What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options

th?id=OGC.2e2158e535a512c7e9d84f045abb80ba&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f6kIhfdGqVvu0M%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=nFBUs1BTIDBQnsDD1lwdKA

If Cardiac arrest, just revive for more...

Think you can break it?
    And learn the reverse...

giphy.gif

Brief cardiac arrest then tachycardia.
    Is it worth it?
    Flip it AND reverse it.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not targeting anyone here, I know I'm guilty of this myself. But..

Why is it that we cannot accept when someone tells us we are beautiful, but we adorn ourselves with comparisons to celebrities.

I think in a way we have been taught to view self love and appreciation as vanity or conceit... there is a big difference in loving and accepting yourself and being conceited or braggadocios. Society tells us what is "beautiful"... its interesting to go back through time and see what was considered "beauty" in a particular era... 40 + years ago the standard of beauty was so completely different from today. Celebrities usually set that standard...
  • MrSunshinez
    MrSunshinez Posts: 573 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not targeting anyone here, I know I'm guilty of this myself. But..

Why is it that we cannot accept when someone tells us we are beautiful, but we adorn ourselves with comparisons to celebrities.

I think in a way we have been taught to view self love and appreciation as vanity or conceit... there is a big difference in loving and accepting yourself and being conceited or braggadocios. Society tells us what is "beautiful"... its interesting to go back through time and see what was considered "beauty" in a particular era... 40 + years ago the standard of beauty was so completely different from today. Celebrities usually set that standard...

Exactly. Seeing the changes in thinking over time has fascinated me as well. What I've noticed was the 50's & 60's represented was presenting yourself to the world the best way possible. People dressed up going to the grocery store. Here come the 90's. Enter Nirvana, Facebook (Mr. Sloppy Tshirt CEO), Married with Children and Rosanne all told society that it was okay to be *you* even if you wanted to be fat and sloppy...just be happy. Not such a good idea over time and here we are playing catch up. I love the aspect of it's okay that one size or style doesn't fit all because it's not realistic.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options

We all like compliments, I think? It’s how to appropriately reply to the compliment that’s a struggle. Some worry they come across as conceited or that they have to repay the compliment and perhaps not come across as genuine. Really a simple thank you, does well.

As for the celebrity comparisons that’s the media messing with us, trying to install their image of beauty. As a teen I had stacks of cosmo magazines. I’d read all the beauty articles, obsesses over the girls and felt I couldn’t be good enough if I wasn’t 5’9, size zero, with tan skin, full breasts and a pretty bow mouth. But then I grew up some, learned to love myself, and now I can’t give a care. At the end of the day, what we think of ourselves is most powerful.

Absolutely, on some level all of us like compliments. Regardless of whether we feel like we deserve them, however in the cases of severely abused children who may feel only shame and guilt when receiving a compliment this is probably not accurate.

As an adolescent I think we are much more likely to be affected by what the media portrays as attractive. Possibly down to hormones and peer pressure, but also self image at a time when our bodies are changing and we may not have the control we want over our appearance (to a larger extent than in adulthood). I guess as a teen the need to be accepted is so prevalent and intrusive that I would call it damaging.

That's exactly what I was getting at, receiving a compliment graciously is an art form because you're navigating the misconception that you're narcissistic if you 'agree.' The 'ideal' self image is so ubiquitous throughout society that it's inescapable, celebrities contribute to this hugely and it creates a domino effect. Even so far as the mannequins that high-street stores use. But that's how we are manipulated as a society, to purchase things that create a false image of who we are so that we feel like we fit in, and to continue moving those goal posts so we are always striving for an unattainable ideal. It's like planned obsolescence.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »
    rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

funny enough Ophelia drowning has personal meaning to me

I didn’t know that. I hope I didn’t hurt you with my careless references ❤️

She comes up a lot in my writing and other crafts. Even a quilt block.

hold up, u quilt? me toooooo

Yes, very, very badly. But I do it anyway
    rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

ow1avttt9axz.jpeg

that’s awesome! i have a friend who’s a fiber artist and her quilts are amazing

i kinda strictly craft with it though, just making things like bags and blankets

I’ve made one smallish traditional quilt. I think the block is called called Georgia? Took me forever. I have a problem with the precision required to quilt well.

i’m not precise at all, I use scrap and no pattern and kinda hobble it together

heres a bag i made64vi1xsbuksp.gif

I recognize that hand.

Are you ever going to be open about who you are? Because i love me a good catfish but not for every meal, nomsayin

Isn't it obvious?

Is it?
    rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

ow1avttt9axz.jpeg

i kinda strictly craft with it though, just making things like bags and blankets

I’ve made one smallish traditional quilt. I think the block is called called Georgia? Took me forever. I have a problem with the precision required to quilt well.

I recognize that hand.

Are you ever going to be open about who you are? Because i love me a good catfish but not for every meal, nomsayin

Isn't it obvious?

That person swore to me it wasn’t them.

Who was that?
    rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

ow1avttt9axz.jpeg

I recognize that hand.

Isn't it obvious?

That person swore to me it wasn’t them.

Well that's it then, can't be them 😁

You are being very condescending.
    rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

rk21mvtdfftj.jpeg

ow1avttt9axz.jpeg

I recognize that hand.

Bluegill is pretty good.

I’m just sayin if you reveal who you are and you aren’t the person everyone thinks you are, you might find your time here more enjoyable. And even if nobody feels like they know who you are, people who come back anonymously often say that they feel invisible compared to before. That doesn’t sound very enjoyable.

You strike me as desperately unhappy at times and really cynical as a result but that’s like 94% of us here. And I’ve seen glimmers of a sense of humor, one that i think you’re trying to hide so as to protect your identity.

You seem to be here to stay, and it bothers me to see a regular appear to feel so low. I’d love to see you join in more without feeling as though you’re a total outsider. I honestly hate how many woos get thrown your way.

I guess that’s all.

I’m enjoying my time here, did I say I wasn’t? I don’t feel any more invisible here than I do in the real world. I am unhappy and I’m glad you think I have a glimmer of a sense of humor, you are just about the only one. I haven’t attempted to hide my identity with my posts. I don’t feel I’m an outsider I know I am, I’ve always been one. Do people give me woos? That means they love me right? That’s a good thing I guess.

Nope, I wasn't and @caco_ethes the lady I responded to knows me well enough to know that was a tongue in cheek light hearted response..
  • Teenybudda
    Teenybudda Posts: 206 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm worrying that I'm not being the best mum that I could be at the minute, worrying that I may be messing my kid up for life by not being able to be present as often as she needs because I just need a break that never seems to come.
    The fear of not knowing I'm doing a good enough job and that i will never know until she's all grown up, and by then, well it's too late.
    Its some scary *kitten*..
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    My dad.. I'm angry and annoyed that certain family members are telling him he shouldn't have so many animals. (Horses, chooks, dogs, cats, ducks)
    It's true his health hasnt been the best, but he gets around enough to look after them.
    I truly believe they are what keeps him alive and whilst I am able I will make damn sure they don't take his enjoyment away.
    My dad is of sound mind, so why they think they have the right to tell him how things should be and how he should live..

That's what's on my mind

I'm sorry you are having to go threw this within you're own family .
    I love the fact how you are wanting to protect you dad and his happiness .
    Stay strong .
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    You're a wonderful person Eckhart. My little Yoda. <3https://youtu.be/VauHIuyPwkM
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

th?id=OGC.2e2158e535a512c7e9d84f045abb80ba&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2f6kIhfdGqVvu0M%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=nFBUs1BTIDBQnsDD1lwdKA

Think you can break it?
    And learn the reverse...

giphy.gif

Is it worth it?
    Flip it AND reverse it.

I'll bring the AED, don't worry I'm certified (I even got a pin that says so 🤷🏽‍♂️)
    Have you seen Call of Wild?
    I'll bring it for you 😉
    Mount and pound into submission Bb

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    That I miss a lot when I'm working on here lol and I still need to post in the voice thread
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    That I miss a lot when I'm working on here lol and I still need to post in the voice thread

Well. What are you waiting for?
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Well. What are you waiting for?

A. Gotta respond to you boo
    B. Have to figure how
    C. Figure out what to say xD
    D. Do it!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Taz6o5 wrote: »
    My dad.. I'm angry and annoyed that certain family members are telling him he shouldn't have so many animals. (Horses, chooks, dogs, cats, ducks)
    It's true his health hasnt been the best, but he gets around enough to look after them.
    I truly believe they are what keeps him alive and whilst I am able I will make damn sure they don't take his enjoyment away.
    My dad is of sound mind, so why they think they have the right to tell him how things should be and how he should live..

That's what's on my mind

I'm sorry you are having to go threw this within you're own family .
    I love the fact how you are wanting to protect you dad and his happiness .
    Stay strong .

Thank you 🙂 all I want is for my dad to be happy. He's been the best dad, he deserves the very best.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    edited February 2019
    Options

Think you can break it?
    And learn the reverse...

giphy.gif

Is it worth it?
    Flip it AND reverse it.

I'll bring the AED, don't worry I'm certified (I even got a pin that says so 🤷🏽‍♂️)
    Have you seen Call of Wild?
    I'll bring it for you 😉
    Mount and pound into submission Bb

You don't need a pin to give me CPR Papi.
    I'll get pricked anyway.
    Which one? Actually irrelevant, because... I haven't seen any 😂
    Don't just bring it. Demonstrate.
    Like putty in my hands 😉
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I was driving down the main strip of
    my hometown and I noticed coats, hats, mitts, blankets and scarves hung up. The churches were open as emergency shelters, and people were giving out hot chocolate for free. I felt happy that there are beautiful souls in this world who care and do what they can.
    Tell me about it. I scored a few Christian Dior pieces. 🙌
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    I've been saying cayotes and dandelions wrong my whole life! I'm pretty sure the list doesn't stop there :D
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Wiiiiine 🍷