Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    SQUIRREL!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The definition of how heavy something is, is a result of the force of gravity pulling on matter. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of mass.

Force=(mass) x (acceleration)

So using the 10 lbs or muscle to 10 lbs of fat argument...

Pounds is a measure of mass. Last I checked, we are on Earth. Therefore acceleration is 9.80665 meters/second squared (or gravity). So next: to solve for force (or how heavy an object appears on Earth) we input into our equation.

If you input 10 lbs of muscle into the equation to determine how heavy something is (force), you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

If you input 10 lbs of fat into the equation, you get this:
    Force=(10) x (9.80665)

Both equations will yield 98.0665 lb-meters/second squared.

Therefore 10 pounds of muscle is just as heavy as 10 pounds of fat and vice versa. :drinker:

So we can choose to put our trust in Sir Isaac Newton or accept that maybe you have just discovered a new type of physics. I'm not sure...

holy batballs! I felt smart for all of a milisecond, then this made my brain hurt... doh!

ahhh, my physics homework last semester.....

it taught me that 10 lbs = 10 lbs.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Example: 10 pounds of muscle weighs more than 5 pounds of fat.

Daaaammmmnnnniiiitttt! All these years I thought 5lbs weighed more than 10! Why didn't you tell me that 10 is more than 5 sooner?! Gosh!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

ahhh, my physics homework last semester.....

it taught me that 10 lbs = 10 lbs.
    [/quote]

Nice to finally put that physics knowledge into action. Haven't used it since freshman year!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling this debate will continue on for at least another 15 pages.

Does anyone know how many calories I can burn by repeatedly bashing my head against a brick wall?

how heavy of a wall are we talking?

Is the wall made of feathers or rice?
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is officially my favorite thread ever. And it's about to roll!

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach a dog to whistle." -Father.
    I believe this applies here.

Or perhaps...
    "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think"

oh *kitten* i just choked on my own spit laughing at this. ( i know that paints such a pretty picture)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Bry_all01, I didn't quote you, because I don't cuss or like to see other people cuss.

There's a reason why some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper and not a 10lb weight. I will not give the answer away.

but, we're not opposed to improper grammar or spelling?
  • sarah307
    Options
    SQUIRREL!

hahahahhahafa;sldkfja;sdkjf;alskjfda sf

goodness..
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I have to ask, doesn't the fact that every single other person on this thread is trying so hard to convince you otherwise give you a hint? Remember, these other people on the thread include English majors and scientists.

Jorra, education means nothing. I'm an educated person. I have a degree, just like all those so called English and Scientists on this board.

Education doesn't make a person smart.

That's the truth.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    This is officially my favorite thread ever. And it's about to roll!

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach a dog to whistle." -Father.
    I believe this applies here.

Or perhaps...
    "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think"

oh *kitten* i just choked on my own spit laughing at this. ( i know that paints such a pretty picture)

That's hot.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Bry_all01, I didn't quote you, because I don't cuss or like to see other people cuss.

There's a reason why some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper and not a 10lb weight. I will not give the answer away.

Is this some kind of Zen koan like "In clapping both hands, a sound is heard. What is the sound of one hand?"
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

If a rooster lays an egg on top of a tin roof which way does it roll??? I will not give the answer away either.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just wondering can you log laughing as exercise? :tongue:
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all the smart people on here and I would love an answer.

1. How come some people can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper with no problem, but can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell?

It's psychological or maybe even intimidation! lmao
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    "Stop eating all together to loose weight. Eating about 200 is fine."

WTF. I'm pretty sure this is not an anorexia site.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Taso, can you please advise how many calories we have/are LOSING (see, not LOOSING) from all of this hysterical laughter from this thread? Also, I believe this AZ person is playing the biggest prank on all of us. Has. To. Be.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Paper. It's made of paper.

Of course now there's a huge dent in it from my repeated head bashing.

I have a feeling this debate will continue on for at least another 15 pages.

Does anyone know how many calories I can burn by repeatedly bashing my head against a brick wall?

how heavy of a wall are we talking?

Is the wall made of feathers or rice?
  • sarah307
    Options
    If this is NOT a prank, then...

I am speechless.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you don't go over your calorie goal...
    does this mean I can eat a whole package of Oreos and still lose weight as long as that's all I eat all day???

Actually, in theory as long as you stay under your calories you WILL lose weight. Now. That doesn't mean that you'll be healthy, but you WILL drop weight.