Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie deniers

Replies

• gatherum89
    gatherum89 Posts: 28 Member
    I think calorie counting is another form of dieting. It may work short term, but research doesn’t show it to be sustainable for long term weight loss.

Given how daunting the statistics on long term weight loss are, what do you determine has been found to be sustainable?

Intuitive eating is the seemingly best approach to a healthy life. While a diet focuses on weight, inituive eating focuses on healing an unhealthy relationship with food. This means no denying yourself food when you’re hungry, even if you’ve “run out of calories for the day”, but it also means choosing healthy foods most of the time, and those more tempting foods sometimes. There’s plenty of books if you’re sick of dieting and want to look at a long term approach to loving and honoring your body!

This reads like your opinion. Given that you say the research doesn't show calorie counting to be sustainable, what research shows that intuitive eating is more successful for long term weight loss?

I think to learn better intuitive eating habits can come more easily from someone who is comfortable with counting their calories. I mean I know for me I can look at the quantity and type of food it is and just from counting the calories of that item before I can be pretty close to knowing how much I’m actually about to eat.

If someone hasn’t ever counted calories and you give them 2 cups of cooked brown rice on their plate, they’re probably going to be more off on how much they’re eating vs someone who has counted in the past and has built that foundation. Intuitive eating is going to be much easier for them imo

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think calorie counting is another form of dieting. It may work short term, but research doesn’t show it to be sustainable for long term weight loss.

Given how daunting the statistics on long term weight loss are, what do you determine has been found to be sustainable?

Intuitive eating is the seemingly best approach to a healthy life. While a diet focuses on weight, inituive eating focuses on healing an unhealthy relationship with food. This means no denying yourself food when you’re hungry, even if you’ve “run out of calories for the day”, but it also means choosing healthy foods most of the time, and those more tempting foods sometimes. There’s plenty of books if you’re sick of dieting and want to look at a long term approach to loving and honoring your body!

That sounds a heck of a lot like how I got 20 lbs overweight in the first place :wink:

I didn't have an unhealthy relationship with food. I just ate a little bit too much, every day, over 10 years or so. Calorie counting helped me stop eating that little bit extra. It helped me see where I was wasting calories. It helped me see I was accidentally eating pretty low protein, and sometimes low fiber. It made it easier to correct that.

I was hardly ever hungry while I was losing weight here. And I eat much "healthier" now that I can see everything in black & white.

I don't have an intuitive relationship with my bank account either. I have to keep track of that stuff or drift off course.

I think we may be losing sight of what intuitive eating is. Look at children, if you give them options to healthy foods and unhealthy foods throughout their childhood they will chose what they need to grow. They will also eat as much as they are hungry for and not much more. This is the basis of intuitive eating. While intuitive eating sounds like an easy concept to grasp, it’s not when you’ve disabled yourself from listening to your body.

Nope. They'll trade their healthy muffins and lean protein sandwiches for cupcakes and fluffernutter. They'll blow their allowance on Twinkies in vending machines. They go for what tastes good. Mom rarely gave me a snack in my lunch that wasn't fruit. So, I'd mooch; I'd spend my allowance; I'd go overboard at birthday parties. Because I wanted what the other kids were having. I wanted to fit in. And I'm sorry, but a Mars Bar tastes a lot better than an apple.

This is my experience as well. I have raised 4 children into adults and not a single one of them would choose veggies/fruit over a sugary snack 99 times out of a 100. They would only choose the 'healthy' snack if one of the adults was around.

Yup! Or if given no other option.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Intuitive eating paved my way straight into obesity. I - intuitively or otherwise - wanted to eat all the things all the time and - for me - actually supported an unhealthy relationship with food.
    My 'intuition' tells me to find the nearest all-you-can-eat sushi bar and make them regret their marketing model. :D

We don't have one of those where I live. Probably a good thing too as I can kill a lot of sushi.