WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    I don’t know why the pictures went in the middle. No time to try to fix.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures of babies and kids and different Christmas things. Enjoying all the sharing. Must head out for my morning walk. It’s a bit warmer this morning but still need to bundle up.

Logged food every day this week. It keeps me honest. I wasn’t aware how much my snacks were adding calories. Ha!

Betsy in NW Washington
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies -

I am heading back to the TX Hill Country this morning. I should make it home with just enough time for a quick bath and primp to get ready for our neighborhood Christmas party. If my flight is late, then I’ll be going as is and will still have a good time. Well, I’ll change shoes for sure! I’ve been wearing the same two pairs of shoes for almost 3 weeks between our time in Tahoe and my time in the Bay Area. Comfie shoes for sure, but I need a little variety!

Happy weekend friends!

Okie who is headed back to the TX Hill Country
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Baby Pics
    Ornament Pics
    Scenery Pics

Love them all! <3

Carol in GA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA and Kelly. Thank you for sharing your babies with us. It's just so hard to believe the our grands have grown this quickky. Seems such a short time ago that Olivia, Juaqin and Mia were born so close together.

Thank you ladies for your sweet comments on Matthew.

Janetr OKC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Allie - love those photos of the pupsters! I can see why you enjoy walking them, personality all the way. Glad your dad's house sale is all done (is it?) and hopefully no more attorneys and irritating letters/phone calls.

Kelly - that Joaquin is a doll. Always makes my day to see these all little ones (Janetr's and Karen in VA's) and amazed at how fast they grow.

Tracey - I can see why your ornaments are such a hit. Now that your "old" job is done, do you have anything new on the horizon? You many have commented on that and I streaked past it, lol.

Lisa - I'm up to 198 friends on FB - and I don't follow any of them nor do I get notifications. They are former co-workers, former school friends, some local friends. I like being able to see what they are up to from time to time but other than that I keep them in the shadows, lol. Having connections or at least the ability to connect with people as I age and become more introverted and isolated, this is important to me.

It's been a good few days. Called a HALT to the snacking and am getting reacquainted with what hunger feels like. I am ready to re-watch "The New Skinny on Fat" when my enthusiasm starts to lag - I purchased access to the series when it was running last year. May tap into the "Broken Brain" series as well. Was able to download that one.

Just got back from a walk and realized I left my Fitbit plugged into the charger, lol. Oh well. I refuse to let technology rule me! B)

Quick request - could someone please repost instructions on how to post a "Spoiler".... I know that's been done recently but sadly didn't save that information. Have a situation I want to share that's not really MFP related.

Have a good day!!

Lanette
    Chilly & Rainy SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,858 Member
    Options
    Way behind! This morning we woke up to the first snow on the ground in the desert We’ve seen. Pretty surprise!

RV Rita

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Alison: I remember night sweats, and not fondly. Life is better when they’re done. :ohwell:

Heather: You’ve given yourself a stern lecture, and I’m proud of you. Finding a way to let go of perfection is not an easy challenge, but I’m convinced you will succeed . :heart:

Lanette: I’ve used the HALT Stress system for many years. You’re the first person I’ve heard mention it in all that time. It is powerful. I’m glad for the reminder, because I’ve needed it now and then and forgotten to follow through. :embarassed: I plan to add the list to the bottom of my post for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

Today we are hosting our niece and grandnephew for a dinner, and an opportunity to watch the Christmas Ships parade that is an annual event here in the greater Portland area. The ships are private pleasure boats, all dressed up in holiday lights. They parade in Portland nightly, and visit our little town one night per year. It is fun to watch and we have the advantage of a perfect view from our own windows.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

To Halt Stress ask yourself four questions:

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, you have a practical way to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Katla- I have never heard of HALT! I will be writing that list down and applying that to my life immediately! Thank you B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Found the spoiler setup!!

Something troubling happened yesterday. We have "new" neighbors "Jane" and DH who moved up from California early this year. They are nice and friendly, and I knew the gal has major back problems from some type of accident stemming from early 2000's. (I don't know the details). She mentioned she's in the process of getting her disability claim case relocated to WA. Here's the story if you want to read it:
    About a month ago, a gal representing the insurance company handling Jane's case came to the door, doing an update/review on Jane. I answered a few of her questions as best I could about Jane's mobility, and told her Jane has also often commented on her pain and limited activity on Facebook to take myself out of the middle. As she prepared to leave, we saw Jane drive in and carry a couple small bags into the house which answered investigator's questions about Jane's ability to drive and carry light items.

The investigator kept going around the neighborhood. I didn't feel it was necessary to let Jane know as I felt it was routine since the claim process was reassigned to a WA provider, plus I didn't want her to worry since my answers supported her claims of disability.

Well, yesterday another neighbor stopped at Jane's house and filled her in that an investigator had been by. Jane emailed me, in a panic, wondered if I spoke with the gal. I replied that I had, and Jane reprimanded me for telling the gal information which could be construed as being "private" and that I should have refused to speak to her and told her to speak to Jane instead.

So I picked up the phone and called Jane, told her in my experience, by refusing to speak with someone that has legitimate purpose like that, it sends up a red flag. If investigators want to find out information, they will, and a person doesn't want to appear uncooperative because who knows what else they'll uncover. I told her not to worry since she wasn't observed doing cartwheels or changing a tire.

Jane cooled off, and said she'd contact her attorney in CA, that she needed a shot in her back which she would normally get every 3 months and hadn't had one since January.

Have any of you ever dealt with insurance investigators or the process of moving disability claims from one state to another?

I think this also serves as a "heads up" about what we post on Facebook. I used to rely on it and other social media when I assisted with internal investigations and prospective employee background checks at my 911 job.

I am praying Jane's case file gets set up quickly and she can continue with the shots she needs.
    Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Katla - thank you for sharing the HALT list. I'm trying to think of a way to add "B" for boredom. Maybe B'HALT for someone like me who binge eats out of boredom?

Enjoy your dinner with niece and her son, and those Christmas Ships! You have a front-row seat!!

Kelly - "transitioning" sounds like an appropriate term for your MIL. Seems like our bodies know when we are done on this plane and start their shut-down process. I agree, it's a chance for everyone to stop and say good-byes. When my parents passed, we had the opportunity to meet up with friends and relatives and share good memories with the person present the room. I hope the last words my mom heard were of her kids laughing..... we sure tried. o:)<3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    LOL I was in such a hurry this morning, I goofed. Karen VA- Love how big Phoenix is! He definitely looks big sitting on his grandmere's lap. <3 Janet- Matthew <3<3<3 What a doll baby!
    Tracey- You and your hubby do such a nice job on those ornaments! Beautiful! I wish hubby and I had a hobby we shared. Not yet, though. Maybe in the future. We DO organize our pill boxes together! Romantic, huh?
    Pip- Enjoy your last 5k of 2018. Is this the one you do every year (or at least the past couple of years?) Get good pics of all of the runner costumes!
    Heather- So happy that you have the benefit of having one on one time with your grands! AND the option of "just a quick visit" with them. lol I expect that by the end of January, everything in your house will be in it's place and easy for DH to find. Tim has been driving me a bit crazy with his forgetfulness, due to his meds. If I have to show him where the batteries are stored one more time I am going to go through the roof!
    Yvonne- My father passed away eight months after my mother died. My sibs and I are positive that he was around long enough to make sure we (the kids) were all okay, then he went up to my grandmother's cabin (his mom) and stocked up her firewood and got her ready for the winter. He had a heart dissection while up there and never recovered from it. Geez, that was a rough year. The Bush funerals this year, brought that all home. A hard year for that family, but there is something "sweet" about a long married couple passing so close together.

My mother in law is not doing well. She is "transitioning". I really hate that word. It is such a confusing and misleading word; but in this case we are pretty sure she won't be with us much longer. She is sleeping almost all of the time. Maybe awake 10-15 minutes a day. In the past week she consumed only about 500 calories. She no longer gets out of bed. I think Tim is in a bit of denial. Granted he has been in some serious pain due to his RA, plus he pulled something in his back; but I have offered to drive him over one evening, so has his brother and sister in law. I think he is afraid to go. I really hope he gets over this soon because if he misses his chance to be with her before she goes it will eat him up for a long time. (Been there, done that)

Didn't hear a word from the doc's office as far as scheduling a consultation about ultrasound results. I guess I will call them on Monday.

Well, Trentin is here and bouncing off the walls; I better get him outside for a while. No snow to shovel, so we will go for a walk and or work on burning some branches in the back yard. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Yes it is, I’ve been doing all of them since I have been with kirby, so this is the 22nd year
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kelly ~ Your MnL's situation just makes me want to tear up. So sad! My MnL & FnL both passed away the same night. He had a heart attack and then she was so upset she had one too. It was very hard and unexpected for us, but in a way, we have always felt that it was wonderful that neither went through a long time of suffering.

Lanette ~ I do not know any of my neighbors well enough to answer any questions about them. I hope your neighbor is able to get the help she needs.

Cold & Wet in GA today,

Carol
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I almost never post on facebook anymore for the very reason you are considering on making a change. I am appalled that MFP is using them in any way, but it appears that is the case. Did facebook buy the company? Just wondering.

Katla
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Katla, like the HALT information. I’ll make use of it.
    Thanks
    Betsy in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Lanette If someone is applying for a job that requires a special government clearance & I am contacted by a federal or state investigator, I answer all the questions they ask as well as I can, after I confirm with the acquaintance that it's legitimate.

If I'm approached by an insurance investigator, I advise the investigator that I will be glad to answer their questions after I have given my friend or neighbor a courtesy call. I get the name of the insurance company, the name of the investigator, and verify what their motivation is; are they a Workman's Compensation carrier, are they a privately hired company, are they a Disability company...just who are they? I want to know exactly who I am talking to & what their motivation is before I agree to answer questions. Maybe I am just an old cynic, or overly cautious. I work in a field where privacy and confidentiality are paramount.

Kelly Those are some tough stories about the deaths of your parents and now your mother-in-law. I feel sad for you and Tim.

I miss my mother.

Karen in Virginia