December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Sounds like you had fun with the mud :smiley: Did you get actual tea after the race? The last time I ran a winter race where they offered "tea", it turned out to be heated up sports drink. Which was a cool idea, but also kind of weird.
    Yes, they always have hot tea (lightly sweetened with something, sugar?). There's also sports drink, but you wouldn't get away with calling that "tea" here. I don't know if they heat that up, but I'll try it next month and report back!

• LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Think of weta zombies? You must run. :wink:
    @Elise4270 That doesn't sound impossible. After all, zombie ants already exist.

Nature is brutal - fascinating, but absolutely brutal.
  • polskagirl01
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks! Let's see if this works When I signed myself up and it asked what time I intended doing I worked out what 8 minutes per km would be as I was pretty sure I could drag myself that speed (though I even had my doubts about that at some points in training!) so put myself down for 2 hours 48 minutes.
    I felt great until kilometre 13 or so, saw some funny things, had a few giggles, saw my husband and daughter on a corner..... kilometres 14 to 17 were hard going, my knee started to feel sore and there were a few "wtf am I doing this for" thoughts. Then we turned back towards the city centre and I realised there were only 4km to go and picked up. Passed a few people who had run out of gas, munched on a few jelly babies and got back in the game. I passed the 20km marker at 2 hours 22 and got it in my crazy head I should try to finish in under 2 and a half hours. Missed it by 19 seconds, dammit! My legs will tell me all about why that was a really stupid idea tomorrow no doubt, but for today I'm happy! Average pace according to my app was 7 minutes per kilometre. I'll take it!
    For now I'm pretty much decided I'm doing another one on March 24th. Hopefully my legs and knees will agree after a few days rest and a the rest of December in easy run/recovery mode.

ETA not quite how I wanted to photos to work, lol still learning!

That looks beautiful! Would make a great destination race. Congratulations!!!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I’m sorry I haven’t been around the last few weeks, but I’m still alive and running!!

I ran the Busch Gardens Christmas Town dash 8k last Sunday. It was warm and misty and fun. I finished in 42:38 and finished 6th in my age group. This is by far my favorite medal just because it is so cute!

n9i6henljvvm.jpeg

I had been debating whether or not to attempt a marathon distance as I approached the end of my training plan... I was torn because the plan only had me run 18 miles as my longest run. I was really doubting that I could make the jump from 18 to 26.2. Well, what convinced me to give it a go was the fact that if I restarted a new training plan it would put me past my 41st birthday. I really wanted to say I ran a marathon at 40...

So this happened Friday

0nzb8u07wn7t.jpeg

I did it! I felt pretty good, though I did walk a few times. I fueled with 24oz Gatorade, 1 gu, and one packet honey stingers. My stomach didn’t revolt on me and I finished in time to get my kids from school 🙂

2 days later I don’t even feel sore, so I’m thrilled that I must have done something right!!

Happy running to you all and Merry Christmas if I don’t make it back to the thread before then!!

Awesome job! You just went out and ran marathon distance on your own? That takes some willpower-congratulations!!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins & @zdyb23456 Congrats and great job!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Think of weta zombies? You must run. :wink:
    @Elise4270 That doesn't sound impossible. After all, zombie ants already exist.

That is just wicked. Wow! What the poop. I was never worried about the zombie apocalypse, but now I guess I better watch the walking dead at least so I'm not totally unprepared!

I have a bat. I'll practice the double tap. Ooh unless I'm the zombie. I did have a dream of being hit in the head thrice on October 24th and dying. Maybe i was will be a zombie.