Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Calorie deniers

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Isn't "portion aware" just a synonym for "estimating the amount of calories based on portion size," though?

<snippage for brevity>

you could go to the library and look things up, or buy a very limited little book (in the latter part of that time), but it really wasn't practical.

<snippage for brevity>

I'm slightly younger than you, and I remember the era of the little book. My mother and aunt decided try their hand at it. A postage scale lived on our kitchen counter during that time. I remember them thumbing through that book and coming up with the oddest concoctions for themselves for lunch. They'd only have coffee and cigarettes for breakfast, knew what we were having for dinner, and worked out the rest of their calories from there.

Tuna mixed with tomato juice was one of the abominable things I remember. I was little at the time, so fortunately, I've forgotten most of the horror.

When I got older and my mother put me on my first diet, it was the "smaller portions, no snacks, no "fattening" foods plan. I guess she decided calorie counting was a huge hassle.

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    But the truth is that many of these restrictions tend to result in lots of people eating fewer calories (at least for a while). They work for the people for whom that is true, and not for those for whom they don't affect calories.

Yes, which I said in my previous post. But the people who created the diet plans usually don't acknowledge that it just comes down to CICO and that's why so many people fail on the diets, and also why so many people are now "calorie deniers."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are other ways of losing fat besides calorie counting like becoming portion aware. Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone.

Isn't "portion aware" just a synonym for "estimating the amount of calories based on portion size," though?

<snippage for brevity>

you could go to the library and look things up, or buy a very limited little book (in the latter part of that time), but it really wasn't practical.

<snippage for brevity>

I'm slightly younger than you, and I remember the era of the little book. My mother and aunt decided try their hand at it. A postage scale lived on our kitchen counter during that time. I remember them thumbing through that book and coming up with the oddest concoctions for themselves for lunch. They'd only have coffee and cigarettes for breakfast, knew what we were having for dinner, and worked out the rest of their calories from there.

Tuna mixed with tomato juice was one of the abominable things I remember. I was little at the time, so fortunately, I've forgotten most of the horror.

When I got older and my mother put me on my first diet, it was the "smaller portions, no snacks, no "fattening" foods plan. I guess she decided calorie counting was a huge hassle.

My mom had one of those little books, but yeah, not realistic. My mom never had a scale and I don't think ever actually tried calorie counting, but I recall reading the numbers in the book with fascination.

You can see why WWs got big, as well as all the dumb "eat this pre-planned menu" diets.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    But the truth is that many of these restrictions tend to result in lots of people eating fewer calories (at least for a while). They work for the people for whom that is true, and not for those for whom they don't affect calories.

Yes, which I said in my previous post. But the people who created the diet plans usually don't acknowledge that it just comes down to CICO and that's why so many people fail on the diets, and also why so many people are now "calorie deniers."

I agree that lots of people don't acknowledge it comes down to calories or that that is what the diet is doing and instead claim that calories don't matter.

Like GottaBurnEm, I'd distinguish between calorie counting and calorie control more broadly, which can be by actual counting or other means if they work for you. I found it just as effective to write down what I eat vs. counting calories, since it made me mindful. I currently think calorie counting is fun, but I think it's important to acknowledge how this works but also find another way if counting isn't for you.

I think we are saying the same thing, though.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    There are also some people (who are not me) who can lose and maintain if they stay mindful of portion control.

If you measure things and make sure you look at what you've measured every time you do so, you'll over time learn about portion control. It's more visual than a matter of the numbers. This is the approach I take: measure my item with a scale, and note how much of the bowl or plate it fills. As I try different cereals, for example, I note the differences in portion size - some are much more dense than others - more difficult to learn for me than, say, learning what a serving of meat or fish or dairy looks like.

In addition to learning better portion control, there are other behavior-oriented strategies that will work for some:
    • Learn your hunger and satiety cues. Don't let yourself get too hungry or too full.
    • Eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're not hungry any more.
    • Eat slowly and enjoy what you're eating - and make food choices you enjoy.
    • That means not eating when you're concentrating on something else.
    • If you're thinking of eating when you're not hungry, ask yourself what need you're trying to meet.
    • In other words, don't use food to meet emotional needs.

I think the strategy for losing or maintaining weight differs among dieters because we bring different behavioral baggage to the table.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I notice that it is always about CI vs CO and the law of thermodynamics however the way that insulin regulates fat storage and the ability to access that fat is never invited to the party.

My memory is a bit rusty here because I decided it wasn't a degree of detail I needed to be concerned with... so correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the reading I've done...
    • insulin doesn't "regulate" (as in control or dictate) fat storage.
    • insulin is a vehicle for nutrient transport in and out of cells.
    • that "transportation" goes both ways - in (storage) and out (burning)
    • the body is constantly fluctuating within/between burning and storing based on calorie need and calorie supply at any given time.
    • the net effect of those burn vs store fluctuations is dictated by the difference in supply vs need over time.

Beat me to it..