December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Also, I have to ask: "drive-through Christmas lights show"?! Something like that exists?

Yes, we have them all over the USA. At least in the several states I have lived in we have them. Often they are set to music, sometimes they are just displays, sometimes a mix. We have not been to this one yet so not sure what we are in for yet.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    3.5 miles on the treadmill today. I usually do my weekday runs on the treadmill and my Saturday long (for me) runs outdoors, but it's 40 degrees and raining outside, so indoors it was...I learned today that it's possible to fall off the SIDE of the treadmill while running! Luckily I caught myself before I went down, but I still made quite the spectacle of myself. Sigh.

11.0/38.0 miles for the month

I used to walk on the treadmills at the gym between classes and got dumped off the back of one when I had a sudden sneezing fit. I thought I hit the shut down button, but obviously not! I managed to keep my feet under me, but between that and the doubled over sneezing I garnered way more attention than I liked! Now I pretend I didn’t see it if someone has a mishap, but they are okay.

I can’t believe I am telling this story. There is a treadmill mishap more embarrassing than falling off a treadmill. When I first started running, I bought some cheap sports bras from Walmart that zip up the front. Sweaty sports bras are a nightmare to get out of. I thought it was a smart purchase. NEVER buy cheap Walmart sports bras!!!!

I think some of you know where this is going. One mile into my huffing and puffing treadmill run attempt, the zipper broke. I was wearing a shirt but all the gentlemen (on the full row of 6pm, after-work, gym mirror facing treadmills) saw what happened. I tried to act casual and stop the treadmill while simultaneously speed walking to the bathrooms. At least they all waited until I walked out of the cardio room to bust out in laughter.

This is why Walmart and treadmills suck. I refuse to take part in either of these things for the rest of ever.

I gave you a hug because I feared the worst: You had been running in the bra and no T-shirt?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary That is one giant insect!!!! I am glad they aren't in my neck of the woods either. That would be scary to wake up to.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    For those that admired my weta, they come in a giant species. Freakishly cool and thankfully all living on a island a long, long way away from me.

pi6eo56qtebz.jpeg

For more:
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/64804/10-intense-facts-about-giant-weta

Oh geez, this was the first thing I saw when I logged on here this morning. That is a big bug!

It stormed ALL DAY yesterday, so I broke out my 10 year old Turbo Jam dvd to mix things up. Rain is clearing out this morning, so I am hoping to get in a run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Also, I have to ask: "drive-through Christmas lights show"?! Something like that exists?

Yes, we have them all over the USA. At least in the several states I have lived in we have them. Often they are set to music, sometimes they are just displays, sometimes a mix. We have not been to this one yet so not sure what we are in for yet.

We have one by my house the local running group takes an unofficial run thru every year. I go thru it now and then.
    It's free but they accept donations for the macc fund. (Candy cane lane, west allis, wi)
    There are bigger ones. This is one the neighborhood decided to do to raise money for a good cause. So people looking for homes have to decide if they are willing to make the commitment if they want one in that neighborhood
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Wow, @eleanorhawkins ! Sounds like you really nailed it! Well done!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    For those that admired my weta, they come in a giant species. Freakishly cool and thankfully all living on a island a long, long way away from me.

pi6eo56qtebz.jpeg

For more:
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/64804/10-intense-facts-about-giant-weta

I don't mind tarantulas and giant empress scorpions but
    NOPE and PUT THAT DOWN comes to mind
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Well that is one big bug! No worries about that one getting in your ear while you sleep!

@Avidkeo i think we all lose motivation from time to time. I know i do. There's nothing wrong with a break, and when this funky no-wanna-run mood hits, all you can do is embrace it hoping its the result of a subconscious need. Go for walks, swim, have a bike ride or try to anything until it passes.

Worst thing for me is having a great run and expecting all of them to be great. Yet in reality, 1 in 20+ are great runs.

I'm currently trying to get over the fear of running. I'm afraid if i run, it'll hurt again. So no run, no hurt. But then I'm not training like i want too. And I think I'm just waiting for this year to be over so i can magically start anew.

Good luck. Do some soul searching. Maybe you can figure out the where the wall is and plot to climb it. If you figure it out, please share because we all hit this from time to time and it'd be nice to have some insight how to manage it.

Think of weta zombies? You must run. :wink:
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    12/1 = sick
    12/2 = sick
    12/3 = sick / 3 miles
    12/4 = 10 miles
    12/5 = 3 miles
    12/6 = 3 miles
    12/7 = thunderstorms
    12/8 = 11 miles
    12/9 = 10 miles

December goal miles = 150 / 40 miles to date

Upcoming Races:
    12/15 = Stars at Night Half
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Think of weta zombies? You must run. :wink:

Welp, there's my new nightmare...