WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    Back in school again!
    For the next 5-6 weeks.

Just 1 day or part of 1 day each week ... so I work the rest of the time.

This is course 2 of 8 in the last leg of the journey toward my Master's Degree.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,004 Member
    Ok so all went well lovely time today with the cousins ,stopped at grocery store and bought a few things ,but when I got home I tripped on my pants leg and proceeded to fall on carpeted cement floor on my left leg...I hobbled and got some ice and am lying down with ice on it,swelled up pretty good and Alfie of course is hopping all over me on the bed right on my leg oh ouch...oh well took some Tylenol and here is hoping I didn't do major damage as I can't afford that..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,477 Member
    edited November 2018
    Rode the recumbant bike today. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of 10MS Butt Lift DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Lanette – I usually get the smaller avocados when they are on sale at Aldi. Then I might buy like 6. Usually I have to leave them on the counter to ripen, tho

Wolfie – hi there! Sounds like you and Beth will have a lot in common.

It’s too cold to work outside. Heaven help me! It’s that season, cookie baking time. And Lynette asked me to make her something for her “open house”. I need to ask her if she’s still planning to have one. I made chocolate chip cookies today. I made a double batch, but I know that Vince will have them. I’m also thinking I’ll make the shortbreads. I put them in the freezer.

Every year I’ve given the library where Newcomers has their board meeting something just to say “thank you” Well, by us having our Christmas early, I can give the library any leftover cookies that I have, so they’ll be out of the house.

Katla – thank you for your concern. You must have just missed my posts, that’s all. Yes, I’ve been in touch with Lenora. She’s just taking a “social-media break”. But she does PM me and I just give her some of the highlights like the fact that M’s husband is doing so well, Heather moved, etc. etc.

Oh, no, it looks like I forgot to put the second stick of butter in the second batch of chocolate chip cookies. Well, it looks like they taste good. Update: well, it looks like the cookies are crispier and flatter.

Mary from Ontario – have you ever had avocado cookies? Get better fast

Lanette – like you, I had a ton of cookbooks. There were usually only a few recipes that I would be interested in. So what I did was typed those recipes into the computer, put it in the appropriate file, and then donated the book.

Rori – sounds like you had a great trip. I’m so happy for you, you deserve it. Your post warmed my heart

Allie – ouch!!! Alfi will help you feel better, I’m sure

Lisa in AR – I have my grandmother’s treadle sewing machine. It’s heavy, but what great memories it holds.

Michele in NC
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Lanette—Don't throw out all those recipes! Set the best ones aside, and make a computer file for them. I've got a few hundred I've kept in a file, and it's easy to find what I need by using a key word to look them up. So if I want to make my cran-apple casserole for Thanksgiving, I type 'cranberry' in my find box, and there it is! I once imagined organizing them and publishing a family cook-book, but there wasn't much interest from the family. (I asked everyone to send me their favorites.)

Rori—Your vacation sounds lovely! My DH isn't much on travel, and if he sat anywhere on vacation, he'd have at least three internet-capable devices to keep his attention. I may need to find a couple girlfriends if I ever want to leave home for a vacation away from technology.

Lisa in AR—I love your sewing nook! As soon as I learn to take and share pictures, I'll have to show you mine. I learned a while ago that I can't face a wall and sew. My area gives me a view out my window, and I can see life through my doorway. It means I have to rely on extension cords, but it's worth it.

For the gratitude calendar, the holiday I'm grateful for is Thanksgiving. It's a great, low-key holiday that tends to get lost in the middle between Halloween and Christmas. I love the food, having family together, and being reminded of all we have to be grateful for. I like Christmas—which is most people's favorite—but it's a mixed bag for me. Growing up poor, Christmas was often disappointing. I'm the oldest of five kids, so I tended to be slighted, in favor of giving the little kids a good Christmas. I was supposed to understand. I did, but it left me with a bit of....longing for that “perfect” Christmas, that can never be met. As an adult, I do what I can to rein in the expectations, keep it simpler, and make it meaningful.

Today we went out for lunch after church. Who goes to a pancake house and orders fish? I should have known better. The meal was probably the worst I've had since starting my diet, then I came home to log the food, and found out the calories on the menu were misrepresented. We probably won't be going back, since each of us had a bad meal. I'm not hungry, so I may skip dinner.

Cari in N. Texas
  • mprocyszyn
    mprocyszyn Posts: 56 Member
    Ladies.......can you count "sparkling water" towards your water intake. It's just carbanated water so I don't see why not???? Mary from Ontario, Canada
  • Machka9
    mprocyszyn wrote: »
    Ladies.......can you count "sparkling water" towards your water intake. It's just carbanated water so I don't see why not???? Mary from Ontario, Canada

All beverages count
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - my roses. :)
    Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.

Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)

Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought.
    What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)

Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.

As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.

Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"

Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for?

Christmas!!! :)

I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.

Machka in Oz

Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,588 Member
    Welcome Wolfie NY, Mary from Ontario.
    pip you and Barbie and Lanette and Katla and Rori are modeling the kind of wife I'd like to be to Joe.
    Sharon we're also ~600 above sea level, fair tsunami protection. I've hear that when the Cascadia fault gives it will be an area wide depopulating event. The I-5 corridor will get all the resources and people here will be on their own for months if not years. Good reason to enjoy and be grateful for the "now". What is your PCP's objection to the cardiologist's clearance?
    Michele thanks for the Lenora update. Avocado cookies???

Too sleepy to chat, maybe tomorrow.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 11/11, 60 g protein 9/11, rx/vits 11/11, meditate 10/11, knee exercises 11/11, play with Tumble 6/11, core 3/8, SWSY UP 3/8, SWSY LOW 2/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 9/11.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 394 Member
    Barbara AHMOD, It apparently isn't the form he gets from other doctors, but given my cardiology team is a part of the hospital I'll be having the surgery at, I'm not sure what his problem is. Let's hope a few bunnies, birds and vegetable matter are left here on our Island universes after the quake! Oh! And Microsoft for the cats, but not TOO many! And whatever your dog can eat.

Sharon AHMOC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    edited November 2018
    I had a kitty named Casper once. He was a pure white domestic shorthair. He had the thickest, softest, most luxurious fur I ever felt. #12 Favorite Texture

Never Forget

Karen in Virginia remembering victims & veterans of wars
    1890 painting by Robert Vonnoh
    Poppies in Flanders Fields
    Painted a quarter of a century before WWI
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,004 Member
    morning ladies~
    I slept well even with my boo boo lol, woke up and got up at 4.. havent gotten the stamina to get to the gym yet, watched Joyce Meyer and had my tea..
    working 10-5 today
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! The weekend went well with Trentin. I am on my final week of work before I am off for a week for Thanksgiving! SO looking forward to that time off! :)
    Allie Hope your leg feels better after having iced it and staying off it for a while!
    Machka- Grilling and picnicking on a patio sounds like a great way to spend an evening! You know, some people think that a bird pooping on you is good luck! lol oh well, everything is washable!
    Viv Sending you lots of love as you remember your husband. <3
    Dana- Love your gloves! Love the pics of Dolly, too! She seems a good girl when it comes to photo time! She poses nicely!
    Jan-Love the photo of you on Annie! She is a beautiful horse!
    Lisa- Yea on the sewing room! Now to just find time to be in there, right?!
    Rori- The way our (Tim and my) vacations have changed as we have gotten older is something I am still grappling with. But I really think relaxing is the most important part of any vacation (whether you go away or have a staycation). Glad you and your DH had time to just relax! B)
    Heather UK- I got a giggle over how many times you must have walked past the mail box across the street! THIS is something I would do. With each description, your little town just sounds more wonderful! Glad to hear that you and your DH are settling in. Looks like our kitchen colors are similar. Mine is white and slate grey/blue. Your hallway will be empty of moving clutter in no time, I am sure!
    Heather Chi- Hello! You are a midwesterner like me! I am in Grand Haven, MI. Just up the coast from you! I will be turning 52 in a week and found this group almost three years ago. I am 5'8" and at my heaviest I was 248. I have yo-yo'd with those 48 pounds for the past six years. Right now I am working my way down again (very slowly) and am at 225. I am a childcare provider (25 years), married (29 years) and my hubby is out of work and suffering from early onset RA. Love hearing from you! Are you ready for winter? lol I always am amazed at the amount of snow you get in Chicago each year!
    Welcome Wolfie, and Mary from Ont.
    Lanette- That's right! You lived in the midwest! I have never tried a Chanterelle. I know they grow around here in some places, but I don't think I have ever seen them.
    NY Karen- Your trip to DC sounds wonderful! I like to walk and I like walking tours. I have never been to DC. I would like to go, but it will have to wait for a few years (two at least).
    Janet- So glad your family is safe from the fires!
    Kim- Hoping that you managed to stay safe from the fire and smoke! Please stop in and say Hi when you have a minute!

Well, my first kiddo has arrived and is ready for breakfast so I better scoot! Thinking of all of you and sending love ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)