Lovely.....
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    adkhiker63 and Almagreatness: welcome and what corner of the world do you call home?

DrKatie, was just thinking about you and your mom. Hoping it was a better day. Hugs

I was off to the dietician this morning, to catch him up on the latest round of doctor visits and make a plan for the next few weeks, especially since we will be gone almost 3 weeks. But, between gluten and histamine, it is tough to eat out. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise when I’m at home, but not when we’re traveling. Still waiting on a tryptase level to see if I’m still in an active allergic phase (for lack of anything else to call it) or if things are settling down. Moving meds around has allowed some water weight loss—a pleasant surprise today.

All of the talk about guests reminded me that I have to get the guest room cleaned out from my son and DIL’s stuff so that the other son can stay with us while he is in town. I love having a houseful! I love going down in the morning and finding all of the kids asleep in the home theatre, one of my brothers in the recliner and having coffee in the kitchen with my mom. Not everyone stays, because there are 24 of us, but even in the hotel you never know who is gonna end up where!

Checking lists tomorrow morning, maybe I’m done with the Christmas shopping and can get on with the wrapping. Yippee!

Have a good night, all🎄
    Kathy in KY
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Just finished listening to Boney M's 20 Greatest Christmas Songs, (twice!!), now it truly feels like Christmas! I used to decorate the tree while listening to it, our new place doesn't have the cd player in the living area, it's down in hubby's "man cave", so no cd's for me, just the tv. But up here in my "she cave...." I have my computer and my sewing machine, so plugged in the music and worked on the placemats that were/are my Christmas project. Every year friends and I do a project at Christmas, we've done many wall hangings, then table runners and this year placemats. Next year it looks like we'll do pot holders which will be great for gifts. None of us needs another wall hanging.... Finished my pine cone project, really must take the final photos and post them, it turned out pretty good, in my opinion.
    Hugs to so many of you who are experiencing family crises, my heart truly goes out to each and every one of you, along with my sincerest hopes for the best outcome.
    Lisa, so happy that your new job is making you so happy!
    Heather, lovely view to run towards!
    Penny, wow! your dad is a trooper!
    Allie, hope your function goes well! Sounds like Allison has got Mary's number but good!
    And my memory has failed me.....So, Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies! Stop by often and let us know what you would like to be called and where you are from, as general or specific as you feel comfortable with.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island where is has been raining all day. The long puddle that was at the bottom of our property has turned into quite the creek! (glad we live at the top of the hill!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Up early and excited about my son arriving today. Haven't seen him since January. I love him dearly. He seems so much happier these days. A couple of years ago he went through a very bad patch. Severe anxiety and depression and everything that comes with that. Now I can watch him every week on the Airsoft Action TV video blog he does on Utube. :D He is obsessed about many things I find very odd, or very boring, but his heart in in the right place. He now lives with a lovely woman friend, two teenage children, (hers), and three greyhounds. The two greyhounds he adopted probably saved him.
    I had to get two beds pushed together for his room as he is a very large lad. Found out last night that all the ceiling lights in that room are out. :o I will try a bulb today, but it might be a fuse. There are about ten lights in there, for some stupid reason. I do have side lamps. I will move out of his bathroom this morning after my shower and camp in DH's.

We wrapped most of the presents last night and they are under the tree. I haven't got anything for my son as he usually wants money. Some years I manage to think of a fun, silly thing to buy him, but I have not had my mind on the job this year. I'm sure he won't mind. He's only got to carry it back to Nottingham anyway.

Going to start my day now with a cup of tea for DH. Pitch black still outside, but we have to get our exercises done.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Well I've been awake since 2 am and will try and go back to sleep..my mind is racing on all I have to do today before work.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mornin', another busy work day but will schedule myself to go to the gym afterwork, it is becoming my escape!

Thinking about knittin a thick wooly hat on one of those round loom kits, anybody have experience with those?
    I have knitted in years but would love to give it a try and the kit looked simple enough, but would love input from you experienced crafters out there, thanks.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well I am up watched Joyce Meyers and had my tea, now to clean out the fridge and clean some more...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Heather, I don't like having people stay at my house. Now that Jake is sleeping on the new bed we bought for the guest room, we tell people that we no longer have a guest room but will be happy to spend time with them if they come to town. Jake's brother and his wife called yesterday to tell us when they'd be coming for a few days in June and Jake told them which nice motel was closest to our house.

<3 Barbie

I like this. :)

Because of my husband's brain injury, he sleeps somewhat restlessly, gets up very early, and will then sometimes take a nap. So he divides his time between our bed and the sofa in the main living area, leaving me to sleep relatively peacefully when I finally go to bed. Our sleep schedules are really wonky now ... they were a bit odd before, but now they're all over the place.

We do have 3 bedrooms but they are all really small. One contains the bed. One has been converted into a dressing room, and one is an office/storage room. There's not even enough room to lay down an air mattress in the dressing room or office/storage room. Although strangely enough, you could probably do it in the bathroom. For whatever reason, that's a fairly large room.

Anyway ... my sister-in-law keeps hinting she wants to come and stay, but I like our very quiet evenings (even quieter once my husband goes to bed). I find them refreshing ... much needed refreshment. Plus I don't know where we'd put her.

So every time she asks about staying, I tell her again that there's no room but that we'd love to go out for dinner with her ... and we'll even pay! She hasn't taken us up on that yet.

Karen BC & Barbie Many people succumb to the pressure of their own or others' expectations at holiday time. Recognizing and honoring what is best for you is liberating. Last year my stepson & wife wanted to be away from all family, so they planned a romantic trip! To each his own!

I'm with your stepson & wife. :grin:

Probably my two most memorable Christmases since I moved to Australia (almost 10 years ago!) have been when my husband and I have gone off on our own.

We did that two years ago ... usually he has to work during Christmas, but the planets aligned, and a few days before Christmas we knew he wasn't working. We hastily booked 3 nights in a place on the other side of Tasmania, grabbed the turkey and pans and bowls and other kitchen equipment (and beach wear, and cycling stuff) and drove out there on Christmas Eve. Then we made our Christmas dinner for the two of us with everything we brought. That was great!!

I don't know if you've seen the movie, Christmas with the Kranks, based on the book Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. Each time I watch it (they play it just about every year here), I'm rooting for the Kranks to go on their cruise. I always feel slightly disappointed when they don't. :tongue:

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Morning all... reading my way through, hugs to those that need them, welcome to all who are new...

Today's my first day in the actual office in town, about 20 minutes away - and will probably make Tuesday or Wednesday my regular office day--the rest of each week, I'll work from home. Have to get my phone set up, and get plugged into the office network. Sent off for the necessary connection that will let me plug my new laptop into my monitor, which is actually a flat screen TV, so I can work on two docs at once - no HDMI connection on the work laptop. The display cord will be in tomorrow, and it will help a lot. Working on a laptop is straining my eyeballs, even with 3x reading glasses...

Egg was gently chewing on my arm, and is now determined to have her head under my elbow while I'm trying to type... purring all the way. She will shortly be evicted so I can go take a shower and look like a professional person. :wink: But first, one more cup of coffee...

Love y'all!
    Lisa in Arkansas

I have 3 screens at work, and is it ever difficult to come home and use my laptop!! Fortunately it's pretty good ... although getting older now, so I can adjust. But I do like doing some of my homework at work so I can spread it all out over the three screens. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well I've been awake since 2 am and will try and go back to sleep..my mind is racing on all I have to do today before work.

Write it down ... then read a bit of light fiction ... turn out the light and close your eyes. :)

I find, that as long as I've written it down, I can let go and trust the system. Most times anyway.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well ol busy bee is still at it what a pain in the neck cleaning the fridge out was .but that is done and dusted..onto vacuuming and then take a shower and take Alfie for a walk and take out the garbage..the. back over to Walmart for the stuff I forgot yesterday have to remember to write a list..not going to go feed DFIL today ,but will do so tomorrow.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, Margaret! I know that's a relief, getting started is always a lovely thing.

Speaking of getting started, I'm all spiffed up and work-ified, so I'm off to the office. Gonna be a good day... :smiley:

Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I don't know if you've seen the movie, Christmas with the Kranks, based on the book Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. Each time I watch it (they play it just about every year here), I'm rooting for the Kranks to go on their cruise. I always feel slightly disappointed when they don't. :tongue:

M in Oz

Machka I really like John Grisham. I haven't read that book or seen that movie. Putting them on my fun things to do list. Thanks!
    Margaret How great! You've been busy. I wonder how your son is feeling as he wakes up this morning?
    Lisa Have a wonderful day at your new job!
    My granddaughter & daughter-in-law have another snow day, so we agreed to give my grandson a whole day off without online school. He has attended required live class sessions Monday & Tuesday, but there are none scheduled for today. I don't think it occurred to him that there are no snow days when you do online school. :) We changed his schedule to a "planned vacation day" for today, so it's official! He gets a snow day! I know he is happy...and I am, too, because I can stay home & do some chores before I go to work this evening! Yay!

Karen in Virginia
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Allie ... I was up at 4:00 am when my cell phone alerted me to an Instagram message that wanted me to add "Grace and Day" ... whomever they/that is. I spent that time turning off notifications on my cell phone ... Sheesh.

Younger son sent me an email at 5:30 am (which is 4:30 his time) ... seems no one is sleeping anymore. He wanted to share an email he received from his Lyrics professor. Received a 99/100 on his final and would have received a 100 except for an alliteration that didn't quite make sense ... possibly due to a typo. Anyways, the point here is in her email she was commending him for knowing himself and his abilities which is "key," she said, to doing well in the Music Industry. Do you think my son is trying to make a point with his mother? :D I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.

With all the talk of guest rooms, I just realized I need to put sheets on my son's bed!

Have a great day, ladies!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Mornin', another busy work day but will schedule myself to go to the gym afterwork, it is becoming my escape!

Thinking about knittin a thick wooly hat on one of those round loom kits, anybody have experience with those?
    I have knitted in years but would love to give it a try and the kit looked simple enough, but would love input from you experienced crafters out there, thanks.

NYKAREN

NYKaren – I’ve knitted hats on the round looms. I’ve used yard that was super bulky (#6) and, to me, this worked out the best. If you use regular yarn, it’s best to use two strands for each loop. To me, sometimes if found I didn’t get both loops to bring over the peg (does that makes sense?) but using only one strand of the super bulky yarn, to me, made that much easier. Maybe I won’t have as much problem when I’ve done quite a few. Yes, it is very easy. Not something that you really need to concentrate on, which is why I find that it’s a craft that’s good for doing at the Green Room, I can easily put it down, answer the phone, then start back up.

Michele in NC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - forgot to mention (because this has happened to me) always be sure there's the loop that remains on the peg after you bring the one loop over. There have been times when something's happened and for some reason the top loop went off the peg. I've just put it back on.