What do you own/not own that makes you different?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Among my riding buddies, I am the only one that rides a Yamaha. They are all die-hard Harley owners.

q9oyp60yqgxf.png
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't own an air conditioner. Our apartment building was built in the 1920s and I think it's made of concrete or brick, so it stays fairly cool in a heatwave (90+ degrees) with fans as long as the heatwave doesn't last for several days.

I also don't own a dishwasher because like the air conditioner, my apartment didn't come with one. I didn't have one growing up so I don't really know how to use one anyway.

I'm 27 and don't own a driver's license, for a variety of reasons. Once upon a time I wanted to get my license but my mom was overbearing/abusive and wouldn't let me get it in high school or college. I now live in an area which is famous for its terrible drivers and they scared me off, plus my anxiety got worse in the last few years. I think I have too much anxiety now to drive. I can't imagine driving on the highway. My area has decent public transportation and is moderately walkable and has Uber/Lyft, and my husband drives, so between those I can get places. I have a Versacart for carrying the groceries and laundry. I try to be eco-friendly so I would feel bad about driving anyway. I think a lot of people are addicted to their cars and car culture in America contributes to a lot of social ills, such as obesity and the fragmentation of communities.

I don't own jeans. I don't know why people say they are comfortable because they really aren't. They're stiff, the zipper chafes, it's impossible to find a pair that fits properly, and even if you do they stretch out over the course of the day and then become baggy which I can't stand. I tried wearing them again this year and I ended up giving them away because I felt gross in them. Instead I wear dresses with leggings and the only pants I like are fitted ones like ponte pants. My clothing rule is if I can take a nap in it, I won't get annoyed with wearing it out and about all day. I can't take a nap in jeans but I'm wearing a vintage 80s floral cotton dress right now and I definitely can take a nap in that.

I also didn't own a smartphone until summer 2016 and the only reason why I got one is because I needed it for work. Now I also use it for Lyft as mentioned above but if it wasn't for those things I would give it away and go back to a flip phone.
    I shave with straight razors which is still uncommon though becoming more common again. I'll take a picture of the ones I have at home and post them tonight.

I use a double-edged razor with replaceable blades and a shaving brush to make lather from bar soap. It saves so much money and waste. I bought 50 blades online in summer 2017 for $12.50 and I think I still have more than half of them left, whereas back when I used disposable razors they would rust so easily and I would have to throw them out after two or three uses. Plus they came in those awful and unnecessary plastic clamshells.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I still have 500 shares of Commodore Stock , I used to have a 1000 shares but I used 1/2 for toilet paper !
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A large collection of peacock feathers
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Among my riding buddies, I am the only one that rides a Yamaha. They are all die-hard Harley owners.

q9oyp60yqgxf.png

That is a nice ride! What year?
    It's a bucket list item of mine to get a burgundy Rune one day.
    Safe journey brother!
  • jazzyayr
    jazzyayr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a 18.1h Shire
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Currently I don't own a sealed high quality tube of mascara which doesn't clump, which is a real bummer.

When mascara gets clumpy, make sure the top is screwed on tight then put it in the sink in hot water for a few minutes.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have a Yak butter lamp that I bought in Nepal in the late 70's. My problem is that I can't find any Yak butter.