40 year old women and older who has lost 40 or more lbs - HOW THE HECK DID YOU DO IT???

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Was down 3 lbs last week and another 1.5 this week. Would have had a better scale week, if I didn't down all the crab legs and shrimp that was doused in butter this week for my cheat meal. LOL
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Nice work being nearly 5 pounds down! Those crab legs and shrimp sound amazing, to be fair ...
  • LRLemon
    LRLemon Posts: 51 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm 65 and have lost 55 pounds since June 26, 2018 following a LOW CARB (15-30 gm/day) diet. I graph my weight day to day. Interesting thing is that I followed a CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT diet in 2014 (BTW: I gained the weight back over 4 years) and comparing my weight loss from that diet with the weight loss from this LoCarb diet I weigh 13 pounds LESS than I did at the same week of the CICO diet.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED: Lo Carb is the way to go for life. No hunger pangs (fat and protein is very satisfying). Craving for sugar is totally gone (and this from a person who LOVED bread and sweets). Don't feel deprived (fat, protein, veggies very satisfying). Food tastes better (notice the natural sweetness much more). Weight comes off faster. Blood glucose level is now normal: came down from 5.8 to 5.3 in three months (for reference ≤5.6 is considered normal; 5.8 is in the pre-diabetic range).
  • palmuphandopen
    palmuphandopen Posts: 30 Member
    I am 41 and have lost 70 lbs this year... how? tracking my food every day and going to the gym 6 days a week. 3 days are weight training (lifting heavy weights) and 2 days are cardio - either running or some type of cross-fit workout.
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    Thank you for everyone who has shared on this post. Very inspiring!
  • zvk915
    zvk915 Posts: 1 Member
    this is quite remarkable! you look so healthy now. I am the same age so your accomplishment is very inspiring.
  • STLBADGIRL
    I am 41 and have lost 70 lbs this year... how? tracking my food every day and going to the gym 6 days a week. 3 days are weight training (lifting heavy weights) and 2 days are cardio - either running or some type of cross-fit workout.

I know I need to get to the gym more often AND log daily. I'm going 4 days a week. But i have a 5 y.o. and I'm in school. Sometimes when I get to the gym I'm only able to do 30 mins and that's including lifting and cardio. I need to balance my schedule so I can have quality gym time.
  • STLBADGIRL
    I’m 54. I’ve lost 44lb since 27th May this year.

My food plan is 1500 to 1700 cals a day with a minimum of 100g protein and no more than 125g carbs. I plan all my meals but I rarely food prep, preferring to make time in the kitchen something to enjoy.

I do 2 weight sessions and 3 aerobic training sessions each week

clo106sc9qxk.jpeg

Wow, WOW, WOW! This is great inspiration!!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    @making_tracks You look like you lost more than 44lbs. You look awesome and kudos to you!!!

Thanks for sharing your progress. You are such inspiration!
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I know I need to get to the gym more often AND log daily. I'm going 4 days a week. But i have a 5 y.o. and I'm in school. Sometimes when I get to the gym I'm only able to do 30 mins and that's including lifting and cardio. I need to balance my schedule so I can have quality gym time.

But you don't need to go to the gym. Maybe you are pressuring yourself with too many shoulds. If you keep your calorie intake at the level suggested for weight loss for you, you will lose weight without exercise. Just go tothe gym when you have time and can get there (or do stuff at home, or go for a walk or whatever is fun for you). Giving yourself the extra mental load of guilt over not going to the gym probably isn't helping you right now. Exercise is obviously great for you health and will change your body but it is not essential for weight loss.
  • STLBADGIRL
    jmf286 wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

But you don't need to go to the gym. Maybe you are pressuring yourself with too many shoulds. If you keep your calorie intake at the level suggested for weight loss for you, you will lose weight without exercise. Just go tothe gym when you have time and can get there (or do stuff at home, or go for a walk or whatever is fun for you). Giving yourself the extra mental load of guilt over not going to the gym probably isn't helping you right now. Exercise is obviously great for you health and will change your body but it is not essential for weight loss.

@jmf286 - you are correct. The mental load is heavy. Thanks for the reminder!!!
  • STLBADGIRL
    malika1976 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 42. I've lost 44.3 kg (98.7 lbs) this year. I just stick to the calorie count, and walk/run as I feel like it (which I do most days). I started morbidly obese and now I'm 4 kg from a healthy BMI. My age isn't really a factor I worry about. I can run a lot further now than I could as a teenager. I've lost another 5 kg since the bottom photo.

8j4ac5elz62w.jpg

a5qz2bdujrdc.jpg

@malika1976 - YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your weight loss shedded years off of you! Great job!!!!

• rmcswain9372
    rmcswain9372 Posts: 6 Member
    I’m 46, and started this journey Dec 2016. Im down 37 lbs as of today. I’ve fluctuated about 5-10 lbs here and there. When my diet is 80% on (I do mostly low carb, moderate protein and fat) and I’m consistently in the gym (5 days/week), I stay on track. Diet is most definitely the most important part of it. You cannot out exercise a bad diet, any day of the week. And being in the gym, and seeing how long it takes to burn off 100 calories definitely keeps me motivated and on track. I want to lose between 10-15 more lbs to be at my ideal. Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!