WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Kylia - Great news about Aubrey!! Healing prayers for your Aunt.

Okie
  • Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Back at it today. I’m thinking I may have to drop my calories by 100 a day to lose. It seems I have tried many times to lose at 1200 calories but because I go over a day or two a week I struggle to drop weight. I’m wondering if I drop to 900 plus 200 for exercise and factor in the cheat days I might be more consistent long term? Anyhow I’m giggling at the snow you all are getting in the south. I’m in VT 😁.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Back at it today. I’m thinking I may have to drop my calories by 100 a day to lose. It seems I have tried many times to lose at 1200 calories but because I go over a day or two a week I struggle to drop weight. I’m wondering if I drop to 900 plus 200 for exercise and factor in the cheat days I might be more consistent long term? Anyhow I’m giggling at the snow you all are getting in the south. I’m in VT 😁.

1200 is the recommended minimum.

Just curious ... why do you need what you call "cheat days". And what are they?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options

:) It's hard to get all the nutrients for need at much less than 1200 calories. Can you increase your exercise a bit? Can you do without the cheat days? It has helped me to maintain a routine of eating and deviate only on rare special occasions.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :)Lisa, I am not surprised that they had you walking right away. After my spine surgery, I walked as soon as the anesthesia wore off with a nurse hanging on to me. At that point it was hard to believe that I'd ever be back to normal but am and you will be too. Best wishes for a great recovery.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ I love the night scenes of your back yard. With the glowing lights, it looks like a fairy land. :)

Kylia ~ Sorry about your aunt and so glad Aubrey is going home.

The pickles last night got me through my craving for junk but then I had acid reflux several hours after going to bed. :s

Weather in Georgia is like Spring the last few days. The trees are trying to bud and the pollen count is up.

Carol in GA
  • Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:) It's hard to get all the nutrients for need at much less than 1200 calories. Can you increase your exercise a bit? Can you do without the cheat days? It has helped me to maintain a routine of eating and deviate only on rare special occasions.

By cheat days I mean days when I go over calories unwillingly or allow myself a free day. I have found trying to commit to not having splurges at least once a week does not work for me. However I’m realizing when I allow myself a cheat day I always go overboard because I tend to bake and have a large amount available. I’ve decided to not do this and buy something small and when it’s gone it’s gone. Going over calories at least once a week happens and this seems to keep me from losing if I don’t go under 1000 the other days. I exercise 40 minutes six days a week. I think increasing this might help but I hesitate to think it will be enough.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Barbie: Your snowy field looks like a great place for dogs to run. :smiley: Good luck on switching the TVs around. :star:

NC Blessings: Welcome! Tell us a bit about yourself. :flowerforyou:

Rori: Love the “new to you” car. I love the color. Ours are both silver, too. :wink: I hope you are able to donate the old car to charity. :star:

Yvonne: We enjoyed the chicken soup very much—"good to the last drop.” :smiley:

Lisa: It is great to hear that you’re through the surgery and things have gone well. I hope you’ll be able to go home soon. :heart:

Barbara: It is good to have a broken wrist sister. For the health and wellbeing of others, I hope they don’t go out in the snow and ice and break theirs. :noway:

M in OZ: Thanks for the good-wishes for our dog. If the antibiotics don’t get the job done he’ll need surgery and he is an old boy. Surgery is not something we would like to see happen. :noway:

Grace&Miracles: Welcome to a great group! My best advice is to let MFP set your calories, and don’t have cheat days or free days. You can still have treats. If you want to have an extra treat, increase your exercise to earn it. You may see CICO in people’s posts. It stands for calories in, calories out. Managing it well is the way to succeed. Have your treat and then go out for a walk, or go for a bike ride, dance or do something active that is fun & burn off those calories. :flowerforyou:

We have a slick deck this morning due to frost. It is sparkly and pretty, but the footing isn’t so great. I’m being careful when I let the dog in and out.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Barbara thank you!
    Rori love the new car. I like all the new safety features!
    Lisa wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    So if my birthday cupcake has less fat than my low fat cottage cheese....does that mean skip the cottage cheese in favor of cupcake??? Lol! Just kidding! But did cross my mind. ;)

Laughing in ohio,
    Kylia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Kylia))): Sending good thoughts for your Auntie and continued good news for Aubrey. It seems as though your Auntie is doing very well, indeed. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Great photo of your snowy yard! We have heavy frost but no snow. :smiley:

I took our dog to the groomer this morning. Thanks to them, we found out he has a cyst and are having it treated. I gave the groomer my thanks. His next appointment with the Vet is on Valentines Day at 11:30. Yoga lasts until 11, so it will be tight getting there. I may have DH take him, just to be sure he’s on time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Lisa – glad the surgery went well for you. One of my co-workers had her knee replaced before Christmas and after the first of the year they had to go back in and break up the scar tissue that had formed. She wasn’t doing her PT exercises like she was supposed to. So listen to the doctors, do your exercises and I’m sure you’ll be good as new in no time.

Kylia – so glad Aubrey is doing well and will be coming home!

Carol – not sure the pickle thing would work for me, I like them too much so I’d probably just keep eating!

Rori – nice “new to you” car. When we replaced my husband’s car a couple of years ago, we donated the old one to charity (Goodwill I think it was).

The rollercoaster weather continues! 30’s yesterday, supposed to be 40’s today (along with rain), maybe 50’s and rain on Thursday, then back to the 20’s on Friday. I love living where we have 4 seasons, but not all in one week!

Small setback yesterday – stopped and got Pizza Hut for dinner. I got one with chicken and veggies which wasn’t too bad, but I also had some of my husband’s meat lovers – tastes good but not really good for the diet. Getting back on track today. I keep meaning to sit down on the weekend and plan out our meals (and prep some of them) so I don’t have to think about it when I get home from work every day, just haven’t done it yet. It seems like something else always comes up and I just don’t get it done. I need to start making the time though – put it on the schedule, like grocery shopping every Saturday morning and paying bills every Sunday morning. This will be “meal prep” every Sunday right after lunch or something like that. Once I do it for a couple of weeks hopefully it’ll just become habit.

Janet in rainy, dreary eastern MO
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

You might want to do the 5:2 fast. That is 2 days out of the 7 day week you eat under 500 calories for women and 600 for men. You choose the days. They can be consecutive but don’t have to be. Some of the ladies on here have done or are doing that. Google it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDj_WOchgk
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    💟
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Barbie - what a nice place to walk. I really need to buy proper clothes to be out walking next Winter.

Rori - nice looking car

Yvonne - sounds like a really good plan for eating while you’re away.

Lisa - great news on the surgery. Hope the upset settles fast.

Barbara- it sure is a dirty shame. I have learned so much about other countries on these message boards. It makes me glad to be Canadian. Although Machka’s Australia seems pretty good too.

Kylia - I worry about a couple friends that live alone in the event something happens. I check in with them quite regularly and also check fb messenger to see if they have been online in the last day. It’s tough being away from family in times of need.
    I have been baking my bacon for about 8 years now, best thing I’ve ever done.

I am going to buy a new car battery today, I’m praying that this is the problem with the car. We have things to do next week so really need it running.

It has warmed up to minus 28 so far today, the sun shining in the window has some heat to it today. I noticed last night that there was still some blue sky showing at almost 6, it was nice to see.

Have a great day everyone
    Tracey in Edmonton