday Kelly. So glad you are on vacation but it sounds like you are working very hard still! Glad you kept your precious time for yourself and didn’t let the clueless parent play on your soft heart. Good for you.
    Tomorrow is yoga and cleaning the house. My housekeeper usually comes on Wednesday but we will be gone.
    Out of comments.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    Iiii
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

ride hm 2 gym- 5.34min, 15.9amph, 1.5mi= 87c
    0 runner- 15min, lvl8, 10.26min mi, 1.42mi= 94c
    Helix Machine- 15min, lvl 8, 64arpm, 1.64mi= 117c
    stairclimber- 10min, 46floors, 735steps, lvl8= 105c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7min, 1.4= 58c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.03min, .9.55min mi, 5mi= 67c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.03min, 9.55min mi, .4mi= 52c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.14min, 8.1amph, 2.5m = 190c,

total cal 770
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    SIL passed away .Both his Sisters were with DD.He was like our son,a wonderful husband
    & father ,a man who will be missed.

I hope and pray that comfort is there for you all. This must be terribly hard.

Sharon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of 10MS Butt Lift DVD, held my plank for 3 minutes then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to use the stairstepper. Haven’t done that in a while

Willow, Kathy, and anyone else – do you know that I’ve never had cranberries? I’m sure I like them since I’ve had cranberry juice and canned cranberries. One question: are there pits or seeds in the cranberries? Or are they like grapes that don’t have them?

Allie – haven’t heard from DJ but I know that she gets on. I see her “liking” my diary entries. Do you know her new screenname? Lenora is taking a social media break but I have been in touch with her lately. Does it matter if you go in to work early? If you’re paid on an hourly basis, doesn’t the hour start when you punch in and how would Mary know when you punched in? If it’s a salary, what difference does it make when you start? You’re getting paid the same amount. And how does she know that you don’t go in early to go to the bathroom? Hope you get that raise.

Felicia – my son did marry someone from Spain, but they live on the island of Reunion which is a French protectorate, like Puerto Rico is to the US. Why do they live there? I don’t know honestly. I would think she’d want to be in the same country as her family. Then again, flying to Spain from Reunion isn’t nearly as expensive as flying from the US to Reunion. He didn’t even come home for his sister’s wedding! Said “we can’t afford it”. He only knew a year in advance. You mean to tell me that he couldn’t have saved money? Then he tells her he can’t come “for his mental health” whatever that means.

Leftovers: I have a bag full of plastic containers from things like Cool Whip, Chinese take out, that sort of thing. I use them to give people leftovers since I don’t want the containers returned to me. I also use them when I donate to the soup kitchen. I’m lucky in that they’ll take food that was previously made that I don’t want as leftovers.

Sharon – I bet one ingredient in snowman soup is carrots! Wonder if there are pieces of coal in it too? A friend of mine had bariatric surgery and I was surprised at how little psychological counseling she got. Basically it was “why do you want it, did you think about it, OK, I guess you’re OK”

We had to get a replacement blind for one in the back bedroom and now they come without the cords on the side. I guess they’re concerned about children getting the cords caught around their necks.

Kelly – I see no reason for you to feel guilty at all. You do so much for those kids as it is, that parent should be eternally grateful to you. Happy Birthday!

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army and then Habitat for Humanity. Found an ornament, one was in a box marked $2, another one had no price on it and wasn’t in the box. So I took the one that wasn’t in the box. The gal gave it to me for 25 cents. Then went to bowling. Ceramics tonight and then mahjongg

Barbie – how nice of you to invite those people for TD

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    1uufz5ywybng.jpg
  • trucker743
    Options
    Willow! You’re just up the road from me! I’m in Issaquah! You’ve come to the right place! First and most important thing right now is logging every bit that you’re eating and drinking now. It helps to know that so you have a better idea of where to make changes.

I started exactly where you are now in May. 262#. As of this morning I’m at 231.2. Will your health care cover having a dietician go over your food choices with you? I’m getting ready for bypass surgery, so I have had a couple of consultations about two months apart and it’s helped me a lot. This is a great support group. There’s a lot of knowledge here about different ways of dealing with eating troubles. 👍 and there are online chair yoga videos on YouTube. Even moving your arms to extend and contract them helps keep some of the muscles you breath with health. I miss walking too, but there's tons of other movement and stretches.

Oh, Lisa! I SO remember that "summer smile"! Makes me recall younger days when my blood was much warmer! (And I was a lot more wisely foolish.) And yes, men can indeed be "goobers"! I haven't heard that expression in years, and I had to chuckle.

Lucy, are you getting enough to eat earlier in the day? I try also to schedule lots of things to keep me really busy.

Welcome, Kathy! What part of the globe counts you as a resident?

Carl, that soup freezes very well! Gz on your choices at lunch. Great thinking. I live having them pkg half to go before they bring my food out!

Sharon near Seattle (in Issaquah)
  • trucker743
    Options
    Machka, the area where you stopped to take DH's picture reminds me of our temperate rain forest here in Washington State. So lovely!

Linda, don't we do the sikkuest things to ourselves sometimes? I think some of the best belly laughs I've had are telling about things which could have gotten me killed that I managed by dumb luck (and a great deal of ingenuity sometimes!) to survive. That's why the camping and travel memories that are the best are often the ones where things went south!

Oh, Paige! Your pets are adorable! And such great "soulful" names! 😍

Sharon near Seattle
  • trucker743
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Kim, I had salt and pepper, and more pepper than salt for years. Guess what!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, the area where you stopped to take DH's picture reminds me of our temperate rain forest here in Washington State. So lovely!

Sharon near Seattle

Our climate here in Tassie, and yours, are quite similar. :)

We have temperate rainforest here too.

Machka in Oz

• PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Willow! You’re just up the road from me! I’m in Issaquah! You’ve come to the right place! First and most important thing right now is logging every bit that you’re eating and drinking now. It helps to know that so you have a better idea of where to make changes.

Sharon near Seattle (in Issaquah)

We were just in Issaquah this weekend running errands (go me! I went out to run errands this weekend!)
    exermom wrote: »
    Willow, Kathy, and anyone else – do you know that I’ve never had cranberries? I’m sure I like them since I’ve had cranberry juice and canned cranberries. One question: are there pits or seeds in the cranberries? Or are they like grapes that don’t have them?

You have to cook cranberries with sugar for them to be edible. But when they're cooked, they are delicious.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Rebecca—I had to laugh, that your bottle of “fortified” egg nog was sitting next to your supplements. As if you should take them daily for good health.

Michelle in NC—I am so sorry for stirring up such painful thoughts. I can reach my son through facebook, and we've got an old address that he uses, but otherwise we don't know if he's alive or dead most of the time. I hear you; it's terrible. I hope your baby boy is all right, and not going through some kind of emotional break-down. That high IQ sometimes works against young people. It makes them cynical, and they question everything you ever taught them. They might overthink things, and find it hard to connect with mere fallible humans. Hugs.

Kathy—I want to come to your house and sample your cranberry butter. (I've never heard of it, but it sounds yummy!)

Sharon—I definitely plan on sending leftovers home with my guests. I've got a lot of different containers I've been saving for this purpose. As it is, I've already had to argue with my husband, and rein him in. He wanted to add more food to the menu, on top of the dozen things already there. He thinks a 16 lb turkey isn't big enough for the seven people invited. In years past, I'd bought the biggest bird I could find. On my diet, I don't fee the need to make so much.

Machka—I'm thinking those of us on the other side of the globe will be savoring your spring and summer photos, while we go through fall and winter.

Happy birthday Kelly!! You're a year and seven days younger than I am. Now that you mention it, I'd like to see those movies too. I'll have to see if there's any interest in the family.

Penny—I love the art pieces! It sounds like you need some indoor spaces where you can walk. I don't know what I'd do if I had to walk through the cold and slush to get to choir.

Gratitude 19—touch: My dog will come and nudge me when he wants to go out. I love that. He's usually a touch-me-not kind of boy, but I can pet him and play with him when he wants something.

Gratitude 20—who am I grateful for: This is so tough! So many have touched my life, and I wouldn't be the same without them. My parents for sure. Grandparents too. It's a toss-up between my husband and kids. I love the kiddos, but he doesn't get enough credit from me. So I'll put him on the pedestal today. He's not the easiest man to love. I say God laughed when we got together, since in many ways we're opposites. But he's true-blue. He's solid, reliable, and unshakably loyal. He supports me in so many ways.

Cari in N. Texas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Kelly- Happy Belated Birthday..so my aunt that passed away was with her son in Grand Haven...maybe you could look for her obit for me..her name was Kay Scott.
    Michelle- I am hourly and Mary is a bully she texted me the day before and said she was taking a vacation day and that I could come in at 8 ,not 7:15,not 7:30 not 7:45..so I was not going to listen and go in for 7:30 but there she was parked in the parking lot with her car facing out watching to see if I showed up early which I did,so I kept on driving and came back around at 7:45 and she was still there..She IS NOT the office manager but likes to push me around .that was a little over the top and she will be spoken to..she I am sure will make an excuse as to why she was there ,she did print out her time card and put a note on it for OM..but to blazingly just sit and watch so that you can bully someone that time in the morning..she is cooking her own goose..
    I am working 9-6 today...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. My roses. :)
    Nov 2 - technology. Social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - colour. Blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought. What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)
    Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"
    Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.
    Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.
    Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.
    Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".
    Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.
    Nov 15 - Season. The season I am most grateful for is summer. I love summer. I'd love it if the year were divided so that there was 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, 2 months of autumn, and 8 months of real summer weather. We're coming into summer here and I appreciate each and every summer-like day.
    Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for?
    Sometimes I think ... "less and less" these days because I'm literally falling apart.
    But ... I'm grateful for my legs which are one of my main methods of transportation.
    Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- The tacit knowledge of cycling. Being able to ride a bicycle. It has taken me all over the world. It's how my husband and I met. It is stress relief. And it is part of my husband's healing process.
    https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care

Nov 18 - What piece of art are you grateful for?
    That's a difficult one. I've taken an Art History course, and enjoyed it very much. And I like going to galleries. But I haven't really felt a connection to any particular pieces.
    However, the one that is probably my favourite piece is:

Umberto Boccioni, Dynamism of a Cyclist, 1913
    a2kfga9qpewz.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamism_of_a_Cyclist

Nov 19 - What touch are you grateful for?
    My husband's hugs!! This was something I missed so much when he was in hospital!!

Nov 20 - Who in your life are you grateful for?

The obvious choice would be my husband, and I am grateful to have him in my life still. However, I have been very grateful for my parents who have been so supportive through the challenges this year.

Machka in Oz

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Too many people to choose from in the gratitude prompt #20, my mom, husband, daughter, mentors.

The pic is from DD, it is almost summer in South Africa, is that tree
    not gorgeous? Countdown to her return this Sunday. I’m prepping some favorite food for her return. Pumpkin pie, Mac and cheese and veggie stir fry with noodles will be top of the list
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Quick Hello to all

Getting ready to visit dad in hospital, nothing serious taken in as a precaution as he'd not been feeling too well over the weekend, and had a temperature, mum called the Doc yesterday and we spent most of the afternoon waiting for an ambulance to take him to hospital, it was 6:30 p.m. before he was settled in his hospital bed. Stayed with him for a few hours then went home to bed!

He's already called twice this morning asking where I am, he thought it was 8pm at night, I had to explain it was 8 O Clock in the morning and that we couldn't visit yet, he gets so confused and forgetful, he couldn't remember if he'd had his breakfast or not. He's having tests this morning in case he has an infection.

Best get on, take care everyone and hugs to those that need them. xxx

Viv in a very wet York UK