WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    (Recap) What tiny object is most precious to you?
    When you've had a tough day, what makes you feel better?
    What would you like to celebrate?
    What's your biggest wish in life?

If you were to send a thank you note to someone, whom would you thank?

Who is a good friend to you?

What small thing did you do recently, that made someone very happy?

Katla--All those health issues must make life challenging. I only had one, and I'm hoping to head off any others.

Barbie--I'm just not there yet. Maybe in the future exercise will be such a part of my life, I'll give up the crafts. But right now, it gives me a sense of accomplishment, as well as nurtures my creative soul. I'm blessed that I don't work outside the home, so I've got the luxury of time.

Heather--I'm learning about the Instant Pot little by little. I should probably keep a journal of what does and doesn't work, so I don't make the same mistakes twice.

KJ--Good answers! I loved the poem; it reminded me of my daughter when she was three. I was giving her a bath, and several times she flapped her arms. Then she looked up at me with such a sad, serious look and told me in that lost child's voice, "I can't fly." What a sad realization for a kid.
    Your daycare boys....wow, just wow. You deserve sainthood. I think they're lucky to have you. My son sometimes threw scary tantrums like that, and even the most loving discipline failed after the first time or two--once the novelty wore off. He grew out of it--TG.

Machka--You've thought this dream lifestyle through. If it were me, I'd skip owning the houses, and resolve to lease a luxury home wherever I landed--contingent on the lottery winnings.
    Your description of your feet and the perfect shoes reminds me of my own experiences. I have short, wide feet with a high instep. I wear about a 5 1/2 in length, and an 8 in width. They need to be wide, but also have some space on top. I've also got disgusting toenails, so they need to be closed. Ballet flats are too narrow--especially those that barely cover the toes. (Why is this even a style?) Your new shoes are cute; definitely need to get the red. Finding good shoes that fit is rare.

Rori--I hate dementia too, though no one close to me has been affected yet. It's just not fair; we work, learn, and grow all our lives, only to lose it when we should have it all together. Happy Anniversary and birthday anyway. You can remember for both of you.

Michelle--Congratulations on the new car! Three years these days isn't the same as it used to be. I've got a 2015, and it still feels brand new to me. A couple dings in the paint, but otherwise it's in fantastic shape.

Karen--I wish someone had been as mean to me as you are to your grandson. Those are all things he's going to need to know in his life--unlike some things we get in school.

Janet--Your DD sounds exactly like mine--drifting. She's a good kid, but she's still clinging to her childhood, and not "adulting" beyond what we force on her.

NYKaren--Root canal? Good luck with that, and hope you recover quick.

Felecia--Sounds like your hubby doesn't get colds, but "man colds." I hope he feels better soon and doesn't have to cancel his trip. Prayers it's not a blood clot--or at least one easily treated.

What tiny object is most precious to me? Almost everything I have is replaceable--including the wedding band. The memory sticks for my computer are what I'd grab in a fire--after those living of course. I've saved pictures, journals, and even my dad's poems on those, and I'd cry if I lost them. Tough day? Venting, writing, or talking it out helps me. I'd like to celebrate my weight loss goal being met. (Halfway there) My biggest wish in life is for my kids to be good adults.

I finished my queen-sized blanket today. Now I need to see if I can get the seven year-old Chinese food sauce out of it. (carried DH's leftovers in the same bag, and they leaked.) I'm trying a few stain treatments, then I'll give it a wash.

Down another pound--yay! I'm trying to learn to stop eating when I'm no longer hungry, regardless of calories. I've been a member of the Clean Plate Club for four decades, and those habits are hard to change. In the evenings, I'm sitting here feeling the hunger--and that's okay. I do my crocheting at night, while I watch movies or scroll through facebook. Keeping my hands busy and my lap full, helps keep me from snacking.

Cari in N. Texas
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Cari - they make those types of shoes for people like me!
    ynxkl2kl1m2c.jpeg

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    looking good Rita~~~
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    ynxkl2kl1m2c.jpeg

Torture devices!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's Judgment Day!

"Judgment Day is a tongue-in-cheek holiday that ... say(s) you don't have to wait until death for judgment. According to Ruth and Thomas Roy, the creators of the day, you can just look in the mirror and be your own judge. They say of the day, 'Now you don't have to die to see how you measure up to your deity's standards. Just look in the mirror, wait for the answer, and go out and give it another shot.' According to the description of the day in Chase's Calendar of Events, 'All you need to do to see how you measure up to the standards of your God is simple: look in the mirror. There's your judgment.'" I reckon we'd probably all be better off if we stuck to judging ourselves instead of everyone else! {giving myself a stern look}

Kelly - Your Dragon Day celebration sounds like a blast! And I can totally identify with wanting to fly away sometimes.

Machka - Not winning the lottery has been a real sticking point for me. I'd have a much easier time sticking to my program if I didn't have to work for a living!

Barbie - I'm so glad to hear that Jake had a good check-up!

Michele - Crossing my fingers for you to find the right car soon.

Karen - It's terrific that you're showing your grandson real-world uses for those math skills.

Felicia - I hope your husband gets some relief from his health issues soon and that they don't interfere with his work. Hopefully now that they have a cause they'll be able to put things right quickly.

Rita - The UFO museums and shops are giant tourist traps, but that never stopped me from going there willingly every chance I get. Very interesting, not to mention a great source of tacky souvenirs for your friends and family back home!

Dire news over here today. I dropped my phone this morning and it managed to land just right so that the touchscreen doesn't work anymore. I use the web version of MFP so that's fine, but it means I can't work through my Noom checklists for the day. It was getting time to replace the phone anyway so I've ordered an upgrade and in the meantime Philip is going to pick up an adapter so I can interact with the phone using a mouse. I hate being so dependent on the stupid thing.

-Yvonne in TX
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ynxkl2kl1m2c.jpeg

Torture devices!

I’m guessing these are a no go too :wink:
    s1r4z279gpfn.jpeg

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Carol in GA: I use brand new SOS pads that are unused and full of soap on DH’s Instant Pot’s stainless cooking bowl. I haven’t had any troubles with keeping it clean and shiny. There are no scratches. My neighbor’s DH is also in love with his Instant Pot. :flowerforyou: That said, I prefer to cook in cast iron or use regular stainless pots & pans. :bigsmile:

Rita: I see you’ve found a new boyfriend. Is DH jealous? I agree with Allie & your green BF. You are looking good. :wink: :star: We're planning a long road trip later this spring to visit DD and her family at their new farm. I would love to hear your advice and insights on how to manage a long road trip in an RV. I consider you an expert and trusted friend.

Okie: I agree with Machka—torture devices. The shoes look glamorous but you coulnd’t get me to wear them for less than a million bucks. I am not into self-torture. My mom had a BFF named Elsie who wore shoes like that all the time. She and my mom told me repeatedly that a woman has to suffer to look beautiful. I decided to pass on beauty and the necessary pain and suffering. I don’t have a talent for it. :noway:

I went to yoga today and had a lovely time there. I usually go on Friday but tomorrow DH has an eye doctor appointment and needs me to drive him home. This particular doctor often decides that DH needs laser treatment for a tangle of blood vessels in the back of his eye. Driving afterward isn’t a good plan so I'm his designated driver.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Heather - feel better soon.

Lisa - love diversity and inclusion analogy

Viv - in 2015 my Brother, best friend and I took a week to clean out my Mother’s house and set her up all on one level. We cleaned out things that were in the house from before I moved out in 1987. We loaded my brothers tractor bucket up about 20 times. (He put the bucket up to the upstairs windows to save us steps up and down) we then had another 10-15 loads downstairs. This made me come home and make a lot of changes in my own house. Then in 2016 we moved from a 1300 sq foot with basement and lots of storage to around 700 sq foot with very little storage. I am constantly decluttering and getting rid of things. It has also made me really think about what I want on the house so consider purchases more wisely.

Kelly - how blessed little Jonah is to have you. Our nephew went undiagnosed with lots of issues over the years. I remember holding him screaming he hated himself and me telling him how much I loved him. We moved away when he was 6, when I saw him as a teenager he told me I deserted him that I was the only one that ever truly loved him. He is a very troubled young man now.

Karen - your Grandson is so fortunate to have you. Love his comment about abusing his mind!

Carol - I like the idea of EBay. Thank you

Lanette - your husband not remembering his own birthday makes not remembering yours easier I bet. My son in laws Grandfather forgot his legal first name a while ago and argued with his wife until she made him look at his drivers license. He goes by Wes, argued his name is Wesley. It’s Weston. He decided it’s a stupid name lol

Vicki - no one except my husband’s mother gave us more than a year either. It has been 31 so far. It hasn’t always been easy but it has been worth it.

Felicia - hope your husband has nothing serious. I have the opposite issue with my husband. I am pretty suture I witnessed him have a heart attack a couple years ago, he has sleep apnea. I hit him sometimes to wake him, suffers from terrible headaches but has not seen a doctor in 20 years. I cannot convince him to go at all.

I had a great day running errands with my daughter and granddaughter. May have some good news on a small loan I have that light be taken care of through insurance since I lost my job.
    Will take a few weeks to find out the outcome when I submit the application for insurance to cover it.

I haven’t accomplished much else today, but will probably do some crafting after supper.

Have a great day
    Tracey in a cold, windy and snowy Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    I'm in bed and relaxing...we will be getting a snow/ice storm Saturday. Night through Sunday night so will be home and doing a bunch of cleaning,especially my walk in closet..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    crp9yb8x95lj.jpeg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip Aaaahhhh!!! Such sweet pups...Just looking at their picture lowers the blood pressure.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,125 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.39min, 12.5amph, 143mhr, 1.6mi= 85c
    SKI MACHINE- 30min, fat burn program, 121stpm, 117ahr, 135mhr, 1.41mi= 227c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.45min, 136mhr, 15.3amph, 1.4mi= 64c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.08min, 12amph, 150mhr, 3mi= 153c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.02min, 9.36min mi, 150mhr, .5mi= 64c
    jog wrk 2 sta- WINDY!! .then riding to other side of tracks then back again, 4.21min, 9.35min mi, 4mi= 94c
    bike ride dome 2 hm-WINDY! 21.39min,150mhr, 7.3amph, 2.6mi= 205c

total 892
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Volunteered at the Green Room. Came home and totally forgot to pick up these battery holders for Vince so had to go back for them Now home. Newcomer bowling tonight

M – really like those shoes. I don’t care at all for ballet flats

Heather – feel better soon

KJ – you have the patience of a saint

Janet in MO – at least people in MO know HOW to drive in snow. You should see it down here when it snows!

Okie – I’m so sorry to hear about your reflux. Hope it goes away and stays away

NYKaren – a root canal…yuk Take care

Tracey – sure hope everything goes well with the loan.

Michele in NC