January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Today my husband and I ran our first trail race! And also our first race which was part of a series. The Memphis Winter Off-Road series starts with 3k, then 5k, 8k, and finally 10k, at four different venues in the Memphis area, making it a perfect way to ease into trail racing.

Well done! And that sounds like a great race series to start with!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Great race report!! Sounds like a lot of fun! And a really good AG finish!
    Also makes me realize I should really get some trail shoes! I don't really run on trails much but I signed up for a trail 5k this year and I definitely don't want to be sliding around!!
  • hitartist
    hitartist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish I had contacts I can compare my progress wig
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @Orphia @Avidkeo and @Kimtrooper yep I'm in Brisbane, Aus ☺

Damn even again lol

Oh, no, sorry, I'm going to offend someone here for forgetting them, but who else is a Kiwi other than you and @ContraryMaryMary ?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Damn even again lol

Oh, no, sorry, I'm going to offend someone here for forgetting them, but who else is a Kiwi other than you and @ContraryMaryMary ?

She doesn't post very often but @emmab0902 is kiwi too
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I want to prioritise running a bit more this year. I started running about 3 years ago with C25K. I completed the program and was still running regularly but without really any goal in mind. Usually I'd do about 3-4K round the block in the morning 2-3 times a week.

My friend then got me in to Parkrun (a free weekly timed 5K at the local park on a Saturday morning) and I decided to focus more on time. I really wanted to achieve at sub 30 minute 5K (probably quite slow for a lot of you but a real challenge for me) so I upped my running frequency and distance. I also signed up for a 10K last February where I astounded myself by completing it in 1:04. Spurred on by this I finally got my sub 30 minute 5K the following week. However, I have not been able to achieve this since and during the latter half of the year I was running less frequently and my time was creeping up until I was regularly coming in at around 33 minutes. Parkrun was becoming the only time I was running, and I found it really hard to motivate myself to run during the week.

I am determined to get back to sub 30 minutes so I will be upping my frequency to 3 times a week (2 weekdays plus Parkrun). I am also looking at doing another 10K later in the year because having a goal to work towards motivated me to run more regularly. I might also join a local running group because running with other people is what motivates me to do parkrun every week so I would love a chance to do this during the week. I just need to find one with slow people like me! So I want to use this group for accountability for my weekly runs and also to record my parkrun times and hopefully get a bit faster.

This is my January so far:
    01/01/18 – New Year Parkrun – 5K – Time 32:19 – Pace 6:33/km
    05/01/18 – Parkrun – 5K – Time 32:04 – Pace 6:24/km

@jesspen91 Welcome back!! I really love your plan, it's excellent! What country are you in?

LOL, don't get me started about how awesome parkrun is!!! :smiley:

#loveparkrun #DFYB (don't forget your barcode) #smallpalloneword #itsarunnotarace :smiley:

I've only missed going on 4 Saturdays in 169 weeks.

I've really enjoyed doing Parkrun the last couple of weeks. Looking into getting it started at home. Problem is finding a suitable venue
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Damn even again lol

She doesn't post very often but @emmab0902 is kiwi too

Wow, cool! Thanks!

@emmab0902 The incredible swimmer? I keep admiring her more and more, but it looks like now we are mortal enemies. ;):smiley: