Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Never been harrassed at the Gym or anywhere else for that matter.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Let's unpack this, you suggest that someone shouldn't feel something.

Okay, so if someone said you shouldn't feel threatened when the bad man looks at you, are you okay with that?

I just want to know the standard. Who gets to decide what someone should or shouldn't feel?
    Is it not okay for men to tell women what they should or shouldn't feel "Come on, smile for me..."

But it's okay for women to tell men what they should or shouldn't feel, "You shouldn't feel painted..."

You see, from my perspective, those are exactly the same thing. The words are different, but the pattern is the same. Someone projecting upon another what they should really be feeling. Invalidating what they are feeling or experiencing and replacing it with what the speaker has decided they should feel.

So what's the standard here?

May I request that it be consistent and evenly applied?

Or is that not allowed?
    RGv2 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Females cant go anywhere anymore without guys bothering them in some way it’s pretty pathetic, not even driving in your own car. Harassing you with their eyeballs and speeding up next to you.

Just throwing it out there.....but if it's in traffic, are you sure it isn't just your driving?

Nothing wrong with my driving I know the difference between someone being annoyed vs someone with a cocky smirk on their face telling me to roll my window down. Thanks.

Eh...none of us think anything is wrong with our driving. I've seen people try to get others to roll their window down just to tell them about their driving skills. Just food for thought ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Thanks.

Cool but don’t try to tell me what the situation might’ve been when you weren’t there, I was you weren’t but keep making assumptions about me and my driving because you know me to make those assumptions. Have a great day!

Then I wouldn't be making assumptions about other people, their intentions, motives or painting a gender with such a broad brush either. ;)

She didn't say all guys. It doesn't take 100% of guys being jerks who think they're entitled to have women pay attention to them, smile at them, talk to them, and let them touch them for those kinds of experiences to pervade women's lives. You shouldn't feel painted by the brush unless you identify with that behavior.

Or that what is not allowed?
This discussion has been closed.