Is this guy just super friendly or is he asking me out?

Options

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Worse than an episode of Eastenders
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Get married already!!
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Okay.... Update:
    So Friday, it was just me, "Pete", and my chinese friend and her husband. (Only continuing to call her "chinese" friend for consistency-- he went to China and wanted to chat with someone from China)

So... I didn't feel like the dinner was in anyway about me and him, really. He talked about his trip to China and showed us some pictures. Pete is also Asian and so a lot of the conversation was about the cultural differences Asians face coming to the US. It was fun, lighthearted and serious at some points.... but never romantic.

There wasn't even a moment of sparkly eyes between us or a time where we reached for the same spring roll and accidentally had a moment. No spark... nothing... just a guy and a girl hanging out with a husband and a wife.

I left feeling more friendly towards him than romantic. I'm wondering now if I didn't build up my feelings for him while he was away, only to be met with reality when we were together. We were definitely friends and laughing it up.... but... no real moments. And no follow up call or anything like that.

I did finally tell him that I hate big crowds and he was like "Hey, thats why you never come to anything I invite you to!" So.... I'll update if anything more comes about. But for now it seems pretty fizzled--- if there ever was anything to be fizzled in the first place.

so....

the elaborate destination wedding is now on 'hold'.

dang.

We can always start planning one for her anyways - it's never too early to start, right??

@breefoshee I hope you find your someone whether "Pete" or otherwise

@HappilyDistracted

I like it!

... any destinations in mind ?

Somewhere tropical and fancy?
    I hear the Carribbeans are nice.

Somalia has beaches too.

.... just sayin'

Perfect. You go scope it out first and come back and let me know how it was.
  • anil99
    anil99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Read this whole thread. Boy-o-boy, I feel for you being a fellow procrastinator. I’m also completely useless at knowing if, in my case, whether a girls likes me likes me 😪

Guess you first have to decide if you like Pete more than just friends. That decided:
    - if you want more, tell him. Flirt with him ‘like on a date’ next time he asks you to go somewhere. He’s Asian so traditionally he probably finds it hard to break the ice on that. It’s just cultural.
    - if you don’t like him more than friends, stick with what you have. But one never knows what the future holds. Friends often make the best life partners

As for things fizzling out ... he asking you and sometimes you saying ‘no’ without him knowing why, he was probably confused and got disheartened. At least that’s sorted out now but you may well be better off making the first move. Some guys are just very shy or no hope in heck knowing when someone likes them!

Good luck - hope you find love.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Okay so... humor me for a little while...This is "reading into things" and "overthinking at it's finest and ultimately, only time will tell what this guy is thinking. But what else do you have to do today?

About 5 Months ago I meet... let's call him Pete. At the time, I had just moved home and was seeing someone... so Pete and I were really just instant friends. We like all the same shows, my really good friend is married to his really good friend, and he was just an easy conversation. If there was a get together at our friend's house, we would both go and end up being the last ones to leave.

I had zero romantic interest on my end and really just thought he was a cool guy. He liked another girl and so we all would just talk about our prospective relationships, what we should do, and give each other advice. So... no real reason to think that he was interested.... and I wasn't either.

So couple months after we met, I stopped seeing the other guy and Pete started messaging me. No big deal at first.... just a few messages a week about a show I had recommended or something random. He started inviting me to different social events he was attending-- but it was vague. It wasn't like "I want you as my date to such and such place"... more like "I'm going to this super fun event and you, also, should attend!"

We continued seeing each other weekly at our mutual friends house. I told him that I had a friend from China and he happened to be going there... so he asked if we could all meet up for coffee so he could ask her some questions.

He started calling me to arrange this meeting. So we went and it was great... just him and I with her and her husband. Then after meeting for coffee he called to discuss how it went... but each time our conversation lasted a little longer.. 1-2 hours. Late at night. So.. fine... I mean... I talk to my girl friends for hours all the time. It doesn't have to mean anything. AND-- he sometimes calls me "dude" which to me says "friendzone!"

Still, he invites me to thing after thing-- I've only gone to 2 because BIG groups of people I don't know are overwhelming to me and I don't want to smoother him the whole time because he would be the only person I know.

But I can't tell if this is all just him being super friendly or if he is hitting on me or hoping for this to go somewhere!

So the last thing: about 2 weeks ago he left for China. The day before he left, he asked if I would watch his plants for him. So... of course, I did... I went over to his house to get the plants and he ends up asking me to look at all these paintings he painted. We end up hanging out for a good 2 hours, chatting about pretty deep things. I take the plants and he goes to China.

He came back on Sunday and I still have his plants. So we texted a little when he first got back then he calls last night to ask if I wanted to go to a social event with him. Again, I say "no" because I can't tell if it's supposed to be a date or if it's a "come and meet the whole world" type of thing... which just isn't my picnic.

Then he says "Oh um... okay." and sounds kind of dissappointed... then he says "Well, let's hang out this weekend." But because I'm the most awkward person alive... I.... pause... because I don't want to say "yes" and it just be another big social event. And in the middle of my pause, he says " I mean.. you don't have to.. it's okay. " Then I just ramble on about my weekend plans and the fact that I have nothing going on... and sure I'd like to hang out. So he says "Okay cool! I'll ask around and see what everyone is doing."

So. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and I haven't been very successful at the whole "guys as best friends" thing. But would you be reading into this? What do you think? Just a friend or wanting more? I actually can't say whether or not I even like him as more than a friend... I'm just trying to gauge the situation so that I know what my actions should be. UGH helpppp, myfitnesspall!

Ummm...that's a ton of convolution for something as simple as being able to tell if someone it interested in you. In my opinion, if there is that much backstory to figure it out, find someone else.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update! :)

tumblr_ly8hnaJdRK1qatx8uo2_500.gif
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    Thanks for the update! :)

tumblr_ly8hnaJdRK1qatx8uo2_500.gif

:D:D:D
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    so which guy is NEXT on your check list?

Tell us about him!

I have this guy.... he accidentally made eye contact with me once.... When I stared back into his eyes.... he acted like he woke from up from a trance. Then he said the most *possibly* romantic thing... "Oh sorry, I spaced out." Then he quickly walked away.

Does that mean he was so enamored with me that he was daydreaming of our future children... or was he actuallly spaced out? Did he run away quickly because he was so afraid of his love for me that he couldn't handle it? HALP guys!

Nope, he was thinking about lunch and spaced out. He was probably embarrassed and left or he was in a hurry to get lunch.

Next mystery.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Tell us about him!

I have this guy.... he accidentally made eye contact with me once.... When I stared back into his eyes.... he acted like he woke from up from a trance. Then he said the most *possibly* romantic thing... "Oh sorry, I spaced out." Then he quickly walked away.

Does that mean he was so enamored with me that he was daydreaming of our future children... or was he actuallly spaced out? Did he run away quickly because he was so afraid of his love for me that he couldn't handle it? HALP guys!

Spaced out. I do that too, lol.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Tell us about him!

Nope, he was thinking about lunch and spaced out. He was probably embarrassed and left or he was in a hurry to get lunch.

Next mystery.

But you didn't hear HOW he said it. He practically whispered it... which maybe means he was hoping I would get a little closer so I could hear him.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Tell us about him!

RIGHT?! "spaced out" pffft. He might as well put a ring on my finger with lines like that.
  • breefoshee
    Options

Tell us about him!

RIGHT?! "spaced out" pffft. He might as well put a ring on my finger with lines like that.

What's funny to me is that your obvious sarcasm here doesn't sound much different than your original sincere question. You're good at sarcasm!

The signals were actually unclear though. Even you thought he was 100% interested....but nope. He's just a friendly guy.
  • breefoshee
    Options

Tell us about him!

What's funny to me is that your obvious sarcasm here doesn't sound much different than your original sincere question. You're good at sarcasm!

The signals were actually unclear though. Even you thought he was 100% interested....but nope. He's just a friendly guy.

Oh yeah.. and who's being sarcastic? This second guy is definitely in love with me!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just read this whole thread. Not very carefully though. It reminds me of my sister making me watch a movie about He’s not into you or something like that. The idea is that if a man is interested in a woman he will make it clear. Idk if that’s always true but it saves so much angst just going with that. I’m not interested in being the pursuer ever again, so it’s helpful to me

HI DO YOU WANT TO BE FRIENDS?

[ ] YES
    [ ] NO
  • breefoshee
    Options
    I just read this whole thread. Not very carefully though. It reminds me of my sister making me watch a movie about He’s not into you or something like that. The idea is that if a man is interested in a woman he will make it clear. Idk if that’s always true but it saves so much angst just going with that. I’m not interested in being the pursuer ever again, so it’s helpful to me

Same! I generally follow this rule... but this one got murky. But... was still true in the end.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

HI DO YOU WANT TO BE FRIENDS?

[ ] YES
    [ ] NO

Sure Swanny

But...the yes/no boxes remain unchecked...