Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    @Irdfit and @Claire5520 I have a desk job too and at almost 48 it is REALLY catching up with me. Like others have suggested, my watch reminds me to stand once an hour if I have been sitting. I try to get in 500 steps at least 4 times while at work. I have it mapped out. I also go for a mile walk at lunch most days. I have an indoor and outdoor route planned depending on the weather. The only way I move is if I plan it and hold myself accountable.

I am with you all on the 1200 calorie limit. Most days I can manage so I don’t beat myself up if I go over a little. I use the weekly calories to keep me on track for the week and make sure I stay under that. I don’t really eat my exercise calories everyday unless I am hungry.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Ladies, I must commend you all on the 1200 calorie limit!!! I was there when I first started too, it seems like we all have been or are there. Myself, there is NO WAY I could go back down to that low of calories, I like my Michelob Ultra too dang much! I somehow, now maintain on about 1800-2000 calories a day, sometimes more if there is some vigorous exercises going on, and let's face it when you're a 48 yr old Grammy trying to get fit, there isn't a lot of vigorous exercises :D:):D
    I wish you all the best of luck and have a Kick Butt Tuesday:):)
  • wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey All. 1200 is impossible for me atm as I work from home snack snack. 1200 isn't much and to do that , meals and snacks all.need to be veg salad based (seems to me which isn't a bad thing! ).
    Well I kept my goal of zero whole milk.dairy, and one piece of toast instead of two.
    Ha but I was snacking all day and took no exercise. Haven't put it all in the diary yet !!!
    So I'll keep the same goals for today and add in a muscle workout at the gym and yoga stretches this evening perhaps.
    And an early night !
    Go well all ☺
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Starting all over here too. 60 lbs to lose. :-(

Same here. I'm done being depressed about it and I'm actually trying to do something about it.
    I tried Dry January thinking that would jumpstart my weight loss... nope, apparently that's not enough to lose weight anymore. :( Welcome to my 40s I guess.
    I turned 43 last December and I've slowly been gaining weight for the past few years. I'm now 65 pounds heavier than I was in high school. I honestly can't believe that.
    I have a beach trip planned in May with my girlfriends. I am determined the be in better shape by then. The beach is no fun when you're fat. :(
    Glad I found this board!!
  • wearefab
    Options
    Claire5520 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Can I join?
    I'm 43, 5'8, single mum, work full time. Getting the time to exercise is my biggest challenge. I'm trying and failing to stick to 1200 calories a day. I have a desk job which I hate, and stress eat.
    xx

A free gym! So a coworker and I went there today over lunch and I did 20 min of the elliptical. I'm going to take advantage of this gym and get back in shape! :smiley:

FYI over years in the gym I discovered that going backwards motion with eliptucal tones the butt better!

Using arms at same time is a great workout and arm toner too if you push and pull a bit.

If you put resistance way up and just use legs, and lower hips as if you're going to sit down, then it's as good as squats or lunges.

I love eliptucal and just wanted to share. But really ..20 minutes of any style as long as you enjoy it will be fab! Lucky you !!

• wearefab
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Kept to some goals....no whole milk, one slice of GF bread instead of two at any meal I have bread.
    My other goals were: early night, gym, yoga.
    Wont get early night as napped today - its the secret to getting lower cals - sleep during day!
    I always eat more when Im tired and stressed, im sure we all do.
    Probably wont get to gym, but yoga will, thanks to accountability here.
    I added the late night snacks from ytd, to todays total.
    I also added my physical activity but dont want to make a habit of eating those cals as in the past that hasnt worked for me. Do you eat your exercise cals?
    Have a wonderful day all
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    fm7r0c3mswaw.png
    I shared this on my page this morning and just thought it was a good food for thought. Sometimes we get so crazy trying to track and take care of everything that we forget our reason for our journey. The reason helps me to celebrate my small victories. Have a great day!
  • azkunk
    Options
    My why today is to improve my health. I want to be healthy and able to keep up with my kids. Before this week, my concerns were high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and risk of diabetes. I have a new concern to add to the list. Over the last five days, I have been having episodes where I get super dizzy but it only lasts a minute or two. I have taken my EKG on my watch and they have been “inconclusive” during these episodes. So, I scheduled an appointment with a cardiologist but it’s not for another 3 weeks. I am trying to get a sooner appointment but I’m not sure it will happen. I am really bummed because I have gotten into a routine with exercise and don’t want to lose that momentum. But I think it’s wise to not get my heart rate elevated without knowing what’s going on.

I am not going to let this deter me. I will just have to focus more on the nutrition part of my plan.
  • wearefab
    Options
    @azkunk ☺ I have lots of health issues including the dizzies and heart. Does it only happen when you stand up ? For me what works is still using gym but not busting a gut. Just light or moderate exercycle and moderate weights. As it generally happens standing up , these days I hardly use my beloved eliptical and stick to exercycle. And instead of squat or lunge standing, I use leg press machine.
    I hope you can work out a little as it sounds like you are really enjoying it. Good luck ☺
  • wearefab
    Options
    My why today is feeling good and balanced emotionally. Life throws up loads of stresses. I often respond by eating and my body gets very sick with stress. The over eating and not exercising adds to stress and life becomes a tightly wound unenjoyable tense grind !
    If I avoid the bad ways of dealing with stress then I don't add to it , and life becomes easier.
    So I guess my why is an easy life.
    I also have medical conditions that get worse with overeating and prevent a full life. So I need to manage those
    A healthy full life with an easy mind!
    Today my goals are a yoga or gym session, easy on the bread again , no whole milk again and to go to shop and buy veg because I'm out of veg ! And eat it !
    Go well everyone 😀
  • azkunk
    Options
    wearefab wrote: »
    @azkunk ☺ I have lots of health issues including the dizzies and heart. Does it only happen when you stand up ? For me what works is still using gym but not busting a gut. Just light or moderate exercycle and moderate weights. As it generally happens standing up , these days I hardly use my beloved eliptical and stick to exercycle. And instead of squat or lunge standing, I use leg press machine.
    I hope you can work out a little as it sounds like you are really enjoying it. Good luck ☺

Nope. I was sitting on the floor last night with my daughter and it hit me out of the blue. Felt like I was going to pass out almost.
  • shep5820
    shep5820 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 44 looking to lose- 50-60 lbs. Had first and "Only" child at 40, need to get this weight off. It has been just hangin on. Really would like to partner with someone- this is a hard road. Also became Vegetarian in the last 9 months. Helps alot.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    @shortyjmorgan1 ,my why is my adorable Grandson :)<3
    @wearefab , I did not know that about the elliptical, thanks for the tip!! Oh, I will eat a portion of my exercise calories back, maybe sometimes up to half if I'm hungry.
    @azkunk , I hope you can get to that cardiologist sooner rather than later! Sending prayers your way!
    Happy Hump Day Ladies!
  • wearefab
    Options
    HI all I hope you are going well ?
    Today I met goals of one bread instead of two and no whole milk and some yoga. I also did a lot of housework. .as far as I'm concerned movement is movement!
    I have a lot of travel in the next few days. My goal is no caffeine after 2pm yikes!
    And the same as before.
    A decent walk and or some yoga or gym.
    I do eat a lot of food generally but only because I'm at home so I'm sure that will change in time. ..eating for hunger only is my ultimate goal !!
  • azkunk
    Options
    I love the daily accountability @wearefab!

I called the doctor’s office a found they had a cancellation for tomorrow. I am so happy about that. Hopefully, she will tell me it’s ok to exercise.

I have been a little high on my calories the past 2 days due to Birthday cake a lasagne. Today, I will refrain and try and stay under. Got a bunch of plans this weekend with my sister coming to town. Going to be honest here ... I will be going over my 1200 calories. I am going to enjoy myself and not worry about being perfect. It’s a marathon not a race.
  • wearefab
    Options
    I am checking in here morning and evening to keep my mind targeted and healthy ! I hope I'm not overdoing it for you!
    @azkunk good luck. You'll be a star nearer some clarity 😀 I know what you mean about marathon. Maybe in 20s it was a race but life goes on and we need to be balanced with joy and goals ☺
    Let us know how you go with doc .

I'm reestablishing goals each morning. Travel today and I have only 2 hours until I leave. So that will be pack , fuel , tyres, little yoga maybe a short walk, shower etc and maybe stop for a walk on the way.

I can have coffee fruit and hard boiled eggs on the journey. It's a two day journey followed by a wedding.

Have a great day everyone ☺
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am newly 40 and looking to turn things around. I live in the greater Sacramento area and like to spend time outdoors and with my family but also I love movies and books.

I recently and my annual well visit and got a shock with some of my blood work. I am trying to get back on the healthy lifestyle wagon consistently. I need accountability and motivation.