December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    So we did run last night. Don is apparently a bit more out of shape than I am. His Garmin said "3.5 days recovery" and mine said "26 hours" :smiley: He did try the whole "it is your fault we are going so fast" line. Went something like this:

At 8 miles he was like "we can turn here and cut it short, or go straight for 15 miles"
    ME: "I can push on to 15, but not at 8:45"
    HIM: "I am just trying to keep with you"

Pretty funny since I was a 1/2 stride BEHIND HIM and lost and he was leading the way. :)

We might make it a regular Friday thing since he supposed to be training for a marathon and our 12 miles run last night was more miles than he had done in a whole week in a while. Looking at the Strava data, he spent 83% of the run in Z5, and I never got to Z5 at all:

0hgmk6bbvvvm.png

So maybe I was somehow pushing him? He is not the first person to complain that they are just trying to keep up with me when I am BEHIND them. Wonder what I am doing...

A couple weeks ago I ran behind 2 guys who were both going faster than they needed to, mostly because neither wanted to be the one to admit they needed to slow down. It was kind of funny.

I know lots of guys that consciously or sub-consciously will refuse to let "a girl" pass them. I may or may not goad said guys on with this knowledge. You know, cause I am a good friend. ;)

I *might* sometimes mess with guys like that. Actually some women do it too, and I find these people more in road races than in trail races. It's definitely an advantage to pay attention to pace and your body and training, to know what you are capable of, and when to let people go.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So I can’t give you a running update because I’m still out of commission, but I can give you a lovely creepy crawly pick. This is a weta that came in for a visit. They’re a prehistoric cricket-like insect, endemic to New Zealand, and as we don’t do animals (we have a bat as our only native mammal) this is a scary as it gets here. This one is not a particularly large species, but he’s still about 7cm long in the body plus legs plus those ridiculously long antennae. I didn’t want to touch him as they are prickly and known to bite so he’s still on the kitchen wall!

Wait. Doesn't your vacuum cleaner have an extension wand? We have asian lady beetles every where. They are not scary. They will bite. But are mostly a stinky nuisance. I do worry that one will get in my ear when I'm asleep.

Hey. Name her Wena and sing the My Wena song to her from Bowling for Soup. (I just wanted to say wena cuz I'm 5). Good luck with wena the weta. :love:

My very first encounter with a weta involved me trying to vacuum him up (thought he was a spider). Note the use of the word trying. And he was half the size of this one. The are very strong and very good at clinging on to things for dear life. Also, as these are a kiwi icon and you don’t see them that often (they happily live in trees and I’ve only come across them a dozen or so times in my life) I am loathe to kill them - I’ll get hubby to move him outside.

Aw love it that you are also a bug saver! We get mostly spiders and scorpions except when it turns cold we have moths and lady beetles. I put them all outside. The beetles i have to bait with honey.

Maybe the weta is a sign of good fortune! I can see that it looks similar to a spider in its front legs.
    Now i wanna weta...
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2018
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    "You just gotta listen to your body. Unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water." :lol:

Apologies if this has been posted before...couldn't be bothered to use that search thingy.
    Lol! I'm sure I've never seen that before! Thanks!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    So I can’t give you a running update because I’m still out of commission, but I can give you a lovely creepy crawly pick. This is a weta that came in for a visit. They’re a prehistoric cricket-like insect, endemic to New Zealand, and as we don’t do animals (we have a bat as our only native mammal) this is a scary as it gets here. This one is not a particularly large species, but he’s still about 7cm long in the body plus legs plus those ridiculously long antennae. I didn’t want to touch him as they are prickly and known to bite so he’s still on the kitchen wall!

Wait. Doesn't your vacuum cleaner have an extension wand? We have asian lady beetles every where. They are not scary. They will bite. But are mostly a stinky nuisance. I do worry that one will get in my ear when I'm asleep.

Hey. Name her Wena and sing the My Wena song to her from Bowling for Soup. (I just wanted to say wena cuz I'm 5). Good luck with wena the weta. :love:

My very first encounter with a weta involved me trying to vacuum him up (thought he was a spider). Note the use of the word trying. And he was half the size of this one. The are very strong and very good at clinging on to things for dear life. Also, as these are a kiwi icon and you don’t see them that often (they happily live in trees and I’ve only come across them a dozen or so times in my life) I am loathe to kill them - I’ll get hubby to move him outside.

I love wetas! My husband and I build 3D models for video games and Weta Workshop (special effects guys) are like gods to us. Glad to hear you take care of your creepy crawlies.

That's what I thought of, too! I just didn't know about the insect.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today, have a fancy-pants dinner to go to for work. Yay.
  • Elise4270
    Options

Aw love it that you are also a bug saver! We get mostly spiders and scorpions except when it turns cold we have moths and lady beetles. I put them all outside. The beetles i have to bait with honey.

Maybe the weta is a sign of good fortune! I can see that it looks similar to a spider in its front legs.
    Now i wanna weta...
    I also carry bugs outside.
    Some other creatures appreciate it less than bugs: This summer we had a student staying with us for two month at work, who had never seen geckos before, but found them really cool. When one wandered inside, she wanted to help it by carrying it outside - and ended up holding its twitching tail, while the rest of the poor reptile scurried away. You should have seen her face :mrgreen: I assumed everyone knows that geckos will drop their tails to escape danger, bug apparently not.

Haha! Too cute! We have skinks. They also lose their tails.