WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Because of the cat I was up too early and feel poopy. I must be cautious and stay on guard or I’ll overeat. Just finished cup of water and cup of organic yogurt and a serving of baby carrots and more sweetened iced coffee than normal. Did get workout done. 817 calories remaining. I’ve been at 1000 calories plus exercise so about 1200 and having trouble losing. I’m 5 foot two, 123.8lbs, with small frame and it’s just too hard for me to lose weight above 900 calories. Charts say I should be 107-140. I’d like to be 115-118 but not sure that’s realistic. Thoughts?

Grace - hope your kitty settles down! Glad your DH is coming around with the move. Great ideas about finding him something to remodel at your next place. B)

Regarding your weight, I can't recall if you mentioned your age or if you are thru menopause. Several of us in our mid to upper 60's and above are having problems with osteopenia & osteoporosis and have decided it's OK to be at the upper range of the suggested BMI or perhaps a few more pounds over.

Body fat produces estrogen which protects our bones. Plus gives us a reserve if we become ill and cannot eat for a few days or need to be hospitalized. Of course, there are medications which can protect bones that some of us still must take.

I'm satisfied at 160 now vs. 145, which was my goal of 30 years ago. I'm one of the lucky tall ones, was 5' 9", now shrunken to 5' 8 1/2". Seven years ago, I weighed 180 and there was a period in my life I was nearly 200, so letting go of the 145 lb goal has been quite freeing.

Bottom line, your current BMI is around 22.7, and there's nothing wrong with that. But you are the best judge if you are comfortable there or if you have some extra few pounds are in the "wrong places". B)

The gals here in this group got me started on weight lifting which has really helped me tone up and increase my metabolism.

Hope this helps.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...Rita- is there a purpose for Bulletproof coffee? Looking at those ingredients, I would say it is to "clean you out". Just curious.
    Barbie- Ugh! Hope you feel better soon! Glad Jake is beginning to feel better so he can help you a bit.
    Kylia- Wonderful news on baby Aubrey!
    Immune systems- Because I have been chasing snot monsters for the past 24 years my immune system is really strong. I hardly ever get sick and if I do, it doesn't linger. I do not get the flu shot. My house does get a thorough wipe down with disinfectant every day. Tim has a poor, and now compromised (due to meds) immune system and so he tends to get everything. We have just started him taking Sambucol to give him a boost. He takes it for three days and then stops for a while, until he feels run down again. It seems to work really well. He gets the flu shot and pneumonia shot. Many articles have been written about children's immune systems. To all of those with grandbabies: The sooner they are exposed to different environments and people, it makes their immune system stronger. Science has shown that children will be their sickest (more frequently sick) as soon as they get into daycare/classroom type settings. So if your kid is home the first four years of his life with a SAHM, those kids will be sick a lot the first couple years of school. IF you send your baby to daycare from infancy, those first couple years of his/her life will they will be sick a lot. As they get older, their bodies learn how to handle each illness better and their immune systems grow stronger. IF you have a child with asthma, allergies or auto immune diseases, they would be the exception to this rule. While they may make their immune system a little stronger; it most likely will never be a strong system and they will always need to take flu shots and other vaccines, vitamins/meds to boost it up a bit.

Last night I ended up not having any of my evening kids either! EVERYTHING closed down and my parents all stayed home with their kiddos. I did have one mom ask if I could take her kiddo tonight (not a scheduled night) and I told her I made other plans. I didn't. I just want the night to myself. Even after having yesterday (that one glorious day/night) off. I really enjoyed my time yesterday. I think because I didn't plan to have it off, I didn't make a to do list or fill my time with things that I felt I should be doing. I just cleaned, etc until lunchtime and then farted around and watched a couple of movies. I did go out and play in the snow and challenged (via video) my snow hating friend to go out and play and embrace her inner snow bunny. My hubby filmed it and thinks I am nuts. lol (I personally think that is what attracted him to me).

Well, baby is awake. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Today’s low carb Arby’s Arby melt no bun.
    Total carb, 12
    i1qb4fm268z9.jpeg
  • kevrit
    Options
    KJ bulletproof coffee fills me up and is a quick breakfast. Lucky for me, it doesn’t clean me out!

RV Rita
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Just whipped up some cauliflower mac and cheese in a bacon bowl... used jumbo muffin tins,will see how they are when they cool
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tracey in Edmonton: HAPPY MFP ANNIVRSARY! :bigsmile:

Pip: I am happy to hear that you and Kirby plan to do the viaduct run in Seattle. I hope for reasonable weather and for you two to enjoy yourselves. :star:

Allie and Felicia: I agree absolutely with this post from Felicia, “People our size can't compare to others. (Well, really. None of us should compare our progress to anyone else, irrespective of size.) We just need to do what is right for us and be happy losing what we can knowing that we have done what is safe for us. You are doing such a great job.”
    You are both doing so well. I’m happy for your successes along with you both.

I’m home from yoga and a trip to the vet with the dog. The dog has a cyst on his backside and they’re sending goo from it off to a lab for a biopsy. I have already called the groomer and let her know our appreciation for her sharp observations. The vet didn’t seem concerned about the cyst, but she wanted a lab to confirm that there was no cancer or other problems.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Lisa, spraying Lysol on hubs hit my funny bone. In the summer when it is actually hot here (think Upper 80s to low 90s, although it has gotten hotter.) Allan and I used to each have a water bottle for misting by our chairs. One time he set his on squirt. I immediately squirted him back. Unspoken rules were “No water on reading material and none in face.” And it was off and running for the rest of the hot spell. Allan was about 80 at the time, but I saw the gleefully mischievous 8-YO his mom had talked about. Never mind that I was 66 and just as bad!

Machka! I hope you stay off that hip as much as possible until they decide just what the problem is! You’re so strong-minded, and I’ll bet that’s what got you through the last of that marathon. You can put that to work now to be just as willful in doing what’s right to heal.

Barbara AHMOD, you have no idea how much I enjoy your candid and life revealing posts.

I’ve hit a plateau for the last several days, but am still down over 17# from my day of surgery weight. Hard to believe that was only 4 weeks ago.

I can’t imagine that my mushroom-like hips will ever go down, but I’m willing to wait and see. More pictures coming when I can find someone to “shoot” me and am wearing clothes.

I believe I’ve finally turned a corner with my older cat! She just adores making biscuits on my leg, my tummy, my arm, my boob! BUT she’s a real super battle fury when it comes to nail cutting. I have the correct cutter, but you need to control the cat, get the nail positioned right, hold it there and cut. Usually somewhere in the middle of these proceedings she’d shoot out of my grip like a bazooka. There is, however, a magic word! “Nummies, Goldie! Nummies!” After every nail for now. She’ll let me get one paw with treats after every toe, then it’s no deal until she gets hungry again. Best luck I’ve had with her ever. Maybe I will cease looking as if I’ve been assaulted by a cheese grater someday.

Sharon Near Seattle With Battle Scars
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    well ladies I whipped up some cauliflower mac and cheese and it was decedent.. and keto friendly of course, made a small casserole dhish and took it up to my SIL, the whole family has colds so i scooted out real quick..
  • kevrit
    Options
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Evening ladies.
    Such good new about baby Audrey. She is a doll baby.
    Can someone tell me what SWSY stands for? I keep seeing it but can’t figure it out.
    Pip- good luck on Saturday, I hope the weather cooperates but really you guys can take any weather that comes along. I am debating golf tomorrow because it will be 50 when we start. Such a wimp.
    Happy Birthday to Sue in WA and Karen has n NY.
    I wish I had taken notes but I thought I would remember what I wanted to comment on.
    Went to yoga this morning and it always makes me feel good.
    SueBDew in TX

Sue - SWSY stands for "Strong Women Stay Young" - the book by Miriam Nelson about weight lifting for older gals. So when we do our "SWSY" it means doing our strength training routine often with small dumbbells and ankle weights.

There's also a website: http://www.strongwomen.com/strongwomen-programs/strongwomen/

To get a glimpse of the weight lifting routine I generally follow: http://www.strongwomen.com/fitness/fitness-eprograms/vibrant-aging-overview/vibrant-aging/ note there are also programs for strong bones and staying slim. The "Virtual Trainer" is kind of cool!

Hope this helps B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) I just posted the new thread for February. I am ready for another nap and want to make sure it is completed before I nod off again.

Here is the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10724050/women-ages-50-for-february-2019/p1?new=1://
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

took it easy today and will take it easy tomorrow

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.31min, 12.7amph, 131mhr, 1.5mi= 72c
    manual treadmill, walk/slow jog- 18.32min, 123ahr, 123mhr, 1mi= 106c
    ROPE PULL- 15.25min, midset, lvl5 out of 7, 103ahr, 131mhr, 1500ft= 89c
    Fl exercises - 4.38min, 4sts of 20ea, crunches, pelvic lifts, 88mhr= 16c
    fl exer- Crunches- 2.18min, 1 set of 100, 91mhr, = 11c
    bike ride gym to dome- 5.05min, 17.5amph, 138mhr, 1.4mi= 65c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.03min, 13amph, 148mhr, 3mi= 146c
    slow jog sta 2 wrk- 5.24min, 10.30min mi, 134ahr, 145mhr, .5mi= 63c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.10min, 152mhr, 9.24min mi, .4mi= 61c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.52min, 8.3amph, 149mhr,2.5mi= 195c

total cal 808
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Grace- omg! Our struggles are the same! I am 5'2" currently at 124.6. Small frame. My highest not pregnant weight was 155 about 11 years ago. I cried a lot! I was always under 100 except when pregnant. I thought I looked good at 135 nine years ago until I saw my honeymoon pictures. I joined MFP about 8 years ago. My goal at almost 56 yo is 112-115. I was at 116 for a year, then got curve balled with surgeries and life and crept back up to 135. I struggled in the 130's for 6-8 months. Finally broke into the 120s in 2018. My goal was to be 120 by September. I started vacation at 119.9. I was so excited! Came back in October from vacation and business trip to chaos with work and family. Again got overwhelmed and was quickly approaching that 130 again. I started 2019 at almost 128. I am down almost 4 pounds. So let me share what has been working for me. Water, water, water! The struggle is real as I am content with 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and maybe one glass of water a day. I have managed at least 8 glasses of water all but 1 day since Christmas. 10,000 steps a day with at least 30 minutes being intentional walking. While I try to get that 30 minutes in in the morning, other times it is at night (like tonight). It is 35 steps around my hallway, dining room, and kitchen circle. My CICO seems pretty good. I try to get at least 1300 per day. I still have some candies, but find myself choose most days. Good stuff in small amounts goes a long way. I eat what I want but pay attention to portion sizes.
    Just my story....sorry got long....but wanted to share. Whether we lose 20 lbs or 200 lbs, my understanding is the body will fight more the closer to goal you are! These ladies have all been and are on incredible journeys and share great insights.

I had to stop reading to reply to Grace. Now can go back to reading. Thanks for listening!

<3
    Kylia in it is snowing again in Ohio but at least in the teens again
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Mary~ thanks honey I am sure trying hard, I cant compare to some people that have lost 15-20 lbs in a month,im doing what I need to do and feel so much better...

People our size can't compare to others. (Well, really. None of us should compare our progress to anyone else, irrespective of size.) We just need to do what is right for us and be happy losing what we can knowing that we have done what is safe for us. You are doing such a great job.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

Felicia- well said! We are all individuals. We need to accept ourselves for who we are and what we do. This is true not only of weight loss, but life in general.
    <3
    Kylia