February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    I think I am dealing with shin splints in my left leg. I have tried to be very careful about my build up. I took a full week off which helped but I can still feel it. I'm hoping it improves soon. My 1/2 marathon is in 9 weeks!

@debrakgoogins - you might try rolling out your calves really well and doing some gentle calf stretches after your first bit of warm up running. Often time shin splints are a result of tight calves.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Already at goal for the month! Crushing it!! Go Team!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @debrakgoogins - you might try rolling out your calves really well and doing some gentle calf stretches after your first bit of warm up running. Often time shin splints are a result of tight calves.

Thank you for the tip. I haven't been doing that after my warm-ups because I have such a short workout window. I have been doing it after my runs and increasing my yoga classes but will try to make more time for rolling.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat: Ug, so sorry about "you don't look depressed". I don't know if they were trying to help or not, but either way, I can't imagine it's what any depressed person would want to hear. Like, "yes, I did manage to wash my hair this morning, but then I went back to bed for the rest of the day, so I guess that's a net win?" *hugs and fingers crossed that the treatment helps.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 wow that surgery looks cool! (yeah I'm a bone nut being a radiographer). If you are willing, think you can get and share your before and after xrays? I'd love to see them. Only if you are willing though, totally understand if not.

@katharmonic that sux about your back. I get issues with my lower back and find yoga helps. There are a few really good back stretching videos online - though I'm sure you've already tried them. This reminds me. I really need to get my yoga on tonight, been having sciatic pain since that 23k on Saturday.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    hullo, still lurking.

A few thoughts on Geneaology – over here in the UK one of the best sources for historic Parish records (registers of births), without having to find each and every location is actually the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. A while back, when they were keen to baptise all their ancestors, they photographed all the records on microfiche, and you can go to their head office here and scroll through. My mum has done a fair amount of research on her own family, helped somewhat by someone a hundred years ago already having done a lot (and them being 'landed gentry' meaning there are better records).

Famous Ancestors - I am descended from the family of Sir Walter Raleigh, he of the potatoes and tobacco. Also, one of my ancestors died from going into premature labour after falling over a pig.

I would also be very wary of websites that show you descended from someone major - it's very very hard to find information for anything earlier than a few generations because records just weren't kept.

regarding finding your own name printed on stuff, this has NEVER happened for me. EVER. I still look.

@ariceroni - please tell me how you sex a fruit fly?

Running – I am ill. I don’t know if this is thyroid related, or whether I have stomach cancer/a brain tumour/ gastroenteritis/peptic ulcer/multiple sclerosis etc. but I have felt like I am beginning to get a cold/flu for a couple of weeks now, complete with constant headache, stomach cramps and constipation. I don’t much feel like running. The Endo has accepted that I am subclinical hypothyroid and I was given the option of no treatment or start levothyroxine. I pointed out that having headaches for the rest of my life wasn’t an option so could I have the pills please. It’s been less than a week so am hoping things begin to improve in the next month. If not then I probably have one of the diseases mentioned above.

So I haven’t run. I WANT to run, but have no hwyl. It’s five weeks until my half-marathon and my longest run of late is 6.5 miles. I have done several 10mile walks over rough terrain, but if I don’t get back running soon I’ll be staying in bed on HM day. It’s off-road and I have no illusions about being a racing sort of person anyway. It’s 17 weeks until my marathon so that still remains a possibility, providing I don’t have one of the diseases above. Don’t get me wrong, I know I don’t but right now I’m thoroughly depressed by it all. (I was told last week ‘you don’t look depressed’. I wasn’t aware there was a special look. Anyone know?). Actually, part of the reason I DO feel depressed is that both of my sisters DO have horrible diseases like those described above, and I feel guilty talking about being ill like I’m not allowed. Hence why I just walk around with a stiff upper lip and a grimace and pretend everything’s fine. Oh, and I had to call an ambulance for my flatmate because she had a heart arryhthmia thing going on. Send hugs but not prayers.

Having no diagnosis and generalized symptoms is just terrible! I battled doctors for ten years before being diagnosed with lupus, so you have my sympathy.

When I was younger I had a six month period where I seriously thought I was dying of a brain tumor because of constant debilitating headaches and a variety of vague illnesses - turned out to be a neck problem. Physical therapy and I was fine within two weeks. No doctor ever helped in the slightest, except for the one who shrugged and handed me off to the PT who instantly said, "Oh, I see what the problem is!" So, if you haven't tried this avenue yet, a physical therapist might be something to try.

Also, if you are to that point where you suspect that you have "hypochondriac" written in your file because the doctors are ignoring you, one thing to try is asking for a sed rate test. That was the tiny breakthrough that led to my own diagnosis. Sed rate is very nonspecific as far as diagnosing so not too many doctors order it, but a normal one will rule out a lot of things, and an abnormal one will make them sit up and pay attention instead of believing it's all in your head. And it's inexpensive.

Hoping you have better days soon! And that your flatmate is okay.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Three years ago at Pittsburg (I think it was three, might be 2 or 4) a coworker of my actually did run the full marathon by mistake. Right around mile 12, there is a turnoff. You either bear left and head towards the finish of the half, or you go straight and continue on the full.

He missed that turn somehow and someplace around mile 14 or 15 he realized it said, "ah well might as well finish it now" and completed the full as his first marathon, but ended up with a DNF in the half and no official time for the full. I suspect he could have talked to the race people and worked something out, but he never tried as far as I know.

I have seen that turn off, and I have no clue how he missed it. I mean there are signs, flags, and people all yelling and etc. I mean they make it SO clear that when I pass it I start to wonder if I was supposed to turn too. heh.

I have been paranoid about missing a split. Every race it has been extremely obvious but I still worry. LOL

At a 5k once volunteers sent some people the full course and others they shorted. I was told to go the correct way but a friend that was behind me was told a different way. I'm not sure if it was different volunteers or they got confused or what. They had no signs so we were dependent on volunteers.