WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2018
    Allie - sorry for the fall! We've all been there... hope it has few lingering effects, dear heart.

Machka - sorry a bird pooped on your head, although I have to admit, that made me smile... And then I remembered that your hair is waist length or longer, and it sounded awful! Your day sounds completely exhausting!

Heather - I agree, your new digs sound wonderful. Glad you and the DH are getting settled.

JanetR - glad your family's OK, thanks for updating us on them.

NYKaren
    - your trip to DC reminded me of my only trip, many many years ago, when I took a photography crew to DC to gather photos of artifacts and images for a video history of the US Army. I got time to wander around the city, but it was in January, and bitter cold. The wind whistles down all those confusing streets, and I shivered a lot. It was my first, and so far last trip to the nation's capital, and worth every shiver!

To everyone who's new - welcome! We move fast, and we're a chatty bunch, just jump in and reply to those that pique your interest, and don't sweat it. No one gets offended if you don't, I promise. Please don't get offended if you've sent a friend request and not gotten an answer. Some of us are open to that and some aren't. I interact only on this thread, for instance, but others do accept requests.

Thanks for the compliments on what I'm very grandly calling "the studio." Trying to figure out how to use a third of the rest of the room for my office, and put together a painting area in the other third. About half of those containers on the top shelf are paints and brushes... and this house is in desperate need of a few paintings. I'm sick of the old standards that we've got everywhere, so I guess I'll have to paint my own. :smiley: Actually, I've already got a few of my own that I could hang, but need to construct the frames for them, as well as some other pieces I have from previous lives.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Allie “start the habit of going”
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    Barbi, thank you for that wonderful advice of starting the habit of going. I needed to hear those words. Starting a habit is all about doing it. Simple thought but so important. For me it’s logging my food that needs to become habit. I don’t know why I have trouble developing that habit.
    Betsy in NW Washington
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :);):/:o:p
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,086 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    mprocyszyn wrote: »
    Ladies.......can you count "sparkling water" towards your water intake. It's just carbanated water so I don't see why not???? Mary from Ontario, Canada

All beverages count

I would count sparkling water as water intake but not all beverages
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,086 Member
    Ketonekaren- yes feeling better, thx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,595 Member
    Cari - Happy Birthday and congrats on losing a kindergartener! What a neat way of looking at it. I still have plenty of recipes left in my binder and drawer which is now organized and I was able to unearth some of my old favorites. I have some on the computer which I want to print off. I'm still not convinced technology is 100% foolproof, lol. Computers crash, we lose power and/or internet from time to time.

When I was cleaning out a desk drawer a few days ago, I came across a handwritten letter from a dear friend who passed away several months ago. She'd write 10 page letters in longhand, had beautiful handwriting as did my mom. I saved Glenda's letter and will treasure it. Also ran across a letter from my mom in the recipe drawer which brought back a flood of good memories. That one is saved as well.

I can't imagine what will be lost in another generation where nearly all correspondence is emailed. Kind of makes me sad, handwriting tells so much about a person. "Maude Doe also known as MaudeDoe1978@aol.com passed away December first. Our computer crashed and the dog ate the memory stick so we have no photos of her. She was proud to be one of the longest patrons on Facebook. She'll be cremated and there will be no services per her request." In ten years, will anyone remember Maude existed, or care?

Karen in VA - I also love Memorial Day for the same reasons you did. Walking in the cemeteries, imagining the lives of our ancestors, having a picnic with cousins.

NY Karen - how neat you were able to do the DC weekend. In the mid 70's DH and I lived in Arlington when he was still in the USMC and worked at the Navy Annex. I could imagine your sightseeing but I'm sure it's a lot different than what I would remember! They were just putting in the subway when we left.

Lisa
    - I am in love with your sewing center. All of that room! So organized! It just keeps getting better and better. When will you know about that other job?

I might tackle some boxes in the spare room closet today. My left shoulder is giving me major grief and have doc appointment on Thursday. Dr. Google says rotator cuff. :s My favorite orthopedic doc retired so I am bummed.

Some of the boxes are on the top shelf so will have to not go overboard.

I agree with Barbie about doing a little bit! I've dropped way back on the dumb bells/upper body because of the shoulder thing but can still do my ankle weights. And got my walk in this morning, it was pretty brisk. But I did it.

OK ladies, time to get cracking.

Lanette
    Chilly (29 degrees) and sunny SW WA State
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,588 Member
    #11 Christmas Eve. The lights, the baking, the smell of a real Christmas tree, eggnog and fruit cake, the memories. Papa got double time-and-a-half for working Christmas Day so we always celebrated on Christmas Eve. After the pageant, Mama would drive past the park where we would watch the not quite reindeer graze. Precious peaceful moments.
    #12 Tumble's silky ear hair. Also the coarse outer, fluffy under coats. Petting Tumble is just one of the very best things!

Lisa, lovely craft cave, so bright, compact and organzed! If you're ever on the Southern Oregon coast... ;) Ah "studio" MUCH better name.
    Machka you are the Master of persistence. After receiving such a deposit, I wouldn't find listening to the birds very serene.
    Michele "... forgot to put the second stick of butter..." when I double recipes, the doubled ingredient I forget most often is the eggs. :P Thanks for the Lenora update. Avocado cookies? :noway:
    Sharon the terriers could eat the chipmunks, if the terriers weren't so persnickety. I'm just hoping our creek doesn't move away ;)
    Karen in VA wrote my #12 before reading about Casper. Reminds me of my Jasper who also had the best coat!
    Viv the SWSY is supposed to be hard. That's what makes the muscles stronger. We can do this! ((hugs)) on the sad anniversary.
    Allie getting up and going is the hardest part. Doing is what will build stamina to enable you to do more. Start where you are. Ditto Barbie and NYKaren's suggestions to start the habit. Could you link new habit it to something you already do daily? Perhaps after listening to Joyce Meyer, do a Leslie Sansome 5 minute walk on YouTube? If your leg hurts too much, could you do 5 minutes of chair exercises? You CAN do this!
    Miss Kelly "bird pooping on you" is good luck? Yuck! :noway:
    Beth "pumpkin roll" oh nooo!
    NYKaren 9 miles? Brava!
    Betsy when I start to fall off the logging-what-I-ate bandwagon, then it's time for me to start plan-logging instead of after-logging ;) Haven't logged it? Can't eat it 'til I do ;)
    Heather sorry your DH is upset. You're understanding of the factors contributing to his upset helps but its hard when they're cranky. Is there some cheap temporary fix you can make to the panic button? A decorative box or mask or something velcroed to the wall to cover it?
    Cari The very happiest of birthdays to you. Well done and keep on keepin' on!

Washing machine is making truly horrible noises so can only run when Joe is out of the house. Alas, he's a house mouse. This morning he went for a bike ride, and scooted back before the first load was done. ;{

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 11/11, 60 g protein 9/11, rx/vits 11/11, meditate 10/11, knee exercises 11/11, play with Tumble 6/11, core 3/8, SWSY UP 3/8, SWSY LOW 2/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 9/11.

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 394 Member
    I had a basset named Sam when I was a teen who had the softest, silkiest ears! And he didn't mind my running them through my hands for the better part of an hour when I was upset - which, being a teen, was fairly often! Talk about textures reminded me of him! He was probably the most interesting dog I ever had.

He was a lazy homebody, but could escape from our yard no matter how foolproof we made it. And he was super-fast, given those short lumpy legs under that long clompy body! However, if anyone in the neighborhood had glimpsed him, we knew to follow that trail in a straight line. He wasn't one to meander - he was a man on a mussiin, and if we followed that line, sooner or later we'd find him indulging in olfactory bliss, snuffling all around what he'd scented all the way back home.

What was really difficult was catching him if he hadn't arrived at his goal yet! His coat was slippery and he was as agile as a lumpy overweight snake. About all you could do was grab around his neck and bulldog him to the ground like the cowboys did a steer. My brother was champion at that. I was afraid of skinning my knees. Girls didn't wear jeans much after 13 or 14 in my neck of Columbus suburbia.

Once we decanted him into the car (a mile or so of dragging Sam wasn't good for any of our dispositions!), he'd smell the joint up with a horrific musk that hounds emit when they're all lathered up about something.

For all his quirks, I lived the old rascal to death. I've had several Bassets since, and they're wonderful funny individuals, but there was only one Sam, a teen's best friend and confidant.

Sharon near Seartle
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    Catching up on my days of gratitude:

#10: My grandmother's home made bread and butter pickles. I haven't tasted them in over 30 years, but I can still recall it immediately. Nothing I've had since has even compared to their taste.

#11: It might actually be thanksgiving. Christmas seems like it is always a disappointment because it was my favorite holiday when I was a child, and I have so many wonderful memories of it. Thanksgiving was not that big of a deal when I was a child, so my expectations are much lower. So it's a low pressure day and I can manage my expectations better.

#12: The skin of people I love -- my husband, my sons, my mother, and I'll include my dog and cat, as well, because they are people too in my family. <3

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Sharon we're also ~600 above sea level, fair tsunami protection. I've hear that when the Cascadia fault gives it will be an area wide depopulating event. The I-5 corridor will get all the resources and people here will be on their own for months if not years. Good reason to enjoy and be grateful for the "now". What is your PCP's objection to the cardiologist's clearance?

We're at 180 feet above sea level, but in the valley and far enough from the river, that we should be "okay," meaning still standing and not flooded. The recent instructions we've been given in the case of the Cascadia quake is to "camp at home." Have you all heard that, too? That's what we are prepared for -- we have a solar panel on the RV, a generator, and not enough food and water, but we are getting there. :-)

My biggest worry about it, and mind you, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the big one, is that it will happen while I'm at work. First, because my building will not survive, so while the official advice is to shelter under my desk, I don't think so. I am about 20 feet from an exterior door, so I will make a dash for the outside -- from there, I'm not sure where to go. We are also on a heavily wooded hill, which I assume will slide, so I will probably try to run down the hill, about a quarter mile, to the road. Second, if it happens while I'm at work, then no one will be home -- everyone will either be at school or at their own work, and in my husband's case, he could be anywhere (Ontario last week, Dallas, this week). If I survive the initial quake, I need to try to get the 8-10 miles back to my house. My oldest works about 30 miles away, on the other side of the river, so it's probably a lost cause for him to try to get home. The two younger boys could walk from their schools, even though for my 12 year old, it's about two miles. :-( Third, our house is only two years old and built to code, so I really want us all to be home when it hits. We should be able to safely ride it out and then hold out for as long as possible. We are on the I-5 corridor (about two miles from I-5), so supplies, when they begin to run again, should get to us quickly, in comparison to more rural areas. Add to that the fact that we are in/near the state capital, and I feel pretty confident about our chance for survival -- as long as we are all home!

Okay, so it looks like I have thought this all through a lot more than I led on. :lol:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    #11...Valentine's Day

#12...Silk

Cari: Happy Birthday! Have fun at your lunch!

Carol in GA