WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka, I hope you find that you have not fractured your hip. I’m hoping you will be able to move comfortably without pain and heal quickly. ❤️😘
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,640 Member
    Machka~Oh dear I sure hope it is not a broken hip.. you are such a busy and healthy person that something like this that would sideline you would be difficult..I slept real well last night and think it was the lavender chamomile tea.. will have to do that more often..
    working today from 10-5 and will do my usual routine this morning..
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Machka, dear heart, I hope she is wrong! I had a collar bone that was broken dismissed as merely bruised, and dealt with that aftermath, because no X-ray was done. Hopefully she is overblowing the issue. You could use a break (and I don't mean a bone, but a respite) from bad news.

Good news on my side--next week Tuesday, I'll be first surgery of the day, at 7 a.m., which is always a good thing, fewer delays and a rested surgeon (one hopes). My husband, the workaholic, has decided to take the two days off with me and be there for me in the hospital--I'm mildly stunned about that. He's not really that guy, he shows his love in different ways than personal care, and it's nice to see him do this with no pressure from me, not even subtle pressure. And... the driving restriction is only for two weeks, when I expected it to be more like four to six weeks.

Unfortunately, my nickname for the physical therapist is in charge is "Old Yeller." She was four feet from me and yelling throughout the pre-op education class. Fairly sure she's not the in-home PT person, which is a good thing. Not fond of people who yell at me.

Corey built a fire for me before he left, as today is our most bitter cold day, and it's lovely. Going to go do my pre-op exercises in front of it.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,640 Member
    Today and tomorrow bitterly cold have to make sure the pipes dont freeze I dont have any on outside walls so I'm safe but darn it will have to turn up the heat...I can see the dollar signs whirling..oh well...
    Lisa will keep you in my prayers for a safe and successful surgery... going to go heat up the car.

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,578 Member
    Hello ladies!

Machka- I hope it isn't fractured! Prayers! I agree that you need some good news! Take care in the fires. Hugs!

Rebecca- Great job! I am down 2.9 lbs for January! I weigh in on Wednesdays. Considering I ate out last night, I was really excited that scale only moved .1 this morning!

Lisa- Great news on surgery. I always like to be close to first also! The exercises are important in recovery, but you already know that!

Walking around house this morning to get jump start on day. Have had to stop three times to pull hair from under my sweatshirt! It was tickling my belly!

Had a hard time getting my pyrenees to come back inside this morning! Can't get shepherd to even go outside! 0*
    Feels like -21. Brrrr!

Whether it is fire, heat, ice, or cold, please stay safe today and hydrate!

Oh, several ladies have stated that they feel people don't notice posts or stats....I want to say. ....that I read them all and give thoughts to everyone. I may not comment on everyone as I am usually walking, but know you are read and loved!

Hugs! Congratulations! Prayers! Keep chatting away! Your insights, challenges, Laughter, and ideas continue to encourage and inspire me!

<3
    Kylia in polar vortex Ohio

Ps-Penny is probably laughing at me whining about the cold! ;)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,823 Member
    Brrrr....It is c-c-c-cold outside! I got the driveway shoveled in two parts. I was out for 20 minutes (extra extra layers) and still had to come in and warm up before I headed back out for another 20 minutes. Alas...my a** is still there. BUT according the weather it is a frigid -8 here and the wind is blowing at a steady 30mph, putting the windchill right around -38/-41. A lot of the local businesses and municipalities have closed for the day. Alas, I do have a couple of kids that have to be here, because their parents HAVE to be at work. I wish Michigan would pass a law that businesses that are non-essential HAVE to close when a state of emergency is declared (Mi declared SOE yesterday around 10am through midnight tonight). Silly to risk your life driving because you might lose your job if you don't go in. Makes me angry.

Let's see...about my MIL. Yes, we finally got her safely moved into a beautiful assisted living center. She is in the "memory unit" of the center. She has her own "apartment" that is basically a 20x20 room with bed, room for dresser and a couple of recliners, tv, closet, sink, mini fridge, cupboards and bathroom. She is able to bring in her own furniture, artwork, etc. We had it all set up for her by the time she moved in. She picked out what she wanted to bring with her. As of right now, she is happy and content to be there and seems at peace with the idea. The center is set up like a little "village" and within one building there are seven restaurants, a grocery store, a gift shop, a clothing shop, a movie theater, an art room, mechanical shop room, exercise room, chapel... She is wears a tracker for the memory unit, and is allowed to move about the entire place. Their bracelet "tracker" helps the staff keep track of them and they can also be scanned if they want to purchase anything.

Machka- I am glad you are getting an MRI to get your hip checked out. Did you fall? Curious as to why she thinks you have fractured it. I would have bet any amount of money it was a nerve/muscle issue. Either way, rest up! Sending hugs!
    Heather- So sorry you are still battling the ick! Hope you feel better soon.
    Kylia, Lisa, and Rori- I know I have given my take on Girl Scouts v Boy Scouts before, BUT; I think a child's experience in either organization will depend on the leader that they have and the work/interest the child puts into it. I think Girl Scouts offers the same experiences as the Boy Scouts, but each troop does things according to their leader's comfort zone. If you want more than your troop is offering; check with your council, region, and GSUSA. Lots and lots of opportunities to take advantage of. Both my son and my daughter were in scouts. Because I was my daughter's girl scout leader, my youngest son was with me at all of our meetings and a majority of our events. When it was time for him to be able to join Boy Scouts as a Tiger Cub, he was not happy with the way the meetings went and the activities. He lasted a year with them and told me, "I like Girl Scouts better." lol The entire time I was a GS leader it was "inclusive". It was made known to us that it was okay for a boy to join our troop. We never had any boys ask to join our troop, though. AND there is much to be said for the separation of the sexes. By the time the girls in my troop were in high school (our troop went from 24 girls in elementary, down to five in high school), our meetings were biweekly and then a monthly sleep over at our local GS house. The girls belonged to different social/peer groups in school; but they came together once a month and they knew they were in a place where they wouldn't be judged. A safe place where they could talk about anything. Even their peer groups at school and the pressures they felt. I am not sure they could have had that "safe" place with a boy in our troop. Boys need that, too. Oh well, sorry so long. Although I am no longer involved in scouting, it remains to be something I am passionate about.
    Mary- Hello friend! So nice to see you posting!
    NYKaren Happy Birthiversary to you and your DH! That is very cool that you have "bundled" our important days! B)<3
    Sharon- Meant to tell you that I have enjoyed reading about your Allen and your stories of your kids and grandkids. Please post pictures of your weight loss/healthy journey! 20#! That is awesome!
    Allie- Wow! YOu can really see the 12#loss in your face! You look lovely! But you can really see the sparkle and joy in your eyes in the after pic! So happy for you!

Well, my kiddos are slowly drifting in. I guess I better get busy. I have the washable markers out and am going to let them make pictures on the windows today. That should keep them busy for a while. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,129 Member
    Oh dear, poor Beth! Hope your journey is not too difficult. <3

NYKAREN - Happy Birthyversary ! :D<3 We also celebrate the day we met. I like any chance to celebrate, so that way we get one at a better time of year than our wedding anniversary. Never feel like doing much in November, but more fun in May. :D

What a pain, Machka!

I've cancelled my dance class - again. As I had to pay up front it is annoying. I've also cancelled the dental hygienist on Friday. Don't want to have a coughing fit while she has her hands in my mouth!

Last night I sat up all night, propped up on three pillows. I couldn't lie down. I did doze off from time to time, but it was a long and painful night. Today the coughing has subsided a bit and my ribcage is slightly less painful. I observe a gradual improvement. Following behind DH. He seems a lot better.

Lisa - excited for you! <3 My DH is like yours , but he did come to my breast cancer op. I actually prefer to do most medical things on my own. I don't want to be worrying about the other person.

Your cold weather has been on our news. Sounds awful. We had a sprinkle of snow on the grass this morning, but they are predicting a bit more tomorrow night. Here on the south coast the weather is generally milder, so it's hovering around freezing at night. Much of the country has snow.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,578 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,438 Member
    r44v0718cwqk.jpeg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Lisa, you will do great with the knee replacement, they have you up and walking as soon as the block has worn off and you regain feeling in your leg. I'm going to try to attach a link to the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine. I woke from surgery with this moving my knee. I'm not sure they are as popular now as they used to be. My right knee was replaced four years ago, left knee 3 1/2 years. You will be so glad you did it. It's not as bad as it sounds :).

Big hugs.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/cpm-continuous-passive-motion-2549555

Janetr OKC

• Katla49
    Lisa: Our neighbor just had his hip replaced. He was in the hospital for only 2 days for the surgery and is now at home. He is using a walker and able to walk again without excruciating pain. I hope that your upcoming knee surgery is every bit as successful. It is likely to be more successful. You are younger and more fit. Our neighbor has previously had knee replacement surgeries. He is also way too heavy for his frame. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Sending good thoughts your way. :heart:

Beth: I hope you layer up so that you can stay warm no matter what. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m guessing your dental hygienist will be okay with the cancellation. No doubt they would prefer not to be exposed to any virus. Feel better soon! :star:

Allie: I’m glad to hear that you’re having lunch with your daughter. It is great to have something positive to look forward to. :smiley:

Pip: You are amazing. Bike riding in 30 degree weather is not something to take lightly. Be safe! :star:

My knee has been bothering me, and I know that I relaxed my vigilance and gained more weight than it can handle—without ever going over the weight level that MFP considers healthy for me. I’ve had to go under their weight recommendations to keep the knee functioning and pain free and I’m in the process of taking weight back down enough to elimenate the pain. :ohwell:

Worrying about all of you in the freezing zones, as well as my own adult children and their families. Please do your best to stay safe and warm!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    I just heard from my daughter in IL. She is staying home from work today. I am thankful. :heart:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Stay toasty everyone, and safe!

Had a 2 hour delayed opening and cleaned up around the house as well as got in my exercise for the day, I'm feeling empowered!

NYKAREN