WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did the Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Carol – I was just thinking about Lenora this morning and was about to give her a call! Is she home do you know?

Allie – “Eat what you want as long as it fit” I would just add “good food" (no junk) Good luck on your journey

Vince is starting to take down the Christmas decorations. He’s putting the train away and later today we’ll probably get the Christmas totes in the house.

For all crocheters: do you know what this pattern is? What is the level of difficulty. I have one for each of the kids and I’d like to make one for Denise’s baby.

Tracey – whose weight ISN’T up a bit today? I know mine is.

Carol – we always have pork on New Years and something green

Cheri – happy early birthday. Enjoy!

Barbara – your “tree” came out really nice. And you used puff pastry, right?

Took most of the outdoor decorations in. We wanted the inflatables to start drying out so we can put them away. Some of the other things are still outside. Brought in some of the storage containers.

Welcome everyone new

Cari – how wonderful that you feel so close to your in-laws!

Kylia – what wonderful news about Aubrey! Thanks for sharing. Love your word and its meaning

Michele in NC
    g9ze7o14lbce.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    I'm cleaning out some of my DVD's to make room for more

If you are interested in any of these, please PM me. I only ask for the price of the postage, which in the US is typically about $3. (it's only *a little* bit more for multiples)

Kelly Coffee Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Training
    Gold's Gym Muffin Top Meltdown
    Patrick Godeau Play Ball in Four
    Pilates Intermediate
    Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting
    Transform Your Body with Brooke Burke
    Extreme Makeover the Workout Weight Loss Edition

an Amazon gift card is fine.

Michele in NC
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!
    I've been reading, took me a few days to catch up, but I did it! The holidays are over, Christmas is still up at my house, took some down today, will do a bit more tomorrow and see how it goes from there. Tomorrow also has to be housecleaning day as I've put it off for two days now and won't have time for the rest of the week. I read a few posts about what your weight was at this time last year, so just for the heck of it I decided to check. Well, I am down .2 of a pound. This means that I spent a whole year losing and gaining the same 5 pounds! Grrrrr.... Needless to say, this has spurred me to action! Well, I was already planning on getting into action today anyway, but I really fought the boredom munchies today so it's been a good day. Just kept asking myself "Are you hungry?" When the answer was no I found something else to do. I did have a snack this afternoon, but it was a banana and I had plenty of calories available.
    Christmas was good, but I'm kind of glad that all the hoopla is over and life can get back to normal. Unfortunately, this does mean that I won't have so many excuses not to get things done, but that could be a good thing too! lol I really need to do some decluttering, I'm reading about how so many of you are doing that, and I'm getting inspired! I have a few places to start, and I must start in a certain place in order to have a space for some of the clutter! I have several blankets in closets and a cedar chest that once belonged to my mom. The plan is to put the blankets in the chest, but first I need to get the baby clothes out of there and give them to my son and daughter in law. They are expecting their second in May and she has a larger family that stuff gets handed down and around through, so better in there house than in mine.
    I've not thought of a word for this year, so many good ideas on here, but I think my one and only goal this year is to end each month weighing less at the end than I did at the beginning. How I shall accomplish that is by cutting out the junk and by not eating after dinner. I also should work on my sleep habits, I tend to stay up way too late. I will start with the food and go from there.
    Hugs for those needing them, Congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2019.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island where it has been sunny and beautiful for two days!
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Michele, that stocking should be fairly easy to make, it looks like it's just a single crochet. I would start at the bottom, you will have to decide how many stitches to start with and when to start decreasing once you get the foot part done. The tree is, of course, made separately and then just stitched on, the name is also just stitched on. And it looks to me like it's just a simple shell that has been used to stitch the two sides together. It might take some trial and error, but I think it would be somewhat straightforward. You might consider looking at pinterest or something like that to see if you can find a pattern, or just google Christmas stocking and see where it takes you! Good luck!
    Evelyn
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    This from realtor's monthly newsletter:
    How Morning Routines Can Improve Productivity

There is no magic bullet for creating maximum productivity, but studies and interviews with high achievers have shown that a well-executed morning routine can produce powerful results, according to The Ladders.

Most morning routines boil down to a few basic principles such as waking up before most people, outlining three specific big things to accomplish, and managing procrastination that can be oriented to fit within anyone's schedule.

Waking up before other people isn't just to prove that you have better willpower but, rather, it allows you to have a chance to plan the day and be proactive rather than reactive. If there are already emails, phone calls, and important meetings occurring right when the alarm clock goes off then anxiety can set in and you will simply be reacting to the day until you are too tired to continue and the most important goals will be pushed to the back burner. Instead, take the first two hours of each day to have breakfast, exercise, meditate, read, and otherwise prepare your mind and body for the day ahead. Next, identify the three specific things that, if accomplished during the day, will move the needle on your long, medium, and short-term goals.

Once the day's agenda has been prepared, designate the body's natural period of peak performance, about 2.5 to 4 hours after waking up, as protected time used for the most important tasks. Avoid procrastination by creating a starting ritual, such as a cup of coffee or sitting down at a specific desk to send a signal to the brain that it is time to start working. During those times in which the most important task just can't be tackled for whatever reason, however, use 'positive procrastination' by intentionally avoiding it as long as you follow the rule that you have to work on the second-most important task rather than goofing off.
    unquote

Love the phrase "positive procrastination." Giving it a try ;)

Carol, mama always ate pickled herring (yuck!) on New Year's Day.
    Lanette 30 g of fiber? Wow! I struggle to get 20. Must be that avocado ;)
    Tracie in WI congrats on the new job! Wasn't bored and welcome back from another Piscean whose favorite color is blue ;)
    Rebecca you have the gift to make everything more fun!
    Beth your commitment to improve your own health rings out loud and clear. Brava!
    Heather "enjoy your food" true that!
    Cari "make molehills out of mountains" love that concept.
    Bonnie "de-cluttering both my home and my body" great image.
    Machka "care more about the things that matter to me ... and less about the things that don't" Brilliant!
    Michele, yup, puff pastry courtesy of Pepperidge Farms :devil:
    Michelle in ?, "not feeling good about myself" is what motivates me... that and the pending annual physical ;)
    Viv "computer time after I have done my chores" me too. Frittering my time away in Spider and FreeCell solitaire does NOT make me feel good.
    Welcome Becky, would let us know your general location? Including it in your signature helps us to keep all new gals straight in our minds.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    01/01/19
    walk one more step 1/31, 60 g protein 1/31, rx/vits 1/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 1/31, SWSY UP 0/9, SWSY LOW 0/9, core 0/9, play with Tumble 0/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 1/31.
    LT: Meditate/Knees 10:10=y MT: SWSY after lunch=n ST: CFRFPD Minutes 11:00=Y
    Word for 2019: "GOOD"
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    This from realtor's monthly newsletter:
    How Morning Routines Can Improve Productivity

There is no magic bullet for creating maximum productivity, but studies and interviews with high achievers have shown that a well-executed morning routine can produce powerful results, according to The Ladders.

Most morning routines boil down to a few basic principles such as waking up before most people, outlining three specific big things to accomplish, and managing procrastination that can be oriented to fit within anyone's schedule.

Waking up before other people isn't just to prove that you have better willpower but, rather, it allows you to have a chance to plan the day and be proactive rather than reactive. If there are already emails, phone calls, and important meetings occurring right when the alarm clock goes off then anxiety can set in and you will simply be reacting to the day until you are too tired to continue and the most important goals will be pushed to the back burner. Instead, take the first two hours of each day to have breakfast, exercise, meditate, read, and otherwise prepare your mind and body for the day ahead. Next, identify the three specific things that, if accomplished during the day, will move the needle on your long, medium, and short-term goals.

Once the day's agenda has been prepared, designate the body's natural period of peak performance, about 2.5 to 4 hours after waking up, as protected time used for the most important tasks. Avoid procrastination by creating a starting ritual, such as a cup of coffee or sitting down at a specific desk to send a signal to the brain that it is time to start working. During those times in which the most important task just can't be tackled for whatever reason, however, use 'positive procrastination' by intentionally avoiding it as long as you follow the rule that you have to work on the second-most important task rather than goofing off.
    unquote

Love the phrase "positive procrastination." Giving it a try ;)

My morning routine is more or less shooting out of bed, running through the shower, and dashing to the bus. I've got it down to 35 minutes. 30 minutes if everything goes really smoothly. Even 25 minutes if I've hit "Snooze" one too many times.

I would not like a life where there are "already emails, phone calls, and important meetings occurring right when the alarm clock goes off". I make a point of not booking any meetings until 9:30 at the earliest. That gives me time to get there, get my black coffee and water (my breakfast), and get settled into work before I actually have to deal with anything.

One of the more annoying things about the last several months is that I've received emails during my bus ride into work regarding my husband's situation ... often asking me to make decisions prior to 9 am. NOT going to happen. They'll just have to wait.

I do the whole read, prepare the day's agenda, etc. between about 4 and 6 pm, exercise between about 6 and 7 pm, then do my homework during my own personal natural period of peak performance: between about 8 pm and midnight. :)

Evidently, I'm one of the 10% or so who have a really late personal clock. :grin:

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Kylia - What wonderful news! As Karen said, those newborns are amazing and heal superfast. <3

Barbara - That sounds like a book I read a while ago called LEVEL UP YOUR DAY. My day does go like that, though I spend 2 hours exercising before anything else happens. Then I should write. Haven't been so brilliant at that since we moved. :'(

Penny - I too love my running, though in easier circumstances than yours. Round here the main challenge is when it's blowing a gale! We haven’t had those for several weeks, so I've been spoilt. It's now turning colder.

Just had a phone call from my brother to say he's coming to see us tomorrow with my DSIL. Staying the night. :D<3:D<3
    I'm delighted. He has been so busy over Christmas with his HUGE family that getting together was impossible.
    So I've got to clean the bathroom and make the bed upstairs. Haven't decided what to do about food. ;):*
    Tempted to go out. DH and I were talking about going to a pub tomorrow with live music, so we could combine it with that. Hmmmm. Or maybe pop over for a few minutes to see the grandkids and go for a pizza. Or I could cook. :/ Choices, choices.
    Really looking forward to seeing them, though.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Penny - I too love my running, though in easier circumstances than yours. Round here the main challenge is when it's blowing a gale! We haven’t had those for several weeks, so I've been spoilt. It's now turning colder.

Yeah, Heather, I've sensed that you've found the running groove, but it's nice to see it in black and white. I'm with you 100% on the challenge posed by wind. As for circumstances, sure, I've got low temperatures and light levels to contend with, but I almost never have to deal with traffic. :wink:

Time to get out and pound the ice!

/Penny
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    it's heaven getting out of bed at 9am

Pip - I was thrilled to sleep until almost 7! I got to bed about 1:30. I’ll crash tonight by 9!!

Okie
    PIP.........9am?

OKIE ......7am?

From someome who was thrilled to sleep untill 5:30 am. :D Gonna take Barbies advice
    & compare myself to myself. Have been waking most days around 3 am .....oooh that is
    Way too”early”. If I have learned anything at all thru the years,this body is gonna do what
    it wants.Enjoy sleeping in,ladies. Sounds wonderful.

Prayers for baby Aubrey & family.

LANETTE,your reason for not counting calories is mine for not weighing between Dr’s visits.If I was up....might as well eat,if I was down,Whoo,might as well celebrate by eating good stuff. I’d be ashamed to tell you how long it took to figure that out. Anyway,just had a Check up,after 14 mos .....& wt was exactly the same. I was happy with that.Not happy dance in the street,but will take it.
    No eating for a14-15 hr stretch hasn’t caused a loss,but keeps me level.

HEATHER,sorry your DHs DD transfers her problems to his shoulders.
    Don’t we all deserve a cut off date,just by age if nothing else.JMO

So happy Aubrey is doing well.

Need to get this day started.DH is showered & dressed.Still coughing,but hopefully feeling better.
    Have a feeling we have the same “Cold” Barbie has & will be lingering for a while yet.
    Pat in Oh
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    it's heaven getting out of bed at 9am

Pip - I was thrilled to sleep until almost 7! I got to bed about 1:30. I’ll crash tonight by 9!!

Okie
    PIP.........9am?

OKIE ......7am?

From someome who was thrilled to sleep untill 5:30 am. :D Gonna take Barbies advice
    & compare myself to myself. Have been waking most days around 3 am .....oooh that is
    Way too”early”. If I have learned anything at all thru the years,this body is gonna do what
    it wants.Enjoy sleeping in,ladies. Sounds wonderful.

Further to my night owl comments a little earlier (a few posts above), sleeping in for me is 11:30 am or noon. :grin: Yesterday, I crawled out of bed at about 12:20 pm and could have easily slept for another hour or so!

I start thinking about bed around midnight or 12:30 am, and if I get into bed by 1 am, I'm doing well. On the weekends, it is usually 2 am. :)

M in Oz