What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm on the nope train for eggnog.

There was this kids cookbook we used to have back when I was little that had a recipe for "eggnog". It was basically just milk with vanilla and tiny bit of sugar frothed in a blender with nutmeg sprinkled on top. That was pretty tasty.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

There was this kids cookbook we used to have back when I was little that had a recipe for "eggnog". It was basically just milk with vanilla and tiny bit of sugar frothed in a blender with nutmeg sprinkled on top. That was pretty tasty.

Egg-less eggnog? :lol: Sounds better than the real thing to me, anyhow.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    pinuplove wrote: »

That's why it was good :D
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Oh, vanilla milk! My mom used to make that for us for a treat instead of chocolate milk sometimes!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    mph323 wrote: »

Oh, vanilla milk! My mom used to make that for us for a treat instead of chocolate milk sometimes!

Well see, if she'd just had my kid's cookbook, she could have sprinkled nutmeg on top and called it "eggnog" and made you feel all fancy!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    Yes! Raisins are gross and I don’t understand why people enjoy putting them in perfectly good desserts 😂

I was so pissed one time I thought I was buying chocolate covered almond and it was raisins -_-
    I threw the whole thing out lmao

Also, I don’t buy Tim Horton’s coffee - I was talking about food/donut wise. I need to try McDonald’s coffee though. A lot of people seem to like it.

Tim Hortons donuts/food isn't that good either.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited December 2018
    admaarie wrote: »
    Yes! Raisins are gross and I don’t understand why people enjoy putting them in perfectly good desserts 😂

I was so pissed one time I thought I was buying chocolate covered almond and it was raisins -_-
    I threw the whole thing out lmao

Also, I don’t buy Tim Horton’s coffee - I was talking about food/donut wise. I need to try McDonald’s coffee though. A lot of people seem to like it.

Tim Hortons donuts/food isn't that good either.
    To you. Lol. But I was comparing it to DD which to me is completely trash.

I’m on the eggnog is disgusting side as well. Taste like rotten milk to me.
    The only holiday drinks I actually care for is hot chocolate and peppermint mochas!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I really dislike eggnog unless there is dark rum in it.

I just dislike eggnog. It's cloying and the texture is gross. Plus I cannot convince myself to use that many calories on a drink, no matter how 'festive' it may be.

I drink one a year because it is a family tradition. By itself eggnog is too thick and sweet. I think mine ends up being mostly dark rum with a splash of eggnog for appearance sake.

I like egg nog. After I've cut it in half with milk. Bonus points if I added rum and nutmeg. But by itself it is very gloppy feeling.

:open_mouth:

All that's missing are the Oreos!

I'm surprised Oreo hasn't made an Egg Nog flavor.

They need to bring back Gingerbread.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I find pies to be extremely underwhelming, especially for the amount of calories they are. The crust is meh and the fillings (apple, pie, pumpkin, etc) don't do anything for me unless they're half whip cream. Give me cake or soft cookies instead.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I find pies to be extremely underwhelming, especially for the amount of calories they are. The crust is meh and the fillings (apple, pie, pumpkin, etc) don't do anything for me unless they're half whip cream. Give me cake or soft cookies instead.

Me too. I'd rather have cake, cookies, brownies, or some kind of quick bread.

I'd SO much rather have pie than any of those (although good cookies would be a close second). IMO, the best dessert is a good homemade pie (the trick is having a good crust) with an excellent fruit filling, not too sweet (I'm not into pumpkin that much, am picky about pecan, and would argue that NO good pies have whip cream anywhere near their filling, ugh, although on top is fine with something like pumpkin), and then ice cream on the hot pie. Best pies are (1) strawberry-rhubarb, and (2) apple. A really good key lime pie is something I will not turn down also.

Cake sucks by comparison and is over-rated in general, although some cakes are nice. I actually am a huge fan of olive oil cake and there's a lemon and lavender cupcake I've made that is delicious and not too sweet.

Quick breads are just okay, although I like a cinnamon coffee cake which I think is basically similar.

Brownies are lame, I'll put them in the donut category of rarely worth the calories, although they aren't as pointless and unpleasant as fudge.

Other desserts not mentioned can be good, including a good cannoli (but bad cannoli is very bad).

There are things I am forgetting, but I think there's a theme, which is that good desserts should not be too sweet, and the best desserts do not involve chocolate (although I love unsweetened brewing chocolate, have a weakness for chocolate covered nuts, and am fond of small portions of Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate (88%), or the occasional piece of chocolate more generally, so long as it is in small amounts).
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I'd SO much rather have pie than any of those (although good cookies would be a close second). IMO, the best dessert is a good homemade pie (the trick is having a good crust) with an excellent fruit filling, not too sweet (I'm not into pumpkin that much, am picky about pecan, and would argue that NO good pies have whip cream anywhere near their filling, ugh, although on top is fine with something like pumpkin), and then ice cream on the hot pie. Best pies are (1) strawberry-rhubarb, and (2) apple. A really good key lime pie is something I will not turn down also.

Cake sucks by comparison and is over-rated in general, although some cakes are nice. I actually am a huge fan of olive oil cake and there's a lemon and lavender cupcake I've made that is delicious and not too sweet.

Quick breads are just okay, although I like a cinnamon coffee cake which I think is basically similar.

Brownies are lame, I'll put them in the donut category of rarely worth the calories, although they aren't as pointless and unpleasant as fudge.

Other desserts not mentioned can be good, including a good cannoli (but bad cannoli is very bad).

There are things I am forgetting, but I think there's a theme, which is that good desserts should not be too sweet, and the best desserts do not involve chocolate (although I love unsweetened brewing chocolate, have a weakness for chocolate covered nuts, and am fond of small portions of Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate (88%), or the occasional piece of chocolate more generally, so long as it is in small amounts).

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it. Like for example this homemade apple pie recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/ contains a cup of sugar total in the filling alone (not counting the sugar in the apples and the crust), divide by 8 slices in a pie, that's a lot of sugar! I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust. Also there are only a few desserts I like that DON'T involve chocolate (like banana or cranberry bread, and I also like lemon-lavender cupcakes), and if I'm having a dessert, 80% of the time it will be chocolate related.
  • GottaBurnEmAll

We are dessert twins, except for the fact that I do like brownies. Though come to think of it, I preferred blondies. Hmmm. And I do sweeten my brewing chocolate.

One of the best desserts I ever had was on our honeymoon. The restaurant served a parfait of the best strawberries laced with cannoli cream (the ricotta kind, which imo, is the only kind that should ever be in a cannoli).
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it. Like for example this homemade apple pie recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/ contains a cup of sugar total in the filling alone (not counting the sugar in the apples and the crust), divide by 8 slices in a pie, that's a lot of sugar! I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust. Also there are only a few desserts I like that DON'T involve chocolate (like banana or cranberry bread, and I also like lemon-lavender cupcakes), and if I'm having a dessert, 80% of the time it will be chocolate related.

That is way too much sugar! One of the joys of baking your own pie is that you can control how much sugar you add. I made apple pie for Thanksgiving with Granny Smiths which were pretty tart and only used half a cup of sugar. It was just sweet enough.
  • lemurcat2

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it.

You realize you can control that by how you make the pie, right?

IMO, a well-made, delicious pie will not have a super sweet filling.
    I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust.

There are a huge variety of ways to make a pecan pie (which is why I said I'm picky about them). Most are awful, but there are good ones.
  • lemurcat2

We are dessert twins, except for the fact that I do like brownies. Though come to think of it, I preferred blondies. Hmmm. And I do sweeten my brewing chocolate.

One of the best desserts I ever had was on our honeymoon. The restaurant served a parfait of the best strawberries laced with cannoli cream (the ricotta kind, which imo, is the only kind that should ever be in a cannoli).

I like blondies, so I think the twin thing works!.