February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for the group RE: Running a 5K race during marathon training. It just dawned on me that I really haven't done this before. But I am signed up for a 5K on Saturday, right in the thick of my marathon training. For those that do this regularly, how do you handle your long run mileage for the weekend? Do you build it around your 5K or do you do it the next day? As luck would have it, I should be running my first of three twenties this weekend. I plan to do a 3 mile warm up before my race, so that will get me at least 6 for Saturday. I could always do another 14 afterwards, but I am not sure how I like that idea, especially because history has proven that I am incapable of taking it easy during a race. On the other hand, I am worried about how I am going to feel on Sunday after a 5K race in the cold. Any thoughts or perils of wisdom?

For what it's worth, I'd do the long run nice and slow, the next day. I push myself too much on a 5k to even think about doing it the same day, and 20 miles is a LOT for me, so I wouldn't do well racing a 5k the day after the long run either. But other people can handle a couple miles of warming up, then running the 5k at a good effort and continuing to run (home or whatever) until they get to the total goal distance. Depends on what your body is used to.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    5.3 miles treadmill tonight

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0213-6k total-40.7k, goal-80k

Wimped out of running yesterday because it was snowing. (It snows maybe twice a year here. Us weakly Beijingers have neither the gear nor gumption to deal with that.) Ran the shorter work-out of the week because I overslept. Ah well. More snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

@MegaMooseEsq All the talk about hand warmers and pockets struck me as really weird, until I finally put my finger on it - do y'all not have the kind of warming pads that stick to your clothes?

I have ones that stick to my feet. :)

9yhe4mqna826.png

But never had a need to look for other body parts :)
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    14miles / 50 miles

Hmmmm....I need to pick it up a bit if I'm going to make my goal this month.

Nah, just run like 25 miles today and you will be well on your way :lol:

Lol!! Sure! Wait...No. Just No.

I should say, not yet. It is my goal to be able to run a full marathon by next year. I have a plan. Hopefully my old body will follow it!

lol this is kinda my strategy, I have done next to no running the last week (see shoe drama earlier in thread) but now I have new shoes, I'm picking up my old plan (5k per day, 5 days a week) and doing a 20k run/walk this weekend - its for charity though. No idea how much I'm going to run, hopefully half of it. But will see, its been a month since I've done anything greater than about 6k for various reasons.

So further to that, took the new shoes for a 5k this morning. No knee pains (yay!). They felt great. I "noticed" my posterior tibial tendon, not enough to say it hurt, but enough to say I noticed it. So Ill be keeping an eye on that, but by the end of Saturday I'll know for sure. I'm quietly confident because in the past when Ive had issues with that, it wasn't hurting when running, only when walking after. so will see. I just so sensitive about it because that issue stopped me running for almost a month.

Glad your'e doing better!! Which shoes did you get?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've fallen off the horse. I planned on missing 5 runs last week due to a ski trip. However, I returned on Friday and haven't gotten back out there and I have a race on Sunday morning. It's so hard for me to get back in the groove when I miss a few runs even for a valid reason. How do you break that habit of sort of "falling apart"?

Pick a goal that's ridiculously, laughably easy for you, and do it at the first possible opportunity. Say two laps around the block before your shower in the morning. Ten minutes on the treadmill after work. Chances are once you're out there, you'll be up to do more, but if not, then no big deal! Then do it again the next day, and the next, and so on.

Brilliant!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0213-6k total-40.7k, goal-80k

Wimped out of running yesterday because it was snowing. (It snows maybe twice a year here. Us weakly Beijingers have neither the gear nor gumption to deal with that.) Ran the shorter work-out of the week because I overslept. Ah well. More snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

@MegaMooseEsq All the talk about hand warmers and pockets struck me as really weird, until I finally put my finger on it - do y'all not have the kind of warming pads that stick to your clothes?

I have ones that stick to my feet. :)

9yhe4mqna826.png

But never had a need to look for other body parts :)

I have some of those somewhere. TBH, I have a whole bunch of Hot Hands that I need to throw out because they are expired. I bought a bunch several years ago and barely used any. But I also tend to overdress usually.