WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,086 Member
    Pppp
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,615 Member
    edited November 2018
    Felicia - :o<3 That sounds just like the kind of conversation I have with myself in the middle of the night. Woke up at 4.33 this morning.

The window man turned up on time and declared the window f*****. He was able to drill the lock out and remove the glass, put it back and get the window closed. DH did ask the price of a replacement. :o Currently we have an illegal, totally sealed shut bedroom window. Can get out of the exercise room window next door.
    Things need doing, but I need to win the lottery. That bedroom is a joke. The blind only pulls up one side and there are no blinds at all on the stained glass side windows. OK this time of year, but I want it done by the early spring. It was occupied by a teenager so it's in a state. Including the sockets I'm having mended tomorrow.
    It's also got a panic button :o and a motion sensor for the alarm in the corner. Bit weird when you get up in the night!!!!!
    We are not handy and DH is worried about money. Oh well.
    Good news is that my elder son rang me and has arranged to come and see me in December. :D:D<3<3<3<3<3 Amazing.
    Lots of love, Heather UK XXXXXX
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Happy Birthday Cari!

Okie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,206 Member
    Good morning Cari!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    popping back on. lol I don't know who told me that a bird pooping on you is good luck. It was years ago that I was first told this. Maybe you should feel lucky that you are alive and moving to be pooped on?!
    Lanette- I often think about the loss of human connection in the generations coming up. I do believe that the more people are on screens (computers, tv, phones, etc) and the less they interact in real life that they lose the ability to be empathetic/compassionate to others (this is my theory on why so many young men of a certain age seem to be acting out violently). BUT...I also know that I dearly miss those that I have only known online (this site being the only one that I have become close to strangers) when they pass. Gloria <3 . And I would miss any of the rest of our group.
    Heather UK- hmmmm...is a panic button like a fire alarm or life alert button? When you need help from emergency personnel you press the button? You are right to want to get rid of it/hide it. Kids love buttons! If it is screwed on, you might be able to unscrew the front and disconnect one wire. That should be all you would need to do to interrupt the circuit so that it doesn't sound. (Obviously shut down the power on that wall, first)
    Felicia- Great senior pic! Handsome young man! Like you, skin is a favorite texture of mine.
    Janet- Wonderful pics of your family!

#11 Holiday I am grateful for: For me it is the season. I love the season of Thanksgiving/Christmas. The family, the smells, the food, the memories, the feeling...It is not so much the DAY itself, but everything that leads up to it. For me, the day is only disappointing because it marks the end of "the feeling".
    #12 Texture I am grateful for: Like Felicia, my favorite texture is skin. But not just any skin; there is a little divot on the base of babies heads, where their head meets their necks and the skin there is so soft, and when you hold them and rock them to sleep, your hand strokes their little heads and finds that little divot...just lovely.

I have eaten well today (not strayed from my meal plan) and I got my walk in. I am quite proud of those things because I am soooooo tired! Going to get busy now, the kids will be waking from nap and it is baby James' birthday (1 year old) and we are having birthday brownies. Well, the kids are. I will have coffee. I have Trentin tonight until 11:30. Four more days!
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    yesterdays stat for the day:

stairclimber- 30min, 161floors, 2629steps, lvl 8-12, fat burn program, 131ahr, 150ahr = 306c
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Texture I am grateful: all crunchy food textures, like almonds, or the snap of a juicy crispy apple! Why I love to eat!!!
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:

rowing machine-30min, 118ahr, 139mhr, 71aw, 5307meters= 304c
    helix machine- 32min, 60arpm, random hill program, lvl 7, 153mhr, 3.86mi= 304c
    other- quick jumping- 10min, 137ahr, 160mhr, = 106c

total cal 633
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Raining cats and dogs all over Georgia and supposed to do so through Thursday! :):'(

Carol
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,214 Member
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: We have a small shredder in our office for docouments that we want to destroy. It also shreds envelopes from bills, etc. It is worth the peace of mind knowing that nothing identifiable will fall in the hands of strangers. We put the shreds into our trash can and the garbage company hauls it away weekly. The trash and recycle cans sit out at the street every week on pick up day, and anyone could go through them. The rest of the time they are in our garage. I doubt anyone has, but they could. I’m a privacy freak. :ohwell: I’m glad you found your post box. :smiley:

Lanette: I have recipes in a 3x5 card box and also in a 3 ring binder. We’ve had a massive change in cooking habits since DH was put on the fodmap diet, but I’m keeping my recipes. Many of them are easy enough to adapt. The challenge is getting rid of wheat flour, garlic solids and globe onions, and that is easy enough. Making garlic infused oils takes time and effort but is worth it. I prefer green onions anyway. I suppose we could make onion infused oil, but I’m not willing to do it at this point. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Kirby is lucky to have you. You are a good partner. If you are racing, speed matters, but otherwise running together is wonderful and enjoyable. :heart:

Rori: Your Mexican get away sounds wonderful. WTG!!!

Sharon near Seattle: My kids are far away and I seldom get to see them. We are planning a road trip next spring to visit our DD’s new farm in IL, and also our son and DDIL in VA. We hope to see places like Mt. Rushmore along the way. I hope we can make the trip a reality. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I like the photo. Your shelving looks residential and I like it. We have metal shelves in the garage, and they are definitely industrial. I don’t care whether our garage is “homey.” :star:

Allie: I love the photo of you and your friends. :smiley:

Keytone Karen: Today is 11/12, and I am grateful for the texture of the hand knitted pot scrubbers I buy from a local crafter. They are scratchy enough to get off dried egg yolk easily, but never make scratch marks on dishes or cookware. :star:

Dana in AR: I share your love of cinnamon. :smiley:

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: We live beside the Columbia River. Our elevation is 23 feet above sea level. If the tsunami ever comes here, our house will wash away. We will have plenty of notice to get to higher ground. The RV is our back up plan at the moment.

Yoga today was mahveous, and I'm currently woking on knitting a baby blanket for my grandniece's baby. I have a few months to get it done, but I'm happy that Ive already started and expect to keep at it until it is done—ahead of time.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    💞💞💞💞
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    :'(:/ Today the contractor discovered that the black mold had spread into the other wall of the water heater closet so more work is being done. Right now the water heater is sitting in the back yard while the walls and floor of the closet are being replaced. We have no water and are enormously grateful for our practice of keeping about 40 gallon bottles of water in the garage in case of emergency. The water heater will be functional by bedtime.

:)Sarah, the possibility of tsunamis is always in the minds of people who live near the Pacific coast, if for no other reason than that there are many signs pointing in the direction to drive in case of a tsunami. I don't think there's any great threat right now.

:) I've started reading "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" and enjoying it immensely. I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering learning more about getting rid of stuff or making their house look less cluttered.

<3 Barbie from beautiful, chilly, sunny NW Washington
  • pipcd34
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    edited November 2018
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - my roses. :)
    Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)

Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought.
    What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)

Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.

As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.

Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"

Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for?

Christmas!!! :)

I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.

Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.

Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.

Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    So ... I was just looking at my leave situation here at work, what with Christmas coming up, and suddenly realised that I haven't had a real holiday/vacation in about 17 months.

No wonder I'm feeling like it's time!!

I don't know when I'll be able to do that, but I am hoping for a bit of rest over Christmas.

M in Oz
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 394 Member
    Katla, being along the Columbia is a nice place to be. I think that might be a decent trade-off for a little ol’ tsunami here and there! Or not. I think I’ll take my 630’ high Island universe. As long as my house doesn’t fall down I’m in great shape. Acres and acres of wood nearby, neighbors with fireplaces and wood stoves, and I have a generator. Gas COULD become a problem.

Sarah, what area do you live in? Climate sounds nice. I love the 60-70° temperature range.

Machka, you’re long overdue in my opinion. I know how to do it with hubby is a problem. Do you have farmstead vacations there, or ranch stays? Somewhere you don’t have to cook, but the stress of eating out every meal is gone sounds like a possibility perhaps.

I’m still in limbo about my surgery date since today is our Veterans’ Day holiday Monday. I’m feeling fretful, but have to let that go. Annoyance can be triggering for me.

Sharon Near Seattle