WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Friday ...

5 km run up and down some hills and to the the beach and back.
    Upper body weights
    Stretches

And homework ... I stayed home from work today to work on homework, but figured I'd get some exercise in too. I don't like going a day without exercise.

I've put in 8 hours of exercise so far this month.

Machka in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    read to page 11 - been too busy to breathe!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I did not discover yoga until after I retired. My first teacher was wonderful and classes were just a few blocks from my home. She eventually needed a paying job to support her family. I went looking and found a great yoga teacher in a fitness club in the next little town. I’m still there after several years and am happy with my classes. I try to go three times a week, but don’t always make it. Mondays and Friday’s are my favorite classes. :flowerforyou:

Debrakgoogins: It looks as though you’ve been handing a bad accident by doing good things to help your body heal. Congratulations on your amazing improvement. :star:

Meg: It is good to hear from you! I am sorry that your husband’s first anniversary in prison led to a meltdown for you. You are an amazingly brave woman. I hope we’ll see a bit more of you here. :heart:

Barbara & Pip: The rant certainly didn’t offend me. I’m glad you’re both on MFP. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m glad that you were able to have a good visit with your friend who has cancer. You seem happy in your new home, and that is wonderful. :heart:

(((Allie)))

Karen in BC: What beautiful babies. Enjoy them! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your holiday crafts are so delightful and I am impressed with the time, effort and skill it took to create them. :heart:

Rori: I also have Christmas Cacti. I inherited the first from my mom. I’ve bought another and have babies from each of them. They’re currently in bloom and looking lovely—in the guest bathroom. Their usual place is occupied by Christmas decorations for now. I love the basket plant holder in the picture you shared. It is very appealing. :bigsmile:

Machka: I agree with bwcetc. You are very likely a much better person to teach those classes than the airy-fairy contingent. You’re intelligent, articulate, and have personal experience. My guess is that most of them have no personal experience with the challenges that face the family of a person who has been injured. :noway: I'm sure they've taken loads of classes, but life experience is more valuable than classes in this situation.

Janet: I am so sorry you’re having vision problems. I hope they can be treated successfully. :flowerforyou:

I’m ready to head for bed. It has been an up and down sort of day, and I hope that tomorrow is better. We will be seeing my son on Sunday and I look forward to the visit with him. We’ll meet for a meal in Tacoma. He will be in the area because of a work-related trip. I’m glad it brought him close enough for us to share a meal. The chance to share a meal is a great Christmas gift for us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Barbie—I gave up coffee five months ago. I too liked the cream and sweetener, and I couldn't find a replacement that worked with the diet. Nothing is sacred when it comes to losing this prison I'm wearing.

Cari in cold, rainy North Texas

Brilliant Cari! "this prison I'm wearing." Powerful imagery there.
    --
    KarenBC Adorable twin boys. <3
    --
    Janetr So far I don't have macular degeneration, but I have friends/relatives with it. I don't know anyone with pockets of water on their corneas. Keep us posted. (((Hugs)))
    --
    Barbara CCRCs are expensive but they vary widely. A big commitment.
    --
    Machka I work in a medical field. I can tell you right now that you do not need to learn how to communicate with health professionals. You are intelligent, straightforward, precise, and well-informed. I am willing to bet cold hard cash that you ask specific, appropriate questions designed to clarify.

The problem is that not all of the people you are communicating with are as educated or as globally informed as you are. Often people on the front line are well-meaning, but scripted...and limited. A brick wall in disguise. This is not necessarily their fault, and they do take the brunt of the frustration from people who really need to know the stuff that they don't know. It's maddening. That moment when you realize you are listening to a recording you thought was a person. The only thing I can suggest is that you give them permission to admit that they don't know: "It's OK if you don't know the answer. Please tell me if you don't know, so I can make good use of my time."

Those who give the ludicrous sets of instructions are scripted, too, but my gosh that's obnoxious. I think laughing out loud, as you have already done, is a brilliant response.

Moving on up the food chain to the people who know the stuff you need to know - some professionals are receptive to discussion/questions/planning/problem solving...and then some of them aren't. And that is the ultimate frustration. A professional who withholds information from patients/advocates is one of the mysteries of life. It would make me murderous if it happened to me.

I think you are Wonder Woman. I definitely want you in my corner if I get sick. Wowza!
    --
    I just read what Katla responded to Machka. Much more succinctly said than my response. I agree with every word.
    --
    Bronners I learned about Bronners from my partner...who grew up in Frankenmuth! Can you imagine growing up in a town like that?
    f7i3ewkjzvi9.jpg

Karen in Virginia
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Margaret - love your paintings, and pleased that painting is helpful for you, too... it honestly is one of those things where I can drown myself in it, both because I'm learning and because I genuinely love color and pattern. Color, especially, makes me happy at a very deep level, far below the level of conscious thought.

JanetR in OKC
    - The idea of transplanting anything is worrisome, but add that to the fact that it's your eyes, and it does sound scary. But apparently, it's actually the most common transplant after blood, as they consider receiving blood from a blood bank a transplant, as well. There are definitely some well-respected surgeons in your area that do them. Hopefully someone here can speak out of personal experience.

Machka - you are such a down-to-earth, practical person about all of your and your husband's journey through his recovery--you might want to add writing a book to your already crowded schedule, to help people through their own, similar journeys. It sounds like a roadmap that at least gives general direction would have been helpful for you.

I'm almost giddy with relief at being finally done and dusted with the one job, and ready to start the other on Monday... but ended up on the phone with one of my co-workers last night who is going through similar issues with the same interim CEO. All I could offer was sympathy, and assistance with her resume. She is mentally and emotionally exactly where I was nearly two months ago, and the pain, especially about the injustice of it all, is eerily reminiscent of mine. It makes me wonder if this is a pattern for the CEO--put pressure on everyone and see who cuts and runs. Well, I ran, and am so terribly glad to be out of all the drama-drama. Hoping very much that the new council I'm going to is less... dramatic.

Off to the races, my chickens... need that second cup of coffee, and once it's light, will go out to the workshop and get picture frames made, both for my daughter's paintings and for a number that I want to put up in the house. We're taking Sunday off, and going to see Mannheim Steamroller this weekend. Can't wait! Have wanted to see them for years. If you're not familiar with them, they do the dramatic, instrumental Christmas music, lots of brass and drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP3sYPyk3Y0

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Lisa Mannheim Steamroller! Such a delight.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lisa Mannheim Steamroller! Such a delight.

I know, right! Couldn't be more excited... :D and it's only 20 minutes away in downtown Fort Smith... love it! We also picked up tickets in April for the Celtic Women, who are on tour as well. My husband's always wanted to see them--we listened to their CD until we wore it out on long car journeys. There are a lot of big acts that come through this area.

Allie - your babies look adorable.

Lisa in AR - still waiting for daylight...

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,557 Member
    Options
    Uuuuu
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,929 Member
    Options
    :)Janetr , My mother had a cornea transplant in 1990. I'm sure the procedure has been vastly improved since then. She was happy with the results because it improved her vision. What I remember is that she had to be ready to go to the hospital when a cornea became available for her and there were lots of eye drops afterward.

:)Allie, Your dogs are darling.

:)Machka, my husband went to a cancer support group meeting once and realized that he knew as much or more than the leader and struggled to not try to take over. He has a background in counseling and a strong spiritual program . When he told her he wasn't coming back, she called several time to try to get him to come back because he would have been useful to the others in the group. I know it's not the same thing as a carer's group, but the same principal. I think you already know as much or more than the leaders and could be useful to the other participants by sharing your experience which might not be what you need with your already busy schedule.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Pip - you do need to be here. You have DA BOOT! B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie))) It has been a tough year for you. I’m sorry for the loss of your dad, but happy for the gains in self-confidence and happiness that your new home has brought you. Ditching the cheater was a very good move on your part. :star:

Lisa: Congratulations on finishing the old job with dignity and diving into a new one that is very likely to be perfect for you. :heart: PS: I love Mannheim Steam Roller & Carol of the Bells is a favorite. Thank you for sharing it. :bigsmile:

Today is the anniversary of the Japanee attack on Pearl Harbor. My dad served in the Pacific theater in WWII. He was on a ship that was attacked by kamikaze fighters in the south pacific. Their ship was hit but managed to go on. He was plagued by nightmares of fire aboard ship, of the Kamikazi’s and also the flame throwers in the South Pacific islands for the rest of his life. I think it is appropriate to remember the past, pay our respects to those who served, and also to appreciate the transformation of our relationship with Japan since then.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Katla~ God Bless your dad and thanks for his service.. some people just dont get how people have put there lives on the line to keep our freedom... I dont get political , but I watched part of President Bush's funeral and burial and I just want to say they dont make politicians like they used to, with moral integrity... I got to meet Senator John Warner at my dads college reunion and there is another man, sure everyone has there faults but they don't have a im better than anyone else attitude,,,
    enough on that...
    just stopped at my dads one more time and left a nice card for the new homeowners and took some pictures of the outside of the house..
    who knows if we will get anything after all the fees and such I am just hoping I get back what I put in the last 11 months...
    I am going to a cookie swap tomorrow so I am making 3 different types of brownies... and we are doing a yankee swap so have to pick up something for that... it will be fun.. this is with Tom's first wifes family... we love each other very much.. I know I know.. its just crazy but hey what can I say we will be meeting at Jennifers dads house which is Sharon's first husbands home and they get along great too...
    I have forgiven Tom for what he has done and hope to remain friends , I have grown alot in the last year.. and the lord has worked through me
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ So sad that our father's suffered so much after the war. I think my Dad had PTSD (which of course was not heard of back then). It really changed him a lot.

Allie ~ Love the pics of the pups. Does the poodle sit up like that often? So cute!

Carol in Ga
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Yes the family home..walking around remembering all the holidays ,when I was little going in my parents room and sleeping at the end of there bed...
    All sorts of things ..sweet memories

Praying for you today, Allie.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the love ladies
    Much appreciated..
    Carol - yes he sits like that when he wants attention we call if meerkatting because that's what he looks like...have all the brownies in the oven and some cooling..then off to the lawyers
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,223 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The advent beach hut for today on the sea front. :D
    s2149ixak3ea.jpg
    There's a different one every day with mulled wine and mince (fruit) pies.
    I was out on my run with DH walking, as we went out in the twilight to buy chocolate ice cream from Marroccos to go with the orange cake for guests.

Previously we had had a really productive day. I put in the door bells and set up the outside tree lights. Both were a first for me and I was nervous.
    Both went perfectly.
    DH went out to buy the right size screws for putting up the coat hooks unit. That proved difficult as there was a police operation in the road. :open_mouth:
    The hook thing looks wonderful, but is designed by an idiot. The fixings require measuring to a fraction of a millimeter. We measured and measured and did a trial run with nails and we managed to get it right with a lot of sweating and trepidation. Impossible to see where the screws were. etc. But WE DID IT!!!!! Looking good. :D I have just ordered a toning shoe rack to go underneath.
    So a very good day.
    I think we will decorate our Christmas tree with Edie tomorrow.

Much love, Heather UK XXXXXX