February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 very good point about the crowd. especially since i won't have anyone waiting for me at the finish line

@kartharmonic for us it's biggish. our marathons aren't very popular. 5ks are king. MKE-the biggest small town :)

Definitely do the biggest one as your first Marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    so do any of the three get any one excited? like if you lived in my area, you would totally race it.
    i've done big races, i've done small races.
    the swag is nice for the big one but that's a lot of people and traffic. but something small might be nice. running holy hill might be a nice first but that one will be hard. the second, you climb a lookout tower and involves the stupid steep inclines of the state park.
    i'm really torn

i wish i had long distance running friends nearby. someone to cheer me on...

@mbaker566 my love of trails is no secret, but for a first marathon, I put all my chips in for the Milwaukee Marathon. There's just no substitute for the experience of a traditional marathon through a big city. With 500 to 600 runners, that's really not a lot for a marathon, but enough that you should be with or near other runners the entire time.

The Via Dolorosa only had 75 runners last year, it's first year in existence. Being on trail with no spectators, you'll be alone for much of it unless you happen to find someone running at your pace. This would be my second choice.

The Trailbreaker is 6 miles of city streets and sidewalks(?!?!), 15 miles of paved trails, and 5 miles of the IAT. You could probably get by with road shoes but it might also be pretty slushy/muddy on the unpaved trail that time of year. Shoe selection might be tricky. I've run that section of the IAT a few times and it's nice, but because of the mix of surfaces and the inclusion of sidewalks, this is my last choice. I couldn't find any results to tell me how big this race is.

Well said.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for the tips on the bladder - Ill give vinegar a go tonight.

I never really thought about this much till now but tomorrow i'm doing a half marathon (well its actually something like 22 and a bit km). without training for it. when did I think that was a good idea... So my plan is to try run the first 12km or so (that will really depend how well I do the hills) and see how I go. I am going to go slow, like turtle pace. Anything less than 3hrs and I'll be happy - though I expect my competitive streak to come out. I will also be wearing new shoes, and trying a new hydration pack. This is for charity, the local fire stations are doing it to raise funds for blood cancer, its ahead of their annual stair climb - climb the tallest tower in the country in full equipment, so several of the participants will be in full gear. in the middle of summer. I will be wearing as little as is decent. far too hot for that.

You know the advice never try new things on a race. well I'm ignoring all that. wish me luck. Crap have to go buy some lollies (sweets) like jelly beans or something. I am so unprepared for this! Should be a hell of a lot of fun!

Just try not to melt... and don't get sunburnt!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for the tips on the bladder - Ill give vinegar a go tonight.

I never really thought about this much till now but tomorrow i'm doing a half marathon (well its actually something like 22 and a bit km). without training for it. when did I think that was a good idea... So my plan is to try run the first 12km or so (that will really depend how well I do the hills) and see how I go. I am going to go slow, like turtle pace. Anything less than 3hrs and I'll be happy - though I expect my competitive streak to come out. I will also be wearing new shoes, and trying a new hydration pack. This is for charity, the local fire stations are doing it to raise funds for blood cancer, its ahead of their annual stair climb - climb the tallest tower in the country in full equipment, so several of the participants will be in full gear. in the middle of summer. I will be wearing as little as is decent. far too hot for that.

You know the advice never try new things on a race. well I'm ignoring all that. wish me luck. Crap have to go buy some lollies (sweets) like jelly beans or something. I am so unprepared for this! Should be a hell of a lot of fun!

Just do what your body tells you you're capable of doing.