January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Kimtrooper wrote: »
    Second run this morning of 4km & 4 kangaroos hopping past. Faster than me of course lol. [...] 😀

Wow, fantastic! I thought this was just possible in the movies (with special effects and all). Nice for you!

So... are you still in 2018? :lol:

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Thanks! After getting a pedicure & walking around the grocery store to pick up a few things yesterday, I made an appt w/my podiatrist for this morning. Just as I was getting ready to leave, they call & rescheduled for Monday morning (he's not feeling well), so I'll put my running on hold until then just to be sure there isn't something else wrong. Last time I thought it was "just a little bother", I ended up having to have ortho surgery!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 , @MNLittleFinn , @JessicaMcB A new race - a differant concept .
    Sounds like one you would like. A bit of travel involved to get to the start line for lenny & LittleFinn

OOOOOOO....way outta MY comfort zone at the moment, but one that is going on The List of "Races I'd Like To Do, Yet More Than Likely Never Will"! (along with Barkley, NYE in NYC Central Park, St Petersburg Russia Santa Run, Disney's, Antarctica…)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yay! @kristinegift is back!!!! Lovely to see you again!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    As most of you know, I am a newbie to running. I am also an analyst and so I study everything I become interested in. I have discovered that my easy runs are probably not as easy as they should be. My heart rate is regularly above where it should be for those runs.

So...with that being said, I am also researching wearables that are better suited to running. I currently have a FitBit Charge 2. I like the diagnostics it provides but don't care about the social aspect. I would like something with a GPS and notifications if I am getting above my target HR. I don't want to be looking at my wrist all the time, especially since I run in cold weather and have gloves on when I'm running. I have seen some that include music download options but the reviews for the music seem to be hit or miss.

You've given me good advice in the past. What wearables do you/have you use(d)? What do you like/not like about them?
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As most of you know, I am a newbie to running. I am also an analyst and so I study everything I become interested in. I have discovered that my easy runs are probably not as easy as they should be. My heart rate is regularly above where it should be for those runs.

So...with that being said, I am also researching wearables that are better suited to running. I currently have a FitBit Charge 2. I like the diagnostics it provides but don't care about the social aspect. I would like something with a GPS and notifications if I am getting above my target HR. I don't want to be looking at my wrist all the time, especially since I run in cold weather and have gloves on when I'm running. I have seen some that include music download options but the reviews for the music seem to be hit or miss.

You've given me good advice in the past. What wearables do you/have you use(d)? What do you like/not like about them?

I’ve been thinking of investing in one as well, so look forward to the advise
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent You never disappoint.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't been on this thread in a long time, but I'm looking for some advice. After a significant amount of time barely running and then another significant amount of time not running at all, and also a significant amount of weight gain......... I started C25K Sept 28. I spent about 5 weeks slowly working my way through the first 3 weeks of the program, repeating workouts, since I knew I was really out of shape. Then we got a treadmill and I decided to restart from the beginning (sort of, I didn't do all the workouts) to adapt to the treadmill. So I continued to repeat some workouts but managed to get up to week 6 day 3 last night, which is the 22 min run. (So it took me 12 weeks to do 6 weeks of the program not due to skipped workouts but because of repeating workouts.)

Here is my dilemma........I am running/jogging really slowly. For my warm up I try to ease up to 3.5mph walk (and I double the warm up from 5 min to 10 min because I feel it helps me) and then when it's time to run I only hit the 4mph button on the treadmill :( Then I slowly increase to max 4.6mph. Earlier on when I was running shorter intervals I was doing 5-5.5mph but when the run time started increasing I abandoned that all together. The thing is, even running at a pace that most people would barely qualify as running, my heart rate is in the 170s and last night even got up to 181.

From this point on in the program, there's no more walk breaks. It's a couple 25 min runs I think then 28 min then 30 min (at which point I won't be hitting 5k!) If my heart rate is so high, do I need to be running 30 minutes without walk breaks? (FINALLY - my actual question!) Should I work up to the 30 min and just strictly stay on 4mph jog until it gets easier? Or should I just take walk breaks to let my heart rate calm down a bit?

The 22 min run last night didn't feel terribly hard. Mentally I was breaking it into quarters of 5.5 min each, and yes, I was working hard but not like I was gonna collapse. I have previously had high rate while running even when I was much thinner and fitter. But I guess I'm afraid my poor fat self if gonna have a heart attack on the treadmill. LOL

Any ideas/suggestions how to proceed? Sorry so long :-p
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lisaloumn2 wrote: »

I’ve been thinking of investing in one as well, so look forward to the advise

I use the TomTom Spark 3. It is a little bit less expensive than a Garmin but still has all the features I want. The GPS is accurate and it has a heart rate monitor. You can upload music or a map onto the watch. I use the watch (vs. my phone) to listen to music on my short runs.