What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,363 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's the all day grazers I was referring to, primarily. People who have a half eaten bag of Doritos, a handful of gummi bears, and a half eaten bowl of chicken noddle soup on their desk at all times. The people who spend thirty minutes painstakingly preparing their instant oatmeal and then bring it to their 9:30 am meeting. That sort of thing. ugh!

If someone is paying such close attention to me at my office that they know how often and what I eat during the day not to mention how long it took me to prepare my oatmeal, I think they need to work a little harder and worry less about me. We have a huge cafeteria but I never eat there. I prefer to use my breaks and lunches to get stuff done.

One thing about work food - I don't think anyone should reheat fish in the microwave or deliberately burn popcorn (yes, I used to work with someone who did that). It smells up the office.

I had a former boss who had a strict "no microwaving popcorn" policy. There was a sign on the machine and I believe she mentioned it my first day.

Our whole building had a total ban on microwaving popcorn for several years when we had a president (4th floor) who was violently allergic to popcorn.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    It's the all day grazers I was referring to, primarily. People who have a half eaten bag of Doritos, a handful of gummi bears, and a half eaten bowl of chicken noddle soup on their desk at all times. The people who spend thirty minutes painstakingly preparing their instant oatmeal and then bring it to their 9:30 am meeting. That sort of thing. ugh!

If someone is paying such close attention to me at my office that they know how often and what I eat during the day not to mention how long it took me to prepare my oatmeal, I think they need to work a little harder and worry less about me. We have a huge cafeteria but I never eat there. I prefer to use my breaks and lunches to get stuff done.

One thing about work food - I don't think anyone should reheat fish in the microwave or deliberately burn popcorn (yes, I used to work with someone who did that). It smells up the office.

I had a former boss who had a strict "no microwaving popcorn" policy. There was a sign on the machine and I believe she mentioned it my first day.

I have someone in my office who dislikes the smell of popcorn. Since she's a C-level exec, she gets away with telling her team they can't eat fresh popcorn at their desks. I don't mind it, but I do think popcorn (not just burnt popcorn) is very aromatic and the smell tends to fill a large space and linger. Same for reheated seafood (which, personally, I think smells disgusting) and some veggies like broccoli or Brussels sprouts.

And microwaved eggs. A coworker makes a microwave omelette every morning, and the whole office suite smells like farts.

Interesting... I microwave eggs at work (usually with some form of meat and cheese involved as well as spices), but the smell is always minimal. Maybe it depends on the quantity of egg being microwaved? We have those Jimmy Dean Scrambles in our office canteen for sale, so eggs get microwaved pretty often here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,363 Member
    Options

Our whole building had a total ban on microwaving popcorn for several years when we had a president (4th floor) who was violently allergic to popcorn.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,947 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love bananas and eat them daily but banana flavoring is awful. Cherry too.

I don't like ANY artificial flavoring. I once worked in a kitchen with a new cook who was trying to save money and got artificial almond extract. GAG.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

No popcorn allowed at my office, same at a couple of previous jobs. It permeates the whole place even if it doesn't burn. I am okay with it, but lots of people aren't, and sometimes it does get burned.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I like the bananas everyone else considers "bad" and overripe. Lots of brown, as much brown as yellow on the peel, and I don't mind even some brown spots on the fruit. If it's very brown and almost gooey inside, I'll still put it in a smoothie or baked goods, though. If there's even a slight hint of greenish color left on the peel I will not touch that banana.

ME TOO! I only eat them when they are super brown. I hate green or yellow bananas. When they are brown they are so delicious and sweet!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Me too! I love bananas and eat them daily but banana flavoring is awful. Cherry too.

Oh, I love fresh or frozen cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes like cough syrup! I ordered a drink once that involved some cherry-flavored liqueur and gagged on the first sip.

There are a few places where cherry flavoring is okay - I like Dr Pepper for example, but the cherry syrup for ice cream and whatever is bad.

I agree. I hate cherry flavoring as well as banana. The only cherry flavoring I like is in cherry sodas and cherry jolly ranchers. I LOVE real cherry flavor though and real banana flavor.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Where I work this is actually a hospital wide policy, and we are an 800+ bed facility. It is also strictly enforced. It was mentioned in orientation.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I love cold pizza, cold fried chicken and cold fried rice. If those left overs are in the fridge, it's a good bet that I'll eat a serving for breakfast.

No matter how it's dressed up, plain Greek yogurt is disgusting. It's way too tart and tastes like bad quality sour cream.

Good quality sour cream is delicious, and I can eat it by the spoonful.

Most butter is overrated. I stopped using it for anything unless absolutely necessary to the recipe - until I discovered Kerrygold. That stuff is so yummy that I just want to slather it all over warm bread every day (I don't, of course).

Lettuce/Greens-based salads are overrated even when chocked full of protein and fat.

Breakfast cereal is yummy but only as a snack, because it just doesn't have good enough macros to be a meal.

Milk-based espresso drinks (lattes, cappuccinos, etc.) aren't worth the calories, even if skim/alternative milk is used.

Ice cream is the best dessert. Ice cream>Cookies>Cake>Pie

Bread is life... especially freshly baked bread that's crusty on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.

Steak should not be eaten with any kind of sauce. (don't think that one will be unpopular though)

Frank's RedHot is the best hot sauce.

Diet Dr. Pepper is the best soda. Black Cherry Fresca comes in second.

Some of those may not be all that unpopular... it's hard to say. Some of the stuff I like and thought was fairly normal has proven to be a bit of an oddity in the past (liking to drink milk while eating potato chips comes to mind).

The only way I have found to tolerate Greek yogurt is adding a serving or two of Sugar Free Jello Cheesecake (it basically turns it into a faux frosting).

With you also on the cereal (like it dry mostly as a snack or on top of ice cream), definitely don't mind cold pizza if no microwave is available, & ice cream is my favorite dessert.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

A guy that used to work with me once put a cup of Ramen in the microwave & forgot to add the water. It smelled up the whole store.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese.
    I also hate raw onions, but don’t mind if they’re cooked.

I was always grossed out when my childhood babysitter would make sandwiches with nothing but raw onions & some kind of mayonnaise/miracle whip. Disgusting.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

A guy that used to work with me once put a cup of Ramen in the microwave & forgot to add the water. It smelled up the whole store.

My son did something similar with malt o meal, but he was 3 at the time :lol: He just wanted a bowl of hot cereal, poor baby!

My microwave was never the same.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

I never really liked artificial grape products. I can semi-tolerate the grape flavored water enhancers, but definitely not a flavor I would pick out often.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Oh, I love fresh or frozen cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes like cough syrup! I ordered a drink once that involved some cherry-flavored liqueur and gagged on the first sip.

Yuck like this! Just awful. Reminded me of drinking cough syrup/mixed with downing nothing but artificial sweetener.

15441705.jpg
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It's something about the texture of quinoa or grits that makes me sick.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had grits. I feel like it’s an American/southern thing, but I can imagine I wouldn’t like it. Lol.

I do like quinoa but not warm - it has to be a cold salad for me to eat it.

Also, I just realized how much I don’t care for other fish besides tuna or salmon. Everything else is blah.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I like grits, but like a lot of regional comfort foods, there is a lot of nostalgia tied up in them and I am not sure I would choose to eat them if I hadn't tried them until I was an adult. Actually, I am pretty sure I wouldn't.

Speaking of nostalgia, I have another item for the thread - shrimp boiling. When I was young, we would visit some of my favorite older relatives in the FL panhandle and whenever there was a big family gathering (and it was whenever we were there) they would do a shrimp boil. Boiling shrimp makes some people want to retch; some people will tolerate it at best because they enjoy boiled shrimp. Very few people enjoy the odor of a shrimp boil. It stirs up a lot of emotions for me and makes me smile. Shrimp boiled with Old Bay is one of my absolute favorite foods.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I like grits. I never had them until I was an adult and a friend from NC made me cheesy grits. That's a great way to introduce them (well, to me at least), but also I like polenta, so why not grits? Anyway, I rarely have them, but I sometimes order shrimp and grits if we go to a southern-influenced restaurant that has them prepared in a way that seems interesting (soul or southern fusion seems to be a thing that you find here sometimes).
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Pepsi Max is the best of all diet sodas. Also- greek yogurt tastes exactly like spoiled milk (gosh that ones really been weighing on me).

I'm right there with you on the Pepsi Max. No other diet pop even comes close (although I do like Diet Dr. Pepper). Here's mine. Pumpkin anything tastes like *kitten*, coffee, wine & beer are disgusting. I love Fireball.

For those of you who don't like kit-kats or reeses cups, have you tried the dark chocolate versions? That's the best versions of those candies.
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ranch is disgusting
    Mayo is even worse
    Eggnog is the grossest thing ever
    Bacon on doughnuts .... this ain't it chief (that means it's also gross)
    Nacho cheese is a no for me
    Avocados are nasty by themselves but decent (edible) on bread
    Poached eggs are inedibly disgusting