WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Tracey--Everything lives on the internet. I had never heard of Stacy's Country Jamboree, so I looked it up. First listing was that song you remembered. http://wblm.com/staceys-country-jamboree-jennie-shontell-sings-on-the-wings-of-a-dove/

Penny--That bit of sunlight is like a spark of hope. I could take the dark, but that wind--100 mph is about a category two hurricane strength! Stay safe.

Our plants have been tricked by the last week of warm temperatures. I saw roses blooming in someone's landscaping, and I've got daffodils coming up. My in-laws are leaving before dawn tomorrow, heading to Chicago and Ohio. We don't know when they'll be coming back, but I don't think they'll want to be there after the next cold snap.

For some reason my MFP isn't working. It won't let me add food to my journal, so I don't have an accurate total of my calories for today. I could do it on paper, but I'd rather wait and log it.

Cari in N. Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Penny, I love the picture of the first light where you are. I am farther south but we appreciate the light as the days get longer. I am out early in the morning and the sunrise has stayed the same for the last two weeks and finally is one minute earlier. January is always a month of hope for me as the morning daylight increases.

:) The crocus bulbs that I planted in the fall are just starting to push up through the dirt. Even in the dark of winter, there is a preview of spring.

:) My morning routine is wake up before 5 AM, potty, brush teeth, dress in warm clothes, walk dogs for 20-40 minutes, read spiritual morning reading, eat breakfast (same thing every morning), walk dogs again for 80-120 minutes, shower and dress for the day. The only time the routine changes is if I have to be somewhere extra early in the morning, then I set an alarm and get up earlier so there's time for everything.

<3 Barbie from beautiful windy, drizzly NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Pip Does Yogi have a booboo on his snout?

That was paint when he was trying to help
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Pip Aha!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) The way I eat and stay active is pretty automatic for me now, but when I first started on MFP, I had to pay much more attention to the decisions I made. That was when I decided that getting healthy was the most important thing in my life. That decision made it possible for me to decline foods that were offered to me. On my first day, I went to a day long meeting. When I got in my friend's car to go, she offered me a bagel and cream cheese that she'd gotten at the coffee shop and I said "no thank you". I brought my own lunch to the meeting and didn't sample the homemade soups and breads that were offered. I ate the dinner I had planned at home and refused a "taste" of what my husband had made for himself. Later that month I decided that I could resign from my positions as the greatest knitter and greatest chocolate chip cookie baker in the world. Instead I would walk more and knit less, and not bake as recreation. I meet my friends for a walk not a meal. I watch TV while riding my exercise bike and listen to podcasts and audio books while walking. Lots of small decisions can add up to a lifestyle that promotes losing weight and staying healthy.

:) Breakfast is finished. I love sharing my breakfast time with all of you. Now the dogs are waiting to go for their second walk of the day. We love our routine.

<3 Barbie from beautiful chilly NW WA

I had to give up baking too. I don't like cooking, but I love baking ... unfortunately baking does me no good at all. That said, I will likely make chocolate lava cakes for my birthday in March. :)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    We are 50.82 latitude. We are noticing a big increase in daylight length in the evening. Apparently it increases twice as fast in the evening than at dawn. :D We have daffodils in bud in the front garden, but some people have roses out! Geraniums still blooming! We have a small palm tree in our front garden and another big one in our neighbour's back garden that fills our view from our bedroom window.
    The sea keeps the area warmer and the Gulf Stream. It has been a mild winter so far. But it is promising a colder snap. Could turn chilly any time. Today was gorgeous.
    I love this time of year for its promise. The shops start to fill with bunches of daffodils. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2019
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I’m not sure how well I would do at a higher latitude. I have a houseful of very bright lights during the winter and wonderful long evenings during the summer. The bright lighting in our home is very helpful during winter months. :bigsmile:
    Katla dah-ling There's no telling how well you would do. I didn't know myself how I would react to real polar night, even though I'd lived way far north of the Arctic Circle for years before I moved there. I never could have guessed how much I would love it!
    :heart: :love: :heart:

After choir practice yesterday, a friend asked if I wanted a lift home. I said no thanks, explaining that I wanted to walk through the veils of drifting snow. She understood right away. "Oh, that's such a delight!" :flowerforyou:
    We're an odd bunch. ;)
    /Penny, already missing the t07190.gif
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    New favorite word I've learned from Heather: squidgy is it too late to make it my word for the year? I don't even know what it means, but it makes me happy just saying squidgy

NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    evening ,afternoon and morning wherever you are on the planet...
    took a little bit of a nap today and feel better will go up around 7 and get Kitty ready for bed... then working 10-6 tomorrow
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    <3<3<3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    fe38h92uuz4r.jpg

From the base, with the warning sign. Lol
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did the Reebok Cardio Tone DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Step by Step Hi-Lo Cardio & Abs core DVD.

We have a Newcomer general meeting tomorrow. After this one, only one more to go!!!

Slept last night with Shadow. I was gone almost all day (exercise, bowling, ceramics, mahjongg) so I thought I’d better give her a little time, plus I could use a little “Shadow time”

KJ – I never thought of it, but you do have to coordinate your appointments with when people can pick up/drop off the kiddoes. Is there something special you do if the parent doesn’t pick the child up at a time you need them to? The only thing I can think of is that you cancel your appointment. Then again, lots of MD’s require you cancel 24 hrs in advance or incur a financial penalty

Allie – good for you looking for something else!

Leslie – I’m so sorry to hear about your mother. We all can certainly understand the stress you were under. Welcome! This is a very supportive group

Micheller - I got your invitation to join the challenge. Only thing is, I can’t figure out for the life of me what the challenge is about. This has happened to me before so I’ve just never joined since I don’t know if it’s something that I’m even interested in. What’s it about? Looks like you can only do it on your phone

Pip – just look at those eyes!

Cari – so sorry about your MIL’s brother. I hate when I ruin a piece of clothing that I especially like

Okie – I’m so sorry about your brother and your best friend’s mom. I don’t like hearing things like this

Made Vince an amaretto cake. He likes amaretto. Then made some black bean brownies for me to have for Rummikub next Tuesday (I’ll just keep them in the freezer) Update: they aren't sweet so maybe I'll take them to mahjongg. I know the husband of the gal whose house we play at doesn't like sweet things, so maybe he'll like them enough. Guess I'll make a banana chocolate cake or maybe a pineapple angel food cake. Or maybe both

Penny – breathtaking!

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Last call for some DVD's that I have. I only ask for the shipping, which in the US is about $3. Just PM me. Most of these are for someone just starting out. I need room for more DVD's...lol

Extreme Makeover the Workout Weight Loss Edition
    Transform your Body with Brooke Burke
    Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting
    Pilates Intermediate
    Gold's Gym Muffin Top Meltdown

Michele in NC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Happy National Bubble Bath Day!

"On a cold winters day, relaxing in a nice warm/hot bubble bath sounds like the perfect way to commemorate National Bubble Bath Day, which is celebrated annually on January 8th." Can't wait to get my clawfoot tub resurfaced and installed so I can soak! Here is something I didn't know: "The bubbles on top of the water ... insulate the bathwater, keeping it warmer for a longer period of time."

Karen - Your stepdaughter looks like a fun mom!

Rebecca - Thank you for the grasshopper (cricket?) photo. I'd totally wear that!

Bonnie - Oh, I'm so sorry Ollie's adoption didn't work out. It's hard on everybody when that happens.

Allie - Augh, that's a whopping bill! Hope your attorney can get it straightened out for less than $2300.

Kylia - How wonderful of his company to give Aubrey's dad time off to be with her! Wish all companies could do that.

Machka - "It doesn't suddenly drop 25 calories just because someone would like it to be 25 calories less." Too bad, isn't it? It would be a different world if we could just wish changes like that!

Viv - We enjoyed Mary Poppins Returns too. I thought they retained a lot of the magic of the Mary Poppins movie while actually making Mary a little closer to how she was in the books.

Leslie - Welcome! We are neighbors, relatively speaking! My dad's river house is in Fischer and we sometimes use it as home base for expeditions that take us through Boerne and surrounds.

Cari - What a shame about your new top! It's so easy for a bleach accident to happen.

Another late entry today, so I had a lot of catching up to do. This is one reason I have a hard time with the 10,000 steps per day goal. I don't go to an office so I don't walk to and from a parking lot, I don't walk to lunch, there are no stairs to take. On top of that, I live in a very small town where the streets are in bad condition and not well lit and there are very few sidewalks. That means that on busy work days - especially in winter - it's not really feasible for me to get in that many steps. I'm in the process of negotiating an alternate workout goal with my Noom coach for days when I just can't get the steps in.

-Yvonne in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Heather, wow, I didn't realize that you were farther north than I am. We are at 48 degrees. Our weather is colder than yours in the winter.
  • ljhendrickson63
    ljhendrickson63 Posts: 4 Member
    Pip - Yogi is so cute! Those eyes make you melt!!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)