Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie deniers

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    To pick a nit and refine some terminology here, technically, you don't have to *count* calories. There's a difference between the people who say that a calorie deficit being needed for weight loss is "outdated science" (those people exist), and people who tell you that you don't need to count calories to lose fat.

There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Saying that, energy balance deniers (as I like to call them) are charlatan). Eat clean and lose weight! Eat whole foods and lose weight! Eat xyz way and lose weight! Calories don't matter, what you eat matters! Those people are a huge problem and make up a big chunk of the diet industry and take up a lot of oxygen in the public consciousness in regards to ideas about dieting thanks to articles in the media and social media.

As a former 210 pound whole foods vegetarian :p , calories do indeed matter. Nutrition is important for your health, but for weight management? Calories are king. How you handle getting them under control comes down to personal preference. I myself do like counting. It suits my control freak and nerd tendencies.

So a short synopsis is you don't have to count calories, but calories count when it comes to weight loss.

i'd like to slightly revise the bolded above:
    So a short synopsis is if your weight self-manages itself, you don't have to count calories, but counting calories does mattercount when it comes to weight loss.

Not necessarily. Even people whose weight isn't self-managing can lose weight without counting calories *if* they adopt dietary strategies that put them into a deficit overall. Counting calories isn't required for weight loss, it's just a tool that makes it easier for people to consistently get into a deficit.

Sure it is possible for some to find strategies that don't involve counting calories. I have no clue what other dietary strategies might also work, and maybe some of the folks that don't want to count would like to hear more about what you refer to!

I counted calories while I was losing weight...I learned a lot, but it ultimately made me a little crazy. I don't count calories to maintain or lose if I need to. Right now I'm trying to drop about 5 Lbs that I put on over the late summer/early fall when I was battling some injuries.

For one, I'm very nutrition conscious and eat pretty well whether maintaining or losing, but when losing I cut back on more of my treat foods..like usually Friday night is pizza night...when I'm cutting weight, pizza night might only be once per month.

I also typically cut back on my portions for breakfast and dinner...lunch remains more or less normal. So instead of having oats and eggs for breakfast as an example, I'll pick one or the other. For dinner, I usually just have a protein and veg vs protein, veg, and a grain or starch in maintenance. There are exceptions like tonight I'm making a black bean soup.

I also cut back on snacking. In maintenance I snack more and graze more...when I'm losing I typically keep to one or two planned snacks in the afternoon/early evening (I eat dinner late).

I usually try to give my exercise a little bump up too...I exercise regularly either way, but I typically give it a little nudge when I'm trying to lose weight...hard right now because of the winter/cold/darkness, etc...I'm usually in the position in the Spring when the cycling seasons starts to kick off, so bumping up my exercise in the Spring is as much a get ready for the season thing as it is a lose weight thing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To pick a nit and refine some terminology here, technically, you don't have to *count* calories. There's a difference between the people who say that a calorie deficit being needed for weight loss is "outdated science" (those people exist), and people who tell you that you don't need to count calories to lose fat.

There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Saying that, energy balance deniers (as I like to call them) are charlatan). Eat clean and lose weight! Eat whole foods and lose weight! Eat xyz way and lose weight! Calories don't matter, what you eat matters! Those people are a huge problem and make up a big chunk of the diet industry and take up a lot of oxygen in the public consciousness in regards to ideas about dieting thanks to articles in the media and social media.

As a former 210 pound whole foods vegetarian :p , calories do indeed matter. Nutrition is important for your health, but for weight management? Calories are king. How you handle getting them under control comes down to personal preference. I myself do like counting. It suits my control freak and nerd tendencies.

So a short synopsis is you don't have to count calories, but calories count when it comes to weight loss.

i'd like to slightly revise the bolded above:
    So a short synopsis is if your weight self-manages itself, you don't have to count calories, but counting calories does mattercount when it comes to weight loss.

Not necessarily. Even people whose weight isn't self-managing can lose weight without counting calories *if* they adopt dietary strategies that put them into a deficit overall. Counting calories isn't required for weight loss, it's just a tool that makes it easier for people to consistently get into a deficit.

Sure it is possible for some to find strategies that don't involve counting calories. I have no clue what other dietary strategies might also work, and maybe some of the folks that don't want to count would like to hear more about what you refer to!

In a deficit, I typically keep meals and snacks from breakfast until dinner similar (depending on the day) and I have a "food bank" of items I chose from. Let's say snacks, I get a choice of: protein shake, cottage cheese with fruit, egg white scramble, shrimp and hot sauce, beef jerky. etc. I try not to go out of those boundaries and after weighing it once, I can eyeball the correct portion size. Making and following rules helps too, for example, having this much protein at each meal, limiting certain food items to times of day or week, they can be broken/modified of course but then I have to move things around. I also use my trend weight and know how to make adjustments in my eating habits that week to correct it if need be (ex. cut out morning snacks). This is what works for me.

• gatherum89
    gatherum89 Posts: 28 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Good insightful stuff here guys, and just to be clear when I say calorie deniers I’m talking about the people who flat out say you do not need to be in a deficit to lose weight. Or on the extreme cases flat out denying it in way that a calorie is something that can’t be measured or exist in food. There are actual doctors or quacks I’d say who have their licenses right now to practice who put out videos about this stuff. Imagine being a scientist and getting behind flat earth theory lol.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Isn't "portion aware" just a synonym for "estimating the amount of calories based on portion size," though?
    Out of personal experience, counting calories is important but when I eat Carbs with a calorie deficit I don't lose weight, I only lose weight on a low carb calorie deficit diet, everybody is different.

If that was true it would violate the laws of thermodynamics. With one caveat, if you aren't totally digesting certain low-carb foods it could be possible to eat more calories without gaining weight. Like for example many people can't fully digest raw nuts or certain raw vegetables. But in that case you would see the "evidence" (TMI).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    gatherum89 wrote: »
    Good insightful stuff here guys, and just to be clear when I say calorie deniers I’m talking about the people who flat out say you do not need to be in a deficit to lose weight. Or on the extreme cases flat out denying it in way that a calorie is something that can’t be measured or exist in food. There are actual doctors or quacks I’d say who have their licenses right now to practice who put out videos about this stuff. Imagine being a scientist and getting behind flat earth theory lol.

This makes me think of shouty guy. I haven't seen him around in a while. He would come and type in all caps about how calories aren't a real thing. That carbon was the key to energy for weight. He wouldn't tell me how to count carbon in my food though. He claimed to be friends with all the big named physicists. He also devolved into name calling. His coherency seemed to drop with every single post, not that he seemed too coherent to begin with. He did have a few posters he seemed to like. Maybe he's mourning the passing of Stephen Hawking (RIP - what a brilliant mind we lost there).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Isn't "portion aware" just a synonym for "estimating the amount of calories based on portion size," though?

No, it's a means of calorie restriction without exactly counting every calorie. Some seem to do well simply cutting back on portion size and continuing to keep an eye on it. They also do things like cut back on snacking, make wise food choices, etc.

Honestly, I maintained a reasonable weight for some time at one point when I was younger simply doing that myself. I still weighed a bit more than I wanted to, but I was a relatively low weight given my own history with weight at the time.

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    No, it's a means of calorie restriction without exactly counting every calorie. Some seem to do well simply cutting back on portion size and continuing to keep an eye on it. They also do things like cut back on snacking, make wise food choices, etc.

Honestly, I maintained a reasonable weight for some time at one point when I was younger simply doing that myself. I still weighed a bit more than I wanted to, but I was a relatively low weight given my own history with weight at the time.

But it's still sort of an indirect method of calorie counting. It's saying "if I eat X amount of food or less per day, I will lose (or maintain) weight." The amount of food corresponds to a calorie value, which may be unknown, but still you're adhering to that amount of calories indirectly. It's not the same as the calorie deniers (like some keto and low-carb people, or raw vegans and RT4, or even some "clean eating" people) who say there's no connection between the amount of calories eaten and weight, and instead it has to do with what foods you're eating.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When I was growing up (1950s/60s), calorie counting wasn't very practical for the average person, but people still lost weight intentionally. There were two common general methods**: One was reducing portions, basically the same thing as being "portion aware", a.k.a. "eating less". ;)

For people who stuck with it, it tended to work. Most people used a general idea of which things were "fattening foods" (ice cream, cake, etc.) as part of that, but they were in no way "estimating calories". Calories weren't on food labels, there weren't apps, there wasn't an internet; you could go to the library and look things up, or buy a very limited little book (in the latter part of that time), but it really wasn't practical. You could only call it "estimating calories" if you stand back reeeaaaal far and squint. (You'd have to say that the "eat only grapefruit" diet was estimating calories, then, too.)

There are people today who can lose weight the same way by limiting portions; they're not "estimating calories". If you asked them whether a steak or an ice cream sundae had more calories, they'd have no actual knowledge. (Witness that fact that dieters are fooled by Crispy Chicken Salads, because "salad is low calorie". They may even think they're estimating calories, but they're not.)

As an aside, there was a hilarious thread where one guy argued that people couldn't lose weight in the 1950s/60s (or thereabouts), because they didn't know about calories, and didn't know why people got fat. Heh.

** Just for the record, the other common method was following a very prescriptive "diet plan": For breakfast, eat 2 poached eggs, half a slice of dry toast, and a grapefruit half; for lunch eat a tuna or chicken salad made with a specified vinaigrette dressing recipe; for dinner eat a chicken breast with a side of green beans and a glass of skimmed milk - that sort of thing. (I made up those specifics, but it's not super far off.)

They definitely did know about calories back then and Weight Watchers, which is basically calorie counting by a different name, was invented in the 60s. But see above for why portion control is also basically calorie counting by a different name and isn't the same as calorie denial.
  • gatherum89
    gatherum89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Out of personal experience, counting calories is important but when I eat Carbs with a calorie deficit I don't lose weight, I only lose weight on a low carb calorie deficit diet, everybody is different.

If carbs prevented weight loss in a calorie deficit, that would be the solution to world hunger.

Lmao good one I like the way you think.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to looking for ways to "hack" or "trick" the process.

Yup (even, oddly, if it's actually more difficult -- never eat food you like again, but you can eat as much as you like!)
    "There are no calories in stolen food!" (Roz on Nightcourt, after swiping a fry from Christine's plate.)

Reminds me of when I was a summer associate and associate at a big law firm the ongoing joke was "if you don't pay for it, it doesn't have calories." Free food was everywhere. It was an incentive as a summer and a comfort/reward for having no life as an associate.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    [
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No. If portion control is calorie counting by a different name, then every weight loss method in the world is calorie counting by a different name.

All of them, under the covers, are about balancing intake and output, things we conventionally measure in calories, and sometime refer to as CICO. Calorie counting is either a specific method where you actually count calories, or the term is pretty meaningless and we need a new name for the method where you just . . . count calories.

And I think you maybe missed the part where I said I was alive in the 1950s? I'm pretty clear what happened then.

Not true. A lot of diets have to do with what you eat and the idea that eating or avoiding specific foods will help you to lose weight. Atkins, South Beach, RT4, keto, paleo, carnivore, plant-based diet, Starch Solution, "clean eating," and many others are all about WHAT you eat and say very little to nothing about how much you eat. In fact many of them openly state that there are no restrictions on calorie intake (you can look it up).

But the truth is that many of these restrictions tend to result in lots of people eating fewer calories (at least for a while). They work for the people for whom that is true, and not for those for whom they don't affect calories.