Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,358 Member
    @elenecoxcox75 I am so jealous of your travels. The Autry museum had a route 66 display and the history of it is fascinating. And the little town in NV? that the burros walk down into. Adding the drive to my list.
    @amieslas68 So you've lost 60 and kept off the 50? That is cause for celebration!! You go!

Getting more in the flow as the week progressed; eating less and healthier each day. My workout as well. Will carry a water bottle tomorrow and stay away from the table with doughnuts.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
    Can I join in? I'll be 50 in September :)
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    It has been 2 weeks since I started back working on losing weight. I have lost 5.1 pounds. I know that a big chunk of that is due to water weight loss and just less food in my digestive track. But I am really encouraged by this loss, and my clothes are feeling a little less tight already.
    I have learned, over the last couple years, that I must be very focused to lose weight. I know that some people find losing weight very slowly, while still enjoying food and eating works better for them because they aren't tempted to binge or cheat.
    I am the opposite, if I allow myself extra snacks, I will slowly nibble my way out of a calorie deficit. If I am focused, I am not tempted to binge or cheat, and watching my weight decrease is satisfying enough.
    5 down, 15 to go! We can do this!
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    It has been 2 weeks since I started back working on losing weight. I have lost 5.1 pounds. I know that a big chunk of that is due to water weight loss and just less food in my digestive track. But I am really encouraged by this loss, and my clothes are feeling a little less tight already.
    I have learned, over the last couple years, that I must be very focused to lose weight. I know that some people find losing weight very slowly, while still enjoying food and eating works better for them because they aren't tempted to binge or cheat.
    I am the opposite, if I allow myself extra snacks, I will slowly nibble my way out of a calorie deficit. If I am focused, I am not tempted to binge or cheat, and watching my weight decrease is satisfying enough.
    5 down, 15 to go! We can do this!

Well said! I have to be so focused!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    @LuvHinesWard86 and @conklil, welcome to the group!
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    I have had two wins!

Yesterday I stopped and picked up Wendy’s for my daughter and I only ate ONE french fry.

Today a coworker put a chocolate cake donut on my desk while I was on the phone. Chocolate is my downfalll and currently I have a lot of pressure at work. That donut sat on my desk for two hours and I did not touch it. I finally picked it up and offered it to someone else. 🤦‍♀️

Has anyone purchased the premium account for MyFitnessPal?

If yes has it helped in your wellness/weight loss goals? What are the advantages?

Thanks!!!

That's awesome @Sparkle1098. I just got premium a few weeks ago. I like it a lot for $50 for the year I think its worth it. just seems easier to access things, more detailed if you are keeping track of macro's.
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    Great control Sparkle1098!!! That takes will power and strength!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Wow! I'm so impressed, @Sparkle1098! I couldn't have it sitting there that long. Good job on the french fry, too!
  • pkcsdh
    pkcsdh Posts: 9 Member
    Got my 10000+ steps in!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,358 Member
    @sparkle1098 Excellent Hand Bump to YOU!!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    poscur wrote: »
    Okay...Friday night. Have my Martini w. blue cheese stuffed olives tracked. omg can't wait! lol - determined to enjoy my weekend but track it and stay in the lines. I bumped up my calorie allowance for the weekend so I can enjoy but not go insane. expecting snow storm this weekend..that is alway a sit around the fire and snack all day kind of happening but i bought some good stuff for myself. I got this! Must get to the gym...was desk bound all week..hate that.

Ohhh that sounds good - never heard of blue cheese olives, but....

There is more to life than dieting and if you don't factor in some fun then everything will be unsustainable. Enjoy your carefully planned treats!
  • PartyPerson
    @sparkle1098 congrats - that's awesome self control.
  • PartyPerson
    pkcsdh wrote: »
    Got my 10000+ steps in!

That's harder than it sounds - great job!
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    Count me in please! Monday is my birthday and I will be 56. I need to lose 50 pounds that I have been carrying around since about 2007. My episodic migraines became chronic and I was very inactive for years. My medical team and I have FINALLY succeeded in gaining better control of them. I am SO READY to have my healthy life back! I am taking it slowly, and adding in better habits along the way. I’ve been back on MFP for about two weeks now, and am actually thrilled about it. I would love to give and receive support and encouragement!!

Playing question catch up:
    1- Where are you from? Be as specific or vague as you'd like.
    From south Florida – Atlantic coast, but have lived in Missouri since 1994.

2- What is one challenge that worries you this week?
    Planning meals that keep me within my calorie limit.

3-What is the hardest part of the day for you to stay healthy and why?
    Evenings after work. I’m tired and want to “treat” myself.

4-How do you stay on track?
    Planning my calories ahead of time and discovering non-food related activities which help me to relax!

5- What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle?
    My DH who loves to eat out and snack (and yes, he is fit). Not making time to exercise. Also getting hit with a bad migraine and struggling to get back to life. Over and over and over…

6- What are your favorite exercises?
    Swimming. Preferably in a crystal clear river! Since I don’t have one nearby, the pool at the Y is my game plan.

7- How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?
    I have not really gotten that far yet, but I have been giving myself “permission” to leave my office and take a walk during lunch instead of eating with my coworkers.

8- What are you worried about this week?
    Work. It is very stressful in general, and this week my best employee just told me he accepted another position. And I’m trying to get two journal articles published.

Thanks for starting this very supportive group and best wishes to all!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Count me in please! Monday is my birthday and I will be 56. I need to lose 50 pounds that I have been carrying around since about 2007. My episodic migraines became chronic and I was very inactive for years. My medical team and I have FINALLY succeeded in gaining better control of them. I am SO READY to have my healthy life back! I am taking it slowly, and adding in better habits along the way. I’ve been back on MFP for about two weeks now, and am actually thrilled about it. I would love to give and receive support and encouragement!!

Playing question catch up:
    1- Where are you from? Be as specific or vague as you'd like.
    From south Florida – Atlantic coast, but have lived in Missouri since 1994.

2- What is one challenge that worries you this week?
    Planning meals that keep me within my calorie limit.

3-What is the hardest part of the day for you to stay healthy and why?
    Evenings after work. I’m tired and want to “treat” myself.

4-How do you stay on track?
    Planning my calories ahead of time and discovering non-food related activities which help me to relax!

5- What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle?
    My DH who loves to eat out and snack (and yes, he is fit). Not making time to exercise. Also getting hit with a bad migraine and struggling to get back to life. Over and over and over…

6- What are your favorite exercises?
    Swimming. Preferably in a crystal clear river! Since I don’t have one nearby, the pool at the Y is my game plan.

7- How do you reward yourself for a good day, week or month? Other than food or drink?
    I have not really gotten that far yet, but I have been giving myself “permission” to leave my office and take a walk during lunch instead of eating with my coworkers.

8- What are you worried about this week?
    Work. It is very stressful in general, and this week my best employee just told me he accepted another position. And I’m trying to get two journal articles published.

Thanks for starting this very supportive group and best wishes to all!

Welcome!
  • PartyPerson
    New scales arrived....I need to lose a stone more than I thought dammit