December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Question for everyone, how do you keep your feet from freezing when they get wet at low temps?

This happens to me when I'm running trail in the spring thaw and have to run through icy puddles of snow melt.

For shorter runs I suffer through it, and try not to walk too much.

For longer runs when I think there's an actual risk of damage I circle back to my truck and change socks and shoes. I try to avoid this because inevitably I'll start the truck to warm up my feet and by the time they're warm, I'm ready to quit.

Consequently, while I don't avoid mud or puddles, I do avoid snow melt if I can.

Unlike Lenny in cold weather, I avoid all forms of puddle (snowmelt, mud, water, etc) because I have a very hard time keeping my feet warm. Merino wool socks help a lot. I also use foot warmers. Waterproofing spray on your shoes helps (but only so much). If possible to change socks and shoes to dry ones with fresh warmers, do that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent do foot warmers work when they get wet?

If my feet get wet in the winter, then I have trouble keeping them warm too. Sometimes I just run with numb feet. As long as I'm not out long enough to get frostbite, they'll get thaw out and get warm when I get home and in the shower.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    woops dble post
  • PastorVincent
    Options

If my feet get wet in the winter, then I have trouble keeping them warm too. Sometimes I just run with numb feet. As long as I'm not out long enough to get frostbite, they'll get thaw out and get warm when I get home and in the shower.

I start having problems and need the warmers when the temps are in the 40sF So when the temp drops to the 20s like it is now, wetness on the feet is pretty much endgame for the run. The warmers already struggle to work under my feet due to lack of oxygen (though next time I run I plan to try them on top of my feet, see if they get more air) - getting them wet just makes that worse.

So, yeah, in cold weather I am better off turning back then letting my feet get wet if I can help it. Still working out how best to handle this. Last year I spent more time on the dreadmill then I would like to this year. So I am trying to find ways to run in lower temps. My legs and chest are normally fine, often overheated while I struggle with fingers and toes.
  • 7lenny7
    Options

I start having problems and need the warmers when the temps are in the 40sF So when the temp drops to the 20s like it is now, wetness on the feet is pretty much endgame for the run. The warmers already struggle to work under my feet due to lack of oxygen (though next time I run I plan to try them on top of my feet, see if they get more air) - getting them wet just makes that worse.

So, yeah, in cold weather I am better off turning back then letting my feet get wet if I can help it. Still working out how best to handle this. Last year I spent more time on the dreadmill then I would like to this year. So I am trying to find ways to run in lower temps. My legs and chest are normally fine, often overheated while I struggle with fingers and toes.

So they work, just not as well? I would have guessed that they wouldn't work at all if wet.

I wear them when I go deer hunting and have always used them on top of my toes. I couldn't stand them under, especially running.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Bravo on your HM!!!

@zdyb23456 I totally love that you ran a marathon distance on your own. Woman after my own heart.

@Elise4270 I saw your DH's marathon on Strava and said, "Woo hoo, you did it!!" out loud.

@scott6255 So happy for you doing your longest run!!!

@Avidkeo, I was going to say I think that running every day seems like a great way to lose your love of running.

@RunsOnEspresso Oh, no, I'm sorry!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Any Fitbit users explain this?

r97dlvs3cxp4.jpeg
    faxhr8aiogwq.jpeg

So on Friday I mostly sat at my desk and added a few steps to my day by going to the shops on the way home

Saturday I went for a hike in the woods carrying a heavy pack, up and down rough terrain, to the point that my quads are still aching.

And yet somehow I burnt less calories for four miles extra on the Saturday.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat probably to do with the 155 active minutes that you've got on Friday. Not sure what you did to get them from your description of the day, probably something that involved an elevated heart rate that it's mistaken as an activity. Fitbits can do that sometimes. Don't get me started about what my fitbit logs when I'm on the back of a motorbike, my heart rate is normally around 85 and so it thinks I'm doing something active.

But yeah, very odd.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

So they work, just not as well? I would have guessed that they wouldn't work at all if wet.

I wear them when I go deer hunting and have always used them on top of my toes. I couldn't stand them under, especially running.

The CAN work when wet, depends how wet. The thing is they need oxygen for the chemical reaction, that is why keeping them in vacuum sealed bags can extend their life after activation. If there is too much water so that they can not get enough air, they will fail.

Submerse your foot, and they are pretty much dead. Get them damp, and they still work.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @girlinahat Maybe it was the cookies?

i0exu4vtr2ke.png

HA!!!!! (post needs SOL (snickered out loud!) button.)
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    12/1-9 Totals: bike 41 minutes, run 39.1km

12/10 - run 16.5k

Just over 10 miles today in the rain. That counts as a long run for me. I didn't take gloves and really regretted it in the second half of the run, but had a dry hat in my vest-thingy that helped.

I spend too much time with y'all, apparently. Used my free time yesterday to compare 50k training plans. I'm still undecided about my future running plans, but I do know that the plans all scare me and I need a better "why" than "I love running" if I'm going to do something like that. Regardless, I have a plan, and a backup plan, and the option to bail completely if I so choose. For now, I just need to finish the HM plan I'm on :smile:

exercise.png

@polskagirl01 if you have a marathon plan you like you can just use that. Just do your long run on trails. If you can do a mid week run on trails as well, that's even better. Make sure you do hill work every other week.