December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Where abouts in UK are you going to be?

Hubby will be doing some work near Lincoln, so I’ll be staying there with him. I’ll get a day of sightseeing in London as well, and I hope to head over to Nottingham too.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Good work, @Beka3695! A win is a win.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Seems when I set a numeric goal, more often than not, I end up missing it, so I'm going to do what I did last month: run! Ok, I want to stick to my training plan as much as I can, and cross both line on the 15K in 2 weeks. But I just plan on keeping up this pattern. Seems to have been working for me so far!

Girl, I am so watching you and the 15k... I know they are in different cities but I can’t wait to see your take.

I really want to see my jacket 🤣🤣
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Girl, I am so watching you and the 15k... I know they are in different cities but I can’t wait to see your take.

Whoa no pressure for me! lol

The jacket looks really nice on-line, can't wait to see it in person. Down side is I waited too long to register, and the packet mail out is closed. I have to go to the expo the day prior to pick it up. Not too bad, except Tampa is about a 45 - 60 min drive each way from my house! Frustrating. (Oh well, I'll bring my broken belt with me, hopefully the dealer is there & can do something?)
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »

Whoa no pressure for me! lol

The jacket looks really nice on-line, can't wait to see it in person. Down side is I waited too long to register, and the packet mail out is closed. I have to go to the expo the day prior to pick it up. Not too bad, except Tampa is about a 45 - 60 min drive each way from my house! Frustrating. (Oh well, I'll bring my broken belt with me, hopefully the dealer is there & can do something?)

No pressure!!! I’m a member of the Sloth Running Team... we get there when we get there!!!! I’m just curious about the race. Like do they literally DQ folks for being too slow. I think I have about a 1:30 min buffer per mile but still - cramp, acorn or rock in the roadway, i trip over my own feet, forced to poo mid run (luckily this has not happened yet) but, stuff happens to slow your run.

I’m signing off for the next few hours.
    SEC championship- Alabama vs Georgia
    ROLL TIDE!!!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    WALKING BREAKS

This came up a bunch in the November thread, and I just stumbled across this on Hal Higdon's website. (This applies to distance running - obviously a walking break in a 1 mile race is far more impactful than in a marathon)
    Hal Hgdon wrote:
    Walking Breaks: Walking is a perfectly acceptable strategy even for ultramarathon runners, and it works during training runs too. While some coaches recommend walking 1 minute out of every 10, or walking 1 minute every mile, I teach runners to walk when they come to an aid station. This serves a double function: 1) you can drink more easily while walking as opposed to running, and 2) since many other runners slow or walk through aid stations, you’ll be less likely to block those behind. It’s a good idea to follow this strategy in training as well. (You may want to use a water belt if you don’t have easy access to water on your training course.) You will lose less time walking than you think. I once ran a 2:29 marathon as a master, winning a world title, walking through every aid station. My son Kevin ran 2:18 and qualified for the Olympic Trials employing a similar strategy. And Bill Rodgers took four brief breaks (tying a shoe on one of them) while running 2:09 and winning the 1975 Boston Marathon. Walking gives your body a chance to rest, and you’ll be able to continue running more comfortably. It’s best to walk when you want to, not when your (fatigued) body forces you too.

I personaly fully agree with this advice. Obviously you want to get to the point where you can run your full race with out stopping, but that does not mean walking breaks is forbidden. Just be sensible about them.

I do this whenever I'm racing (and on training runs when I'm hydrating as well). It's a very sound strategy. Plus I wind up either choking or with nuun up my nose if I try to run and drink at the same time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    This morning's run was more about goals, I think than actual performance, cause, lets face it, I preformed horribly!

1: Finally accomplished a long time goal by running around Benderson Park lake. I did it today, twice. Man that lake is smaller when you are driving by it than running around it!

2: Farthest distance I have gone to date.

3: Going beyond my January goal of 200 miles for the year. (only needed 5.37 miles, got them plus!)

4: For the past 2 years, I have had a copied out post from a singer (Sully Erna from Godsmack) when he ran 7.02 miles and a quote: "Never let the body run the mind. The body will always be tired and give up. Always let the mind run the body!" on my fridge. Almost daily I have touched it & said "One day. One day I'll run 7.02 miles as well". Today was that day. (definitely a LOT slower than he ran it!)

However, I just could NOT get out of my head today! I tried every little trick I could, but just constant chatter. Yes, I did accomplish the 7.02 miles, but towards the 1/2 way mark, I was struggling with even a run 3 mins/walk 2. Had a hard time breathing (inhaler getting old?), body just felt tired - did not sleep well last night, and I had a few drinks. (Now I know I can't drink at all the night before a run) Plus about 1/2 way though, my left hand felt all swollen up (right was holding a bottle, felt fine). Is that something I need to expect from a longer run like this?

12/1 - 7.02 miles - 7.02 miles done

You did it! Outstanding!
    It's common for fingers to swell on runs - mine stopped doing it so much when I started paying more attention to keeping my arms tight and not "pumping" them, but sometimes it helps to squeeze your fists together once in a while.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    This morning's run was more about goals, I think than actual performance, cause, lets face it, I preformed horribly!

1: Finally accomplished a long time goal by running around Benderson Park lake. I did it today, twice. Man that lake is smaller when you are driving by it than running around it!

2: Farthest distance I have gone to date.

3: Going beyond my January goal of 200 miles for the year. (only needed 5.37 miles, got them plus!)

4: For the past 2 years, I have had a copied out post from a singer (Sully Erna from Godsmack) when he ran 7.02 miles and a quote: "Never let the body run the mind. The body will always be tired and give up. Always let the mind run the body!" on my fridge. Almost daily I have touched it & said "One day. One day I'll run 7.02 miles as well". Today was that day. (definitely a LOT slower than he ran it!)

However, I just could NOT get out of my head today! I tried every little trick I could, but just constant chatter. Yes, I did accomplish the 7.02 miles, but towards the 1/2 way mark, I was struggling with even a run 3 mins/walk 2. Had a hard time breathing (inhaler getting old?), body just felt tired - did not sleep well last night, and I had a few drinks. (Now I know I can't drink at all the night before a run) Plus about 1/2 way though, my left hand felt all swollen up (right was holding a bottle, felt fine). Is that something I need to expect from a longer run like this?

12/1 - 7.02 miles - 7.02 miles done

You did it! Outstanding!
    It's common for fingers to swell on runs - mine stopped doing it so much when I started paying more attention to keeping my arms tight and not "pumping" them, but sometimes it helps to squeeze your fists together once in a while.

Yes, feet and hands swell when you run, especially if you are tense. Relax your hands as best you can and make sure you are getting enough electrolytes. But some swelling is normal and to be expected.