WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka thanks for the pics, especially love the one of your grands by the cabin and your gran with a bicycle (your apple didn't fall far...). Met your stepson for the first time today? He must live far away?

My husband and his kids had drifted apart before we became a couple. I'm not sure why ... and I'm not sure why his son decided he wanted to see his dad again. But we had a really nice dinner together with his son (my stepson) and his fiance last night. They're really nice. :)

We're also grandparents via my husband's daughter (my stepdaughter), but it may be a while before we see them. That's life sometimes.

Nevertheless, we were both very happy yesterday went well.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My grandmother passed away last night. This is her ...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157705319874975

And my grandfather, way back when ...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157624449430564

Machka in Oz

She and her husband seem to be healthy fulfilled.people. I'm happy you had her with you so long.

My grandparents loved each other dearly ... I think they're finally together again. :)

And I am very fortunate to have had my grandmother here on earth with me for almost 52 years of my life.

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Bianca.... my brain rebels at any calorie number under 1350. It's psychological. I am limiting my eating to a 5 hour window. I thought this would be impossible, because, like you, I'm usually hungry after 2 hours of eating. Guess what? I'm doing it with minimal discomfort and, more surprisingly, I'm finding I eat must less than I anticipated after going so long and I'm immediately satisfied. It's a delay don't deny kind of approach as those who do this kind of fasting thing don't usually count calories. I have been eating anything that I really desire and counting calories for curiosity's sake and find that I'm under 1200!! Now that is just amazing to me. I've lost 4.5 pounds since I started a week ago (although I bounced up today 1 pound from a very salty meal last night). Right now it's 8:00 am and I finished my dinner at 6:30pm last night. I have a little bit of stomach growl. I really think this is "clock" hunger because it leaves pretty quickly. I'm going to finish my coffee, brush my teeth and get my water bottle. I'll have my break fast, which by choice has not included any traditional breakfast foods at 1:30/2:00 pm when I get home from work and shopping. So far it's doable and working. My challenge is making certain that what I eat during the 5 hours is well balanced ... which is why I'm going shopping today.

Allie ... I'm not real familiar with keto diets, but I have done very high protein/fat diets in the past and lost a ton of weight. Also elevated my cholesterol to dangerous levels ... cheese was the problem. I think that no matter what diet or plan we choose, balance is still a needed element.

Bonnie and NYKaren ... I had an especially hard time seeing my son leave yesterday. It did not help that his dog was clearly confused by his empty room and kept going back and forth from his room to the front door. Pitiful and had me near tears. It took me about 5-6 hours until that "mourning" feeling left. Helped to clean his room and the bathroom!! Yuck! What a mess! Don't miss that! LOL!

Beth near Buffalo

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Lanette my word for the year is HOPE. I laid the groundwork for change in 2018 now it time to HOPE these changes make a positive difference.

Reading books like Fat Chance and Why We Get Fat have helped me stay on my lower sugar, high fiber diet. It is not the keto diet because for me it a balance of good fats, protein, and high fiber carbs. I eat too many high fiber carbs ( I do not restrict and fruits and veggies) for it to be considered keto. I do try to stay away from refined grains, and foods with added sugar. The exception I make is for a moderate consumption of Kombucha.

Both books cover what we eat is as important or in some cases more important than the calorie count. How our our hormones (insulin being one of them and cortisol being another one) influence storing food as fat and where that fat is stored. Excess insulin promotes fat storage. The cortisol causes storage around our middles.

Foods that spike the insulin response actually makes you hungrier. Hence when you eat the banana breads, cookies, cakes they make you hungrier in the long run.

My problem is the cortisol. That is spiked by too much stress and how I react to the stress. My weight is down for me but my waist is still larger than I like. I do find listening to websites with 528 hz tonal sounds soothing. I am going to try like Meg to do something for myself everyday. I also plan to incorporate exercise and singing into my day because both help to bring down the cortisol levels.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Morning, I have shared my SIL's thoughts on losing her mother in the spoiler below. I couldn't believe how beautifully she expressed the loss. Services are this Wednesday. :'(:'(<3
    One of the benefits hospice affords is the opportunity to process the impending death of the patient. When I was talking with a hospice volunteer last week she said that having time in advance to understand that someone is dying makes it easier for loved ones to process grief. She explained that when people die suddenly it is much harder for those remaining.

Well, I'm not sure it works like that after all. I sat with my mom, holding her hand, Thursday evening and watched her take her last breaths. When she did, it didn't seem real; even though we had been in hospice for 10 days by that time. And as I've gone thru the past day-and-a-half, making final arrangements and notifying all who have to be notified, I'm stunned, which is the word I've been trying to find and just did. Stunned, as if I was blind-sided by what occurred. Stunned, as if I there was no warning.

Perhaps no matter how long you "know" that someone may not be with you much longer, the actual "leaving" is a whole-nother story. The realization that the place they held is now empty, the spot they filled is now blank, the energy they afforded is evaporated, gone and never to return. That realization cannot be experienced or felt or planned for; it becomes a new hollow norm so immediate it is shocking.

Before you get alarmed, know that I am alright and that all of us who might be sad about this loss will be alright. In my mind I equate the dying of an "elder" like my mom in a family like the uprooting of a tree. You don't expect the strong, old, keeper-of-the-forest to go down, and when it does, it tears the earth up with it. There is upset, and roots are exposed, and the dirt that used to lie peacefully around it, is churned up. The tree lying on its side is traumatic to look at and doesn't seem right and shouldn't be like that. But ultimately time settles things, the tree changes into nurturing material for the living things around it, and soon it is returned gently into its surroundings.

So, that's my experience, of losing my mom, after all that came before. It shows that tall trees do not land softly, even if you see them blowing in the storm. They have stood for years, defined the landscape around them, and when they fall they definitely make a sound that is heard in the hearts of the people that knew them.

Karen in NY - how very eloquent. Thank you for sharing this. <3<3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ladies, I just ran across some info on vegetarian Keto = Ketotarian: https://drwillcole.com/ketotarian/

Some info from another source: Meet the ketotarian diet. Healthy, plant-based fats are found in foods like coconuts, avocados, olives, and nuts. In terms of protein, seeds and nuts provide a great source of protein without the problems of soy (like hormone disruption) and legumes (like gut-irritating lectins ), and carbs are found in low-carb, yet nutrient-dense, vegetables like dark leafy greens.

I hadn't heard of this before and it actually looks appealing to me as that's how I like too eat anyhow, but I add beans and a little meat. I'm not trying to do Keto but if I was, I'd consider this.

Lanette
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, My word for the year is "pause". I got the idea from my desire to live life more intentionally. Pausing before taking action will allow me to live more intentionally....and keep my foot out of my mouth.

:)Bianca, The more I exercise, the more calories I consume. 1200 is a baseline number for someone who sits all day. I walk my dogs for about two hours every day, go to dance classes, and ride my exercise bike in the afternoons and evenings. I eat more when I exercise more. I am also careful about what I eat. I try to get the most nutrition and volume for the fewest calories so I won't be so hungry. Five small meals a day is what works for me.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Thank you Karen. I think it is a privilege to feel like that about your parents. Wonderful. <3

This morning I did dome writing! Hooray! I suddenly realised that one of the reasons I have been finding it so hard to get started recently is that my normal 'triggers' for my routine have been absent. The tv schedules have been all mixed up and my favourite morning programmes, my 'companions' have been off air. Today they started again. :drinker: What a relief! And what a lesson on how much we rely on habit and routine to get us underway. As Barbie says, "Strategy is stronger than willpower". Once I could have my usual programmes burbling away in the background I settled down happily to 500 words. Admittedly, I was writing an easy bit about washing machines. :laugh:

The carpet fitters are here. They are going to try to get the huge dresser out of the garage and into the room where the new carpet is for some extra cash. :D DH has cleared a path. The "handyman" came this morning to put the tv on the wall bracket. A good job well done, so he is also going to repair the shed, which will be cheaper than buying a new one. What a great idea for a company. Apparently they get loads of business! Lots of busy people in Brighton.

We are off to see the grandkids once the dresser is in place. Probably catch the bus and walk for extra calories. I have already been shopping, pulling my trolley. Can't wait to see them. (Sorry Katla)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    CJ - oh, so sorry! <3:'(

Update on the dresser. Oh wow! Talk about a struggle! Sooooooo heavy and a difficult turn in the stairs. They really sweated!
    DH hadn't put enough tape on the glass doors so one of them swung and broke. Shame, as it's the original Victorian glass. But we can get it repaired with new glass.
    Just going to take a pic.
    zerlrx7as1kr.jpg

:D
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    @suebdew I have followed the keto diet for the most part for over 2 years. There are countless versions of keto. I have purchased several keto cookbooks, but the only recipes I have used over and over are from the 3 books by Kristie Honeycutt Sullivan, Phd. Her 2nd book “Keto Living Day by Day” is a good guide to getting started with keto with 4 weeks of meal plans. Her recipes are very low carb and the meal plans are for 20 total carbs a day with no more than 7 carbs per meal.

She has a website: https://cookingketowithkristie.com/ as well as a you tube channel of the same name where she shares many of her recipes and cooking demos. There is also a private Facebook page where members share their success stories, not just with weight loss but improved health. She is also a contributor to the diet doctor website (www.dietdoctor.com) which is another good resource for information and meal plans.

This is a you tube video that she posted in 2015 where she shares her story. I find it very inspirational.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbFOoykP5s

The keto diet is not high protein, it is moderate protein. Also, cholesterol levels may increase initially but should improve and level off after 6 months on this way of eating.

As Allie said the keto diet helps to eliminate cravings and decreases hunger. You eat when you’re hungry and stop eating when you are satiated. If you’re hungry you are doing it wrong.

Allie, you are doing great. The weight loss is higher initially because of water loss. It will level out.

Kelly - Joaquin is adorable. I can sympathize about the haircut, my daughter had my grandson’s hair buzzed off when he was 2 or 3. My brother asked her why she gave him a serial killer haircut. There are several locations of Cool Cuts 4 Kids where they do a great job of cutting kids hair. The seats are cars and the kids can watch videos while they get a haircut.

Cathy in Arlington, TX
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to all!!

I’m only partway through the 25 pages of posts for this month – I’ll go back and catch up later – but I wanted to get my goals posted for the month so I would have some accountability. I backslid a bit over the holidays and regained the 3 pounds I had lost during the first part of December. I’m just glad it wasn’t more than that. So for January I plan to re-lose those 3 pounds, go back to logging every day and keep up with the exercising.

I’ve never heard of a “word of the year” but am intrigued by the concept. I think my word is going to be organized. Looking back over 2018, I spent a lot of time winging it and just “making it work”. Some of that was due to life throwing curveballs (unexpected car repairs/illnesses/etc) but a lot of it was also just me not planning well enough. I’ve already started by working out a basic budget for the year, including saving for the 2 trips I know we’ll be taking. I know it’ll get tweaked as the year goes on, but this way I have an idea where the tight spots will be and can plan for them.

I also want to get my eating more planned out – meal plans for the week, finding some new healthier recipes, etc, so I don’t have to try to come up with something every night when I get home from work.

I’ve also created a 19 in 2019 (thanks to whoever posted this earlier – sorry, I can’t remember who it was) - a list of things I would like to do in 2019 and some that need to get done in 2019. Having them written out allows for me to plan ahead for getting them done, especially those that I’ll need to work into the budget.
    Here’s to a good 2019 for everyone!

Janet in eastern MO
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    :'( Roads were icy this morning. My walking friend couldn't get off her porch because of the ice. I walked with the dogs very carefully as it got icier the longer we walked and finally came home super early. Came home to fire in the fireplace and Jake and Bessie back in bed asleep.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Morning, I have shared my SIL's thoughts on losing her mother in the spoiler below. I couldn't believe how beautifully she expressed the loss. Services are this Wednesday. :'(:'(<3
    One of the benefits hospice affords is the opportunity to process the impending death of the patient. When I was talking with a hospice volunteer last week she said that having time in advance to understand that someone is dying makes it easier for loved ones to process grief. She explained that when people die suddenly it is much harder for those remaining.

Well, I'm not sure it works like that after all. I sat with my mom, holding her hand, Thursday evening and watched her take her last breaths. When she did, it didn't seem real; even though we had been in hospice for 10 days by that time. And as I've gone thru the past day-and-a-half, making final arrangements and notifying all who have to be notified, I'm stunned, which is the word I've been trying to find and just did. Stunned, as if I was blind-sided by what occurred. Stunned, as if I there was no warning.

Perhaps no matter how long you "know" that someone may not be with you much longer, the actual "leaving" is a whole-nother story. The realization that the place they held is now empty, the spot they filled is now blank, the energy they afforded is evaporated, gone and never to return. That realization cannot be experienced or felt or planned for; it becomes a new hollow norm so immediate it is shocking.

Before you get alarmed, know that I am alright and that all of us who might be sad about this loss will be alright. In my mind I equate the dying of an "elder" like my mom in a family like the uprooting of a tree. You don't expect the strong, old, keeper-of-the-forest to go down, and when it does, it tears the earth up with it. There is upset, and roots are exposed, and the dirt that used to lie peacefully around it, is churned up. The tree lying on its side is traumatic to look at and doesn't seem right and shouldn't be like that. But ultimately time settles things, the tree changes into nurturing material for the living things around it, and soon it is returned gently into its surroundings.

So, that's my experience, of losing my mom, after all that came before. It shows that tall trees do not land softly, even if you see them blowing in the storm. They have stood for years, defined the landscape around them, and when they fall they definitely make a sound that is heard in the hearts of the people that knew them.

Absolutely beautifully written.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Quick drive by posting, no time to read much this morning! It is official wi day and I am down 2.2 lbs! This is week one, so I know I won't maintain that rate of loss, but this does encourage me to keep at it. Also, the chocolate is all gone now, so it won't be calling my name anymore! I may still crave, but I will just have to train myself to go brush my teeth instead. Most of the bad cravings come if I'm bored in the afternoon or tired in the evening. I plan on making a list of stuff to do for the boredom end and have to start going to bed when I get tired! Simple right? Just need to do it now! lol
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Heather - My Dad’s was a handyman. His full time job when we were growing up was an electrician, but he was also licensed as a carpenter and could do plumbing. My Mom never worked and Dad made extra money in evenings and Saturday’s by sound odd jobs for others. He never charged enough and probably spent more in gas getting to some places than he earned. When he passed we were bombarded with people telling their stories of what Dad fixed in their homes. I would do anything to hear all those stories again.
    Beautiful dresser.

Well my daughter and her maid of honour are sending out thoughts and reminders about things that need to be done for the wedding. 7 months yesterday. That time will fly by! I really hope to find a well paying job fast. There will be a lot of expenses coming up.

I don’t have a lot to add, but have been following the Keto conversation. A friend of mine started this last year and has since done a modified version as her doctor was concerned about her husband’s heart. His brother had been doing it for about 8 weeks when he had a heart attack. The history of heart disease in the family makes it an unhealthy choice for them. I personally find when I am more conscious of the amount of carbs I eat, I feel better. Less bloated and less water weight.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    My company is gone and I am “knackered”. I have never seen people eat so much so fast! Lots of laundry to do but it can wait until tomorrow.
    Today at church our Associate Minister gave the sermon on a reset of New Years. She was sick and didn’t get to reflect back, make new goals etc. so she did a countdown and we started over. Perfect for me as I have been too busy cooking and doing dishes to think, literally.
    SueBDew in TX

I love this. I decided to restart my year last Saturday :) The previous few days had been difficult emotionally and financially with my puppy being sick and undiagnosed until Thursday. My New Year has been fabulous!

Elizabeth GA